posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Why Doug is an Idiot

Back when I was buying the 35s5 I posted some pics of her hull and
mentioned that the surevyor and I had discussed her IOR influenced
hull shape.
Doug, of course, chimed in claiming this was not so and even ignored
the pics. Naturally since then anyone I've spoken to about that era of
boats and the 35s5 was aware of the IOR elements.
Once again I prove that the King of Keels is not only a powerboater,
but a royal ass know-it all who should learn to keep his mouth shut.

http://www.sailingmagazine.net/perry_beneteau35s5.html

Maybe Doug knows more about desihn than Perry, but I doubt it. At this
point I question anything that Doug says and assume from the git-go
that he's wrong or echoing old text.

And also...it's nice to see that Perry calls the 35s5....

"Of course, Beneteau led the way and its First 35s5 is an excellent
example of the breed."

and...

"Philippe Stark did the interior layout and décor touches. I liked his
work. The boats had a definite contemporary look to them with their
metal trim details but with veneers and solid trim finished in a dark
stained mahogany I always felt they had a comfortable feel."

And Perry makes it clear that the 35s5 is anything but ordinary
looking....

"These boats were distinctly different in appearance from the Tartans,
Ericsons and the Sabre lines. You either liked this look or you
preferred the more conventional look. "

Have a nice day!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 20:45:18 -0000, "Capt. Rob"
wrote:

[...]

Good stuff, Rob. What I like about you most is how you so easily look
down your aristocratic nose at the poseurs here who have no problem
mocking the Mac 26M. And yet they take great offense at your mocking
of their pedestrian boats, attitudes, and factual errors.
How easily you expose their hypocrisy, as seen in their weak and
practically speechless responses. They are often reduced to changing
your words into something they can address juvenile responses at.
I imagine you often find yourself muttering "Is that all you got!?"
when reading the responses to your posts.
Given your apparent appreciation of the arts, and of family, I don't
buy the accusation by some that you are basely materialistic, but
think you simply use the financial power that you have to throw the
materialistic claims of others, and their precious claims of owning a
"better" boat, of being a "better" sailor, or a "saltier" sailor back
in their faces.
All part of taking them down a notch or three.
Another strength of yours is your love of sailing for the joy of
sailing itself. No endless arguing about how to gain a tenth of a
knot of speed, or pretending that a degree of angle on a sail makes
you a better sailor. You know who you are, and that's good enough for
you. Let the others argue about cedar buckets, and go on and on about
methane and other childish nonsense.
Frankly, it is your continual puncturing of the airbags here who would
cast a disdainful eye at the Mac 26M that has led me more and more in
the direction of that boat.
You have set an example here by showing that the views of computer
arm-chair sailors mean nothing, and that the most important point of
sailing is to simply sail, and sail with joy, as you often prove with
your pics and videos. (I think that little chuckle you often include
in the vids is telling - and artful.)
Since I do not have your financial means, I must set my sights lower
than your Bennie, and see the Mac 26M as probably the most practical
way to get out there sailing, however slowly boat and crew fare with
the winds. We shall see.
In any case I hope to sail with the Joie de Vivre you consistently
express here. Hey, that might be the name for my Mac 26M - or
whatever sailboat I end up with. French is nice, if it fits.
In the meantime, here's wishing you and the others here who actually
hoist canvas - good sailing!
Hope to join you soon!

--Vic
posted to alt.sailing.asa

At least the MAC 26 hull doesn't have any IOR influence. The Boob
keeps defending that feature of his yacht. Most people in the know
would want to keep that a secret. IOR boats were the worst.

idiot! [email protected] General 25 June 30th 06 08:57 PM
Doug is an Idiot Capt. Rob ASA 1 October 26th 05 10:44 PM
Oh my, I'm such an idiot! Lady Pilot ASA 7 December 7th 04 01:08 PM
Idiot #2 Bobsprit ASA 2 June 26th 04 02:19 AM
Idiot #3 Bobsprit ASA 0 June 25th 04 12:48 PM