BoatBanter.com

-   -   Two head sails (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/84621-two-head-sails.html)

Joe August 3rd 07 06:18 PM

Two head sails

What's the best way to tack when yer flying two headsails without
someone on the fore deck feeding the forward forsail around the aft
forsail stay?

Ya follow me? Say a 100% on both forestays.

Joe

katy August 3rd 07 06:34 PM

Two head sails

Joe wrote:
What's the best way to tack when yer flying two headsails without
someone on the fore deck feeding the forward forsail around the aft
forsail stay?

Ya follow me? Say a 100% on both forestays.

Joe

Roll up the forward sail to where it won't interfer and tack on the
foresail attached to your jib boom...then let out the foresail when the
tack is nearly completed....

Joe August 3rd 07 06:45 PM

Two head sails

On Aug 3, 12:34 pm, katy wrote:
Joe wrote:
What's the best way to tack when yer flying two headsails without
someone on the fore deck feeding the forward forsail around the aft
forsail stay?

Ya follow me? Say a 100% on both forestays.

Joe

Roll up the forward sail to where it won't interfer and tack on the
foresail attached to your jib boom...then let out the foresail when the
tack is nearly completed....

I'd rather feed it around by hand then risk roll up failure at sea,
no jib boom...yet.
Guess I could use block and tackle from the bow to the fore foresail
clew in the same way.

Joe

katy August 3rd 07 06:55 PM

Two head sails

Joe wrote:
On Aug 3, 12:34 pm, katy wrote:

Joe wrote:

What's the best way to tack when yer flying two headsails without
someone on the fore deck feeding the forward forsail around the aft
forsail stay?

Ya follow me? Say a 100% on both forestays.

Joe

Roll up the forward sail to where it won't interfer and tack on the
foresail attached to your jib boom...then let out the foresail when the
tack is nearly completed....

I'd rather feed it around by hand then risk roll up failure at sea,
no jib boom...yet.
Guess I could use block and tackle from the bow to the fore foresail
clew in the same way.

Joe

If you're having roll up failures maybe you need to get your furler rig
upgraded....without a furler it sounds like a mess...BTW...are you
having that dead sea preoblem where you're at because of all the unusual
heavy rains in Texas flooding the Gulf and keeping the oxygen levels
low? They had a blurb on the tube the other night (May have been CNN)
where an ocenaographer was talking about the shrimp industry possibly
suffering, along with some of the commercial fishers....

Joe August 3rd 07 07:11 PM

Two head sails

On Aug 3, 12:55 pm, katy wrote:
Joe wrote:
On Aug 3, 12:34 pm, katy wrote:

Joe wrote:

[...]

suffering, along with some of the commercial fishers....- Hide quoted text -

Well the baby shrimp are being washed out of the grasslands a bit
young I suspect, but I don't really know how it's affecting the shrimp
season. I may have to run to Roseys and see..sounds good for dinner.
We have had 18 inches of rain in the last 30 days. The local
weathermen are comparing the history of heavy rain in July and are
tying it to major hurricane strikes here in Texas. In 1900 they has a
similar rainy July and Galveston got wiped out, same when Camellie and
Alicia years.

Most likely they are just grasping straws. Knock on wood.

From Da news:

After a rather wet July, the National Weather Service said the threat
of late season hurricanes should be a concern for Southeast Texans.

Meteorologist Jim Sweeney said the Golden Triangle has seen more than
twice the normal amount of rainfall for this time of year and is
caused by a weaker high pressure ridge in the Atlantic.

"What it does is swing like a conveyor belt all the moisture right
into Texas," he said. "The upper level low pressure is a like magnet
on moisture."

Sweeney said the NWS always tells people to have their emergency
preparedness kits ready because it is never too early to prepare.

"Review your tropical preparedness information, check to see if you
have enough batteries, cash on hand, drinking water and at least a
half a tank of gas," he said.

Sweeney said recent high level easterly winds concern him, but any
tropical development at this time would cause more trouble for the
Windward Islands of the Lesser Antilles than the Gulf of Mexico.

