posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default ...and the panic sets in?

A couple of times I've seen people that were smart
enough to do their research on paper, and buy a
quality boat that was too much for them, and then
realized they were over their heads and seek
professional help when that sense of panic sets in.

Have you seen or felt that "What have I done to myself
now!" feeling. These people suddenly realized that
their skills are not up to the task. I hope they realize
there is a very real danger of death or disaster.

Years ago it was a couple intending to sail around
the world on a older Full Keel Pacific Seacraft, only
to find they were terrified to dock the boat--even
after taking lessons. Even with spring lines that boat
was the most difficult boat I've ever had to dock,
because of the full keel, and horrible rudder.

This week I had a chance to sail a gorgeous wooden
Hinckley. This couple clearly learned that Hinckley
yachts were classy boats. The size was right, and
perhaps the price also-it is a wooden boat. But
it was also an older boat and older boats need
skilled maintenance. Any boat this size needs
a confident and skilled skipper.

The boat had two nice Lewmar self-tailers, and
roller furling for the genoa. I didn't pull out the
other sails because the fresh varnish has glued
the aft lazarette closed. Many of the cleats were
updated to gorgeous stainless steel Herreshoft cleats.
That was about it for updating in the area of deck
hardware.

The boat looked great. Nice varnish, solid hull,
good sails, and perfect decks. But beauty is only
skin deep.

There was no reefing gear except for reef points. No
turning blocks, no pad-eyes to attach reef lines. No
tack hook or any other means of securing the tack
when reefed. Just a few dangling reef points that
were meant only to keep the sail from falling down
--not for taking a load!

The traveler was two slides with an awkward pin which
needed to be dropped to the low side the let the main
out all the way--the main sheet was too short.

Gybing was a breeze because there was so much
friction in the blocks, the main could not come over
hard. Also, the short main sheet meant it was impossible
to slam the boom into the shrouds.

Every one of the shrouds was loose--I was tempted to
pluck them to see if I could hit a few bass notes but
they would probably be below human hearing...

The tiller looked like it came off of a 15' day-sailor. I found
a replacement tiller in the lazarette. Clearly, the prior
owner planned to replace the temporary one that was
installed with the better used one but never got around to it.

The engine wasn't running too well. When a diesel
stalls--it's bad news. The engine surged and ran poorly
at lower throttle settings. It stalled several times. It
was not charging the batteries. I was unable to tighten
the alternator belt without a long screw driver for a lever.
The batteries read between 12.0 and 12.4 Volts. I think
they are damaged.

While it was a fine boat, it was not the best boat for
beginners without any mechanical or electrical skills.

I did my best to explain what was needed to update
the boat and got "lost and confused" looks. I showed
them how to sail off the mooring and how to sail back
but they seemed afraid to sail the boat even though
it actually handled quite well under sail.

I tried to explain that the boat could be changed and
they could chose how to change it for the better. I don't
think I got through. I hope and pray that this will be
a wonderful learning experience for them, not a
string of disasters.

Bart

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bart wrote:
[...]

Maybe they'll learn fast through attrition? Cahnteuse was previously
owned by an older couple who uswed her as a cottage once they found she
was "Skittish and tippy"....they were afraid to sail her because she
heeld over "so hard" (we've never had her more than 30, even in beamy
seas with a lot of wind)...of course, they did not know how to use the
in-boom furling system and had no reef ties...they had never refefed
her! If the winds are over 15, we don't even leave the dovk without
reeding first...what I never understand is why beginner's buy a big boat
first instead of going up the ladder in an organized fashion, learning
along the way...I know that that takes time and energy, buying and
selling boats, but they could lease with another couple or
something...buying "the" boat first just creates unnecesarry angst and
often destroys the desire...
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bart" wrote:

Every one of the shrouds was loose--I was tempted to
pluck them to see if I could hit a few bass notes but
they would probably be below human hearing...

Wooden boats aren't tuned like glass boats. If you tighten
all those puppies up they will push the mast into the keel
and start some impressive leaking. Been there done that...

Seahag

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Aug 11, 2:48 am, Bart wrote:
[...]

