posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Scout sailing vid

"Scout" wrote in

Jon (and Joe)
Other than aesthetics, is there any practical value to

stowing the fenders
onboard? I know this doesn't look as nice, but I hate to

give up any space
onboard for them. I could leave them permanently tied to

the dock
(floating). I am essentially lazy when it comes to the

small stuff, but, I
am always willing to listen to good advice!

You want them with the boat, may need them away from your
dock some day.
There are 'brackets' to hang fenders from your stanchions.
You could make something easy enough.
Or just tie them to the lifelines, inboard, so they don't
hang (lubbery) or touch the water when you bury the rail.

I'm lazy too, don't sweat the small stuff. The main thing is
to enjoy your boat.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Or just tie them to the lifelines, inboard, so they don't
hang (lubbery) or touch the water when you bury the rail.

Bwahaahahahahhahahahaa!!!!
But it aint the safe way to sail. If you're willing to do something
stupid, don't shed your idiocy by telling others it's okay for them to
do it to.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...
Or just tie them to the lifelines, inboard, so they don't
hang (lubbery) or touch the water when you bury the rail.

Bwahaahahahahhahahahaa!!!!
But it aint the safe way to sail. If you're willing to do

something
stupid, don't shed your idiocy by telling others it's okay

for them to
do it to.

safe? what the hell are you blubbering about blubber boy?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"

I have self-tailers, but only use them if I have crew or

I know I'm not
going to do much tacking/jibing.

Huh? Why?

Mostly because it's easier to not have to get the sheet in the self-tailer.
It's a lot easier to just put the line on a cleat just behind the winch.

I only use a winch handle when my or my
crew's timing is off or it's a big boat and we need to

jibe in high winds.
Remember, you can always get the helmsman to head up

briefly to help you
trim in a sheet.

Why?

Ego.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
"Capt. JG" wrote in message
No... I was talking about the jib sheets... specifically the sheet not
under load. I think lazy jacks were a boon to sailors who sail
short-handed. I prefer the Dutchman system, but either serve a useful
purpose. It's not unusual for Lazy Jacks to foul or snag battens when the
sail is raised. Coming down, they usually work fine.

Jon and Scotty,
My jib sheets run through a block on an adjustable runner. Under what
conditions would I adjust the block forward and when would I set it at the
furthest aft setpoint?

Typically, the bigger the jib, the further back the fairlead. You want the
sheet to "point" at the middle of the luff of the sail. In lighter wind or
sailing downwind (this is a nuance adjustment in my opinion and sometimes
not worth the effort), you can move the fairlead forward a small amount to
increase the twist of the jib.

Also, I saw what you mean about the lazy jacks snagging the battens with
the very first raise of the mainsail.
Scout

Yeah, they're great for capturing the sail on the way down. Going up, you
have to experiment with adjusting them to get it right. I've never been able
to get them to the point of never fouling the battens, and I didn't want to
hassle with it if I'm by myself.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

The downsides to keeping them on deck is that someone could trip on them or
they could roll off. If it's for a short while, then I do that. Most of the
time, I stow them.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...
Or just tie them to the lifelines, inboard, so they don't
hang (lubbery) or touch the water when you bury the rail.

Bwahaahahahahhahahahaa!!!!
But it aint the safe way to sail. If you're willing to do

something
stupid, don't shed your idiocy by telling others it's okay

for them to
do it to.

safe? what the hell are you blubbering about blubber boy?

He's forgetting that he thought it was just fine to leave them on deck a
year or so ago.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..

So you can't stand erect under it?

Must you gay up every post?

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"

Mostly because it's easier to not have to get the sheet in

the self-tailer.
It's a lot easier to just put the line on a cleat just

behind the winch.

Wha? What kind of STs do you have? Before I make ready to
come about, I wrap the lazy sheet around the winch body and
through the self tailing part. How hard is that?

SBV

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in
message
anews.com.

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..

So you can't stand erect under it?

Must you gay up every post?

'sat you Jon?

Learning to sail the USA way. ARG ASA 82 March 23rd 06 01:10 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 January 13th 06 05:32 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 March 6th 05 05:29 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 November 10th 04 05:22 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 September 10th 04 05:16 AM