posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default What's the difference?

Between a Bowspirt and a Pulpit?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 09:13:33 -0700, Joe
wrote:

Between a Bowspirt and a Pulpit?

Joe

I always thought that a pulpit denoted a handrail high cage at the
bow, while a sprit is an extension past the bow to extend the anchor
point of the forestay.

Frank
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:
Between a Bowspirt and a Pulpit?

One is a railing, the other is a spar.

Frank Boettcher wrote:
I always thought that a pulpit denoted a handrail high cage at the
bow, while a sprit is an extension past the bow to extend the anchor
point of the forestay.

One key difference is that standing rigging and/or a sail should not
be supported by a bow pulpit, it's function is to keep personnel on
board.

What do you think of the term "pushpit" for a stern pulpit? Clear?
Clever? Cutesy?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Frank Boettcher wrote:
I always thought that a pulpit denoted a handrail high cage at the
bow, while a sprit is an extension past the bow to extend the anchor
point of the forestay.

One key difference is that standing rigging and/or a sail should not
be supported by a bow pulpit, it's function is to keep personnel on
board.

So what's it called when you have a handrail and standing rigging?

Joe

What do you think of the term "pushpit" for a stern pulpit? Clear?
Clever? Cutesy?

Stern pulpit is more clear..followed by pushing pulpit. We talking
gondola's?

Joe

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:
Between a Bowspirt and a Pulpit?

Joe

Bowsprit's are extensions from the bow of the boat while a Pulpit is the
cage that encloses the bow's deck area although you can have a pulpit
enclosing the bowsprit also...having a bowsprit allows you to have a
larger cut jib that extends out, increasing sail area or to run a second
stay out to carry a drifter or second jib..a bowsprit also makes a
diving platform for teenaged boys or anyone else wanting to clambor up
there to use it for that purpose...I prefer diving off the stern myself...

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:
So what's it called when you have a handrail and standing rigging?

Is your standing rigging led to the handrail? I don't recall seeing
that in your photos.

Sometimes there is a big conglomeration of stuff sticking out the
front of boats... a bowsprit topped by a grating or platform topped by
a large bow pulpit. There is also a thing called a plank bowsprit
which is both a platform & a spar, in one. It seems likely to me what
you're looking at is both a bowsprit and a pulpit.

Do you have a martingale, too?

What do you think of the term "pushpit" for a stern pulpit? Clear?
Clever? Cutesy?

Stern pulpit is more clear..followed by pushing pulpit. We talking
gondola's?

Agree.... I think "pushpit" is bit cutesy.

There is a special word for the projecting oarlock at the stern of a
gondola, but I have forgotten it. BTW Venetian gondola have asymmetric
hulls so that they are easier to row straight with one stern oar.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
Between a Bowspirt and a Pulpit?

Joe

Check your spelling. A bowsprit is really nothing more than a mast on
the bow canted well forward.

http://www.all-model.com/wolfram/PAGE15.html

Modern day yachts have morphed the bowsprit into more of a bow platform
on which one can walk and handle anchors which are stored on bow
rollers. The bow pulpit may or may not enclose the bowsprit.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:

Frank Boettcher wrote:

I always thought that a pulpit denoted a handrail high cage at the
bow, while a sprit is an extension past the bow to extend the anchor
point of the forestay.

One key difference is that standing rigging and/or a sail should not
be supported by a bow pulpit, it's function is to keep personnel on
board.

So what's it called when you have a handrail and standing rigging?

On the Elissa it was called "the widow maker."

Jim

Where is the difference? Matt Pieklik General 2 November 14th 06 03:07 PM
difference between DSC and AIS? luc Electronics 10 April 18th 06 04:02 PM
The Difference... Captain Lon ASA 40 April 24th 05 03:37 AM
What's the difference . . . Capt. Neal® ASA 7 January 8th 05 05:04 PM
difference between PDA and PPC ? Courtney Thomas Electronics 6 January 10th 04 11:32 PM