posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Another Blow to Sloco!

Back when I was comparing the Beneteau 38 to the 35s5 and seeking info
on the WK....I got a lot of help in newsgroups. These responses can be
googled. Poor Sloco won't enjoy reading them!

"In my neighborhood my 35s5 ( wing keel ) has done well scratch
against boats rating down to 100. It always takes silver. It's
been
the top boat at the club since it came there. The boat will give you
what you are willing to put into it. I'm not a big fan of the wing
keel and the short rudder that make up the shoal draft pkg but you can
make it work. My observation has been that there have been a few
bad hulls but rather that there has been an abundant supply of bad
crews running otherwise good hulls."

and....

"The First 38 in my area was even ( head to head ) with the 35s5. It
was well sailed. Apart from the weight and size the First 38 handles
well and feels good. Comparatively the 35s5 feels like a dingy
compared to the 38. The 38 is a good boat, but can't deal with a 35s5
in light air. The First 38 is a VERY good racer and rated lower than
the 35s5 W."

and....

"The 35s5 we crewed on won a lot of races. Pointed with everything,
but
needed a serious crew to win, that's for sure. We bought one to cruise
because we liked it so much. Be prepared for a workout."

and....

" The rating for a First 38 typically is in the mid teens in most
areas
and the 35s5 is in the mid 120's so the rating spread is not that
much. Crew skill is a larger factor as a well sailed 35s5 or First 38
are both pretty fast boats."

and....

" From the polar diagrams it is difficult to see any difference in
the
performance of the boats. Indeed the performance is nearly identical.
The lead keel version has slightly more stability and slightly less
wetted surface. The deep lead version is a bit faster upwind and tight
reaching (2.5% faster). The performance downwind is nearly identical.
The lead keel version has less keel wetted surface but overall
displacement is greater so the total wetted surface is the same. If
you
need any more information I will do my best to help you."

and....

"Robert, if you don't plan to race seriously, the 35s5 will torture
you
at times. As a fast cruiser she's fantastic, but this boat responds to
sail trim like a race boat. As said before, not forgiving on the race
coarse, but as a cruiser she's a blast even when things are off."

and....

"If you race, the 35s5 will need each crew member to be skilled. I'm
sorry, it's not a forgiving boat. Do everything right, and she'll win
lot. If you're not racing, just have fun passing most other cruisers
in
most conditions."

"Robert, the 35s5 will be fast, but she'll easily fall short of the
ultimate performance without good crew. You've heard it before; she's
not forgiving of anything. As a fast cruiser you can't do much better
though and you'll pass almost everything crusing in her range, unless
they are racers. Good luck."

Well....two seasons later and the 35s5 has been fun, fast and comfy!
We've used the swim platform a lot. The interior is great with room
for adults to sleep. The head is sized right for reading! The aft bunk
is easy to keep cool. She's faster than most boats! About the only
thing we don't like is the aged mainsheet/vang system, which we'll
upgrade shortly.
Sucks to be Sloco!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Dozens of wins?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It is really pathetic to read this stuff. We all know that you only do
short day sailing with a little toddler on board and a crew of people who
look as if they are just out for a day sail and are certainly anything but
racing crew. Yet all you talk about (apart from cars, home cinemas, etc)
is how fast your boat is and how you are going to get deck sweeping 150%
(or more) mylar genoas and other sails quite unsuitable for the type of
sailing you do and the type of people you take for crew. You mock people
who have boats that suit their own requirements while you yourself sail a
boat whose potential you can never really achieve. That is why you probably
never go far from your dock Your crew could probably not cope with reefing
and a change of foresail if it suddenly came on to blow while you were out.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

It is really pathetic to read this stuff. We all know that you only do
short day sailing with a little toddler on board and a crew of people who
look as if they are just out for a day sail and are certainly anything but
racing crew.

Well some of them do race, but we don't. What's wrong with that?

is how fast your boat is and how you are going to get deck sweeping 150%
(or more) mylar genoas and other sails quite unsuitable for the type of
sailing you do and the type of people you take for crew.

