posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Jeff, another catamaran capsize and breakup at sea

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 11:29:04 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

The capsized catamaran looks like it has sugar scoop transoms.

Hard to tell but I think both hulls are lying on their sides in the
main picture and you are looking at the rudders flipped upwards. The Y
boat picture blows up quite well but I am not sure what I am looking
at there.

The tiki
has no such thing,The Lagoon 38 does have sugar scoops, though. The
question is does the Lagoon have a keels or daggerboards (or
centerboards)? The capsized boat has no sign of a keel of any sort so it
must have daggerboards. But you can see the spar at the bow sticking up
at an odd angle. It's still attached to one hull but not the other.

Wilbur Hubbard
--- Catamaran - two unseaworthy boats joined together to make another
one?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com..
..
If you fear keel bolts then go with an encapsulated keel.

Encapsulated keels are still held on with bolts 'Wilbur'

posted to alt.sailing.asa

.
If you fear keel bolts then go with an encapsulated keel.

Encapsulated keels are still held on with bolts 'Wilbur'

Maybe that's what it means in Jolly Ole England but on this side of the
Pond an encapsulated keel is ballast inside a keel which is an integral
part of the hull. Usually chunks of lead or pig iron held in place with
concrete or resin.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Edgar" wrote in message

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com..
.
If you fear keel bolts then go with an encapsulated keel.

Encapsulated keels are still held on with bolts 'Wilbur'

Maybe that's what it means in Jolly Ole England but on this side of the
Pond an encapsulated keel is ballast inside a keel which is an integral
part of the hull. Usually chunks of lead or pig iron held in place with
concrete or resin.

Wilbur Hubbard

Yes, you are right. We are not talking the same language. What you describe
is certainly an encapsulated keel.
However my boat also has an encapsulated keel which in this case is a lead
keel held on with bolts and then covered with GRP enabling a really smooth
outside finish.
Often this is done to iron keels and the GRP also stops the iron from
rusting, (that is until you ground on something that splits the GRP and
allows the rust to start creeping up between the keel and the GRP).

I once boarded a small keelboat with 'your' type of encapsulated keel and
she heeled over so much I thought I was about to take a swim. She was
supposed to have 8 or 9 cwt of iron inthe keel.
I persuaded the owner to let me cut open his keel from inside the cabin and
found there was no iron there at all-the space in the keel was just filled
with foam! No wonder the builder went bust.
I raked out all the foam and put in 8 cwt of pig iron and glassed it in and
she instantly became a different boat to sail. The owner was a novice sailor
and did not realise that the boat was not supposed to sail to windward
heeled down to the gunwhales. (or even 'gunnels')

posted to alt.sailing.asa

It was a Wharram, and the poor owner worked and maintained that boat
every weekend at least. She was next to us on a pontoon at Glasson
Dock so can probably find a photo if any of you are interested.