posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Carbon nanotubes revisited

I'm reading more and more articles about carbon
nanotubes. The most recent being an article
about their use in reinforcing the binding resin
in carbon fiber.

Not one article has discussed health issues.
I know first hand that the human body can
get rid of fiberglass fibers. Scratch enough
and your skin will blister and shed the material.

So what happens when the fiber are nano-scale
and can penetrate individual cells? How does
the human body get rid of them?

What are the long term effects?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

In article . com,
Bart wrote:
I'm reading more and more articles about carbon
nanotubes. The most recent being an article
about their use in reinforcing the binding resin
in carbon fiber.

Not one article has discussed health issues.
I know first hand that the human body can
get rid of fiberglass fibers. Scratch enough
and your skin will blister and shed the material.

So what happens when the fiber are nano-scale
and can penetrate individual cells? How does
the human body get rid of them?

What are the long term effects?

Cheap access to Earth orbit.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 19:34:10 -0700, Bart
wrote this crap:

So what happens when the fiber are nano-scale
and can penetrate individual cells? How does
the human body get rid of them?

What are the long term effects?

Fiberglass is almost pure silicon. I don't see a problem.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bart wrote:
I'm reading more and more articles about carbon
nanotubes. The most recent being an article
about their use in reinforcing the binding resin
in carbon fiber.

Interesting idea; what's the benefit of nanotubes over short strands
of plain ol' carbon fiber?

Not one article has discussed health issues.
I know first hand that the human body can
get rid of fiberglass fibers. Scratch enough
and your skin will blister and shed the material.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean your skin grows back at 100% of original
condition afterwards.

So what happens when the fiber are nano-scale
and can penetrate individual cells? How does
the human body get rid of them?

What are the long term effects?

Don't know about nano-scale effects, but I can tell you that carbon
fiber makes wicked splinters.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sep 1, 8:34 pm, (Jonathan Ganz) wrote:
In article . com,

Cheap access to Earth orbit.- Hide quoted text -

You mean a space elevator? That'd be cool. I was recently rereading
Clarke's "Fountains of Paradise" coincidentally.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Frank" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Sep 1, 8:34 pm, (Jonathan Ganz) wrote:
In article . com,

Cheap access to Earth orbit.- Hide quoted text -

You mean a space elevator? That'd be cool. I was recently rereading
Clarke's "Fountains of Paradise" coincidentally.

Amazing that he and other sci-fi writers thought so far in advance. Great
book...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sep 2, 9:12 am, wrote:
Bart wrote:
I'm reading more and more articles about carbon
nanotubes. The most recent being an article
about their use in reinforcing the binding resin
in carbon fiber.

Interesting idea; what's the benefit of nanotubes over short strands
of plain ol' carbon fiber?

Any sort of fiber that thicken resin and fills the
voids in the resin will increase strength. But if
you want to keep the resin thin, it seems carbon
nanotubes--being so small work best.

OT - IE7RC1 Revisited Butch Davis General 4 October 8th 06 12:38 AM
Tides Revisited Bart Senior ASA 26 January 21st 06 11:58 PM
Who are we? How did we get here? Revisited Tinkerntom General 2 December 8th 04 02:49 PM
The VW Thing Revisited Bobsprit ASA 0 October 30th 03 12:23 PM