"The trajectory would take it (tropical formations) to the Yucatan if
anything develops," Sweeney said. "But ultimately, something could
develop if the water temperature increases like it does in the later
summer months."

The NWS meteorologist said to minimize tropical activity, he would
like to see westerly winds in the tropics to keep any formations from
developing.

However, the rain Southeast Texans have seen during the week will
continue due to favorable upper level dynamics.

"Beyond Friday, the forecast calls for less rainfall, but everyone
should keep an eye on the weather at least a week in advance," Sweeney
advised.

Joe

Capt. JG August 3rd 07 07:34 PM

Two head sails

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
What's the best way to tack when yer flying two headsails without
someone on the fore deck feeding the forward forsail around the aft
forsail stay?

Ya follow me? Say a 100% on both forestays.

Joe

Slowly, with just enough to finish the tack. If you ease the lines as the
jibs are luffing, then you should be able to pull the forward of the two
sails through the space between the two forestays, especially with a 100%
jib (or smaller). The jib sheets are going to be an issue, so you'll need
more than one person doing it. As long as you don't have a lot of tension on
the jib, you shouldn't have significant abrasion on the sails.

If I could, I'd furl the jib in front, as Katy suggested, tack, then unfurl
it. I can't imagine having that much sail up in heavy air, so unless there's
something wrong with the furler, it shouldn't be an issue. Of course,
there's always the possibility of failure, but there's a lot less chance
with careful observation/maintenance.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Wilbur Hubbard August 3rd 07 08:36 PM

Two head sails

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
What's the best way to tack when yer flying two headsails without
someone on the fore deck feeding the forward forsail around the aft
forsail stay?

Ya follow me? Say a 100% on both forestays.

Joe

Joe, please excuse the amateur advice from the Bozo roll-up crowd.
They're not sailors in the conventional sense. Last time I looked at
pics of your boat it has sensible hank-on sails.

The procedure for tacking a cutter has nothing to do with roll up sails.
Here's how it's done. And, please note the correct terminology. It just
kills me that you don't know it. I expect ignorance out of Katy and Ganz
but I thought you were a sailor...

1) tacking a cutter rig requires patience. The topsail must squeeze
through the narrow space between the forestay and the staysail.

2) you may wish to install a tacking line to help the foot of the
topsail along.

3) tacking a cutter rig well is simply a matter of adopting a
systematic approach. The smaller staysail should be tacked first, the
topsail goes last, after the mainsail. Because the topsail is backed at
this point, "it goes through fast with a pop once the weather sheet is
released. Take care to pay out the weather sheet fast but smoothly so as
not to have it knot itself and possibly snag on the hanks of the
foresail. If the sail is recalictrant, try an application of silicone
spray. Also it is very important to have no sharp edges on the staysail
hanks. They should be sprayed with silicone as well to reduce chafe.

I hope this helps.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard August 3rd 07 08:47 PM

Two head sails

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Excuse me, I was in a hurry and just noticed I made a boo-boo. The last
paragraph should have read:

3) tacking a cutter rig well is simply a matter of adopting a
systematic approach. The smaller staysail should be tacked first, the
topsail goes last, after the mainsail. Because the topsail is backed at
this point, "it goes through fast with a pop once the weather sheet is
released. Take care to pay out the weather sheet fast but smoothly so as
not to have it knot itself and possibly snag on the hanks of the
topsail. If the sail is recalcitrant, try an application of silicone
spray. Also it is very important to have no sharp edges on the staysail
hanks. They should be sprayed with silicone as well to reduce chafe.

WH

Joe August 4th 07 03:18 AM

Two head sails

On Aug 3, 2:36 pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Helps.. Thanks. I'm installing the inner forestay soon, It's been in
the gear locker for a long time.

Joe

Capt. JG August 4th 07 05:00 AM

Two head sails

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 3, 2:36 pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Strongly suggest you don't follow his advice too closely... Neal probably
hasn't sailed in years.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com