This seems to be happening alot more these days as baby boomers with
alot of disposable income sink it into a big boat. Their first boat.
It used to be that you bought what you could afford which meant a
smaller boat and as your income increased over the years, so did the
size of your boat, but so did your experience level.

There are alot of first time boat owners in 45 -50 footers in my
marina. It scares me sometimes but they have the right.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Seahag wrote:
"Bart" wrote:
Every one of the shrouds was loose--I was tempted to
pluck them to see if I could hit a few bass notes but
they would probably be below human hearing...

Wooden boats aren't tuned like glass boats. If you tighten
all those puppies up they will push the mast into the keel
and start some impressive leaking. Been there done that...

Seahag

Shrouds? Shrouds?? What are they???

--

Flying Tadpole
----------------------------------

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Flying Tadpole" wrote:
Seahag wrote:
"Bart" wrote:
Every one of the shrouds was loose--I was tempted to
pluck them to see if I could hit a few bass notes but
they would probably be below human hearing...

Wooden boats aren't tuned like glass boats. If you
tighten all those puppies up they will push the mast into
the keel and start some impressive leaking. Been there
done that...

Shrouds? Shrouds?? What are they???

Strings that go up along the sides of a boat. They can be
very handy for hanging doodads and other thingamabobs on,
such as belaying pins and ratlines. Can be made more
interesting with the application of baggywinkle

Seahag

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Seahag wrote:
"Flying Tadpole" wrote:

Seahag wrote:

"Bart" wrote:

Every one of the shrouds was loose--I was tempted to
pluck them to see if I could hit a few bass notes but
they would probably be below human hearing...

Wooden boats aren't tuned like glass boats. If you
tighten all those puppies up they will push the mast into
the keel and start some impressive leaking. Been there
done that...

Shrouds? Shrouds?? What are they???

Strings that go up along the sides of a boat. They can be
very handy for hanging doodads and other thingamabobs on,
such as belaying pins and ratlines. Can be made more
interesting with the application of baggywinkle

Seahag

His boat hasn't any...the sticks just sit there all on their lonesome.....
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message
Seahag wrote:
"Flying Tadpole" wrote:

Seahag wrote:

"Bart" wrote:

Every one of the shrouds was loose--I was tempted to
pluck them to see if I could hit a few bass notes but
they would probably be below human hearing...

Wooden boats aren't tuned like glass boats. If you tighten all those
puppies up they will push the mast into the keel and start some
impressive leaking. Been there done that...

Shrouds? Shrouds?? What are they???

Strings that go up along the sides of a boat. They can be very handy for
hanging doodads and other thingamabobs on, such as belaying pins and
ratlines. Can be made more interesting with the application of
baggywinkle

Seahag

His boat hasn't any...the sticks just sit there all on their lonesome.....

Ya think? R U losing Ur mind as well as Ur eyesight? U have no sense of
humour. Haggie duz.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message
Seahag wrote:
"Flying Tadpole" wrote:

Seahag wrote:

"Bart" wrote:

Every one of the shrouds was loose--I was tempted to
pluck them to see if I could hit a few bass notes but
they would probably be below human hearing...

Wooden boats aren't tuned like glass boats. If you
tighten all those puppies up they will push the mast

into
the keel and start some impressive leaking. Been there
done that...

Shrouds? Shrouds?? What are they???

Strings that go up along the sides of a boat. They can

be
very handy for hanging doodads and other thingamabobs

on,
such as belaying pins and ratlines. Can be made more
interesting with the application of baggywinkle

Seahag

His boat hasn't any...the sticks just sit there all on

their lonesome.....

at least he has sticks...

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 10:05:46 -0400, "Captain Crunch"
wrote this crap:

Ya think? R U losing Ur mind as well as Ur eyesight? U have no sense of
humour. Haggie duz.

This isn't text messaging, stupid dumbass! We use proper "grammer."

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

Panic funk Roger Long Cruising 8 June 9th 06 06:00 PM
Rec.boats sets Usenet Record General 0 August 23rd 05 12:49 AM
52-pound Striper Sets Maryland Record Butch Davis General 1 May 21st 05 03:57 PM
Severe cabin fever sets in. Capt. Neal® ASA 7 March 30th 05 03:37 AM
panic switch for autopilot Daniel Electronics 9 December 18th 04 04:31 PM