That's silly. I get nice sails because I enjoy tweaking the boat, just
like I enjoy a performance car. What's wrong with that?

You mock people
who have boats that suit their own requirements while you yourself sail a
boat whose potential you can never really achieve.

Sloco has been "mocking" me and the 35s5 from day 1, even though
racing does not interest us. What do you have to say to him? Or is
this critism only for me, and does not apply to others like Jeff or
Bart, who boast that the way they use thier boats is best?

That is why you probably
never go far from your dock

Block Island is about the limit for now. So?

Your crew could probably not cope with reefing
and a change of foresail if it suddenly came on to blow while you were out.

That's silly. I've reefed all of my boats...sometimes not quickly
enough. With the 35s5 I generally fly under the main alone in heavy
air and she does great. That was one of the reasons I wanted the 35s5
and the fractional rig.
Of course the bottom line...my boat is BEST!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

must you gay up every post?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Aug 29, 6:49 am, "Capt. Rob" wrote:
[...]

Even if the boat is a needy racer who cares? If the boat is a fast
cruiser than it has place in the market. I feel that too many cruisers
are not concerned enough with speed and efficiency. A good fast boat
and the knowledge of how to maximize speed is very important when
cruising. Speed will get you out of trouble often.

DrRolex
www.aandewatches.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Lots of trash talk but where are the wins? Like I posted, when the
nitwit was looking at the boat and making claims about it's
performance newsgroup members did an extensive web search for race
results that had 35s5s entered. 75% of the time the 35s5s finished
after the class that started after them. The few races that were won
were really non events. The Boob had boasted that he was going to do
some racing this summer. I'm sure after sailing the floating condo he
decided against it. He'll probably say the retarted kid kept him from
getting out there.

35s5.......crosses after the Catalina 27s.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

performance newsgroup members did an extensive web search for race
results that had 35s5s entered. 75% of the time the 35s5s finished

Newsgroup members = Bob Crantz, a sockpuppet!!!
A boat that does well or wins 25% of the time either has a great
rating, sails well or both.

Thanks for supporting my point. Oh, and the link I posted with
Twazam's win was 200 boats racing, but I guess that's a non-event.
Also, Windriven continues to take silver each year. And the solo
across the Atlantic race won by a 35s5 race was a NON EVENT????!!!!

Okay, Sloco! BWAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA! I hope you enjoy your boat as much
as I do making fun of it!!! But I doubt it.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

He'll probably say the retarted kid kept him from
getting out there.

Just wanted the rest of ASA to see what sort Sloco is.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Even if the boat is a needy racer who cares? If the boat is a fast
cruiser than it has place in the market. I feel that too many
cruisers
are not concerned enough with speed and efficiency.

Dungmaster is not going to understand this. Life silly Jeff he
believes that the way he uses his boat is superior to everyone else.
If we wanted to race we would have bought a FASTER boat by far. I
wouldn't waste time with 35s5's or any sloco style boats like the
clumsy looking Express 30.
We wanted a weekend cruiser that would be fun and fast and that's what
we got. It kills Sloco that it's a far nicer boat than his. It's a
nightmare for him, or why else would he bother talking about racing
that we don't do??? It's utterly sad. Next he'll tell everyone that
the 35s5 is a pretty bad mountain climber!
The 35s5 is a quick and fun cruiser, even by the most modern standard.
Why wouldn't anyone want a comfy sleek cruiser that's faster than a
J30 or Express 30? Sloco hates the fact that we sail faster and the
boats not on it's ass to do it. At 9 knots it's another story of
course!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAWA!!!!

RB
35s5
NY

Vegetable blow job CovvTseTung ASA 28 February 11th 07 04:27 AM
Vegetable blow job CovvTseTung ASA 39 February 9th 07 09:42 PM
One more Death Blow! Capt. Rob ASA 0 August 16th 06 12:09 PM
Our turn for a blow! Don White General 0 September 27th 03 09:20 PM
The Final Blow Bobsprit ASA 176 September 11th 03 02:15 PM