posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Help for Martin

"Capt. Rob" wrote:

Didn't your drivesaver lose a few bolts?

Isn't your shaft bent?

Why am I not seeing the obvious?

Cuz you can't understand what you read past a single post!
I said that it can prevent damage in a line fouling case which is
quite different from striking a log.
Bob, seriously. You're slow.

Well, golly Bob, you posted that you "fouled" your prop, now you're
saying you struck a log. You may have lied the first time around, you
may have lied about the log, or more likely lied about both and once
again demonstrated that you don't even have a decent grasp of basic
nautical terminology.

Cheers
Marty
posted to alt.sailing.asa

* Martin Baxter wrote, On 7/13/2007 7:49 AM:
"Capt. Rob" wrote:
Didn't your drivesaver lose a few bolts?

Isn't your shaft bent?

Why am I not seeing the obvious?

Cuz you can't understand what you read past a single post!
I said that it can prevent damage in a line fouling case which is
quite different from striking a log.
Bob, seriously. You're slow.

Well, golly Bob, you posted that you "fouled" your prop, now you're
saying you struck a log. You may have lied the first time around, you
may have lied about the log, or more likely lied about both and once
again demonstrated that you don't even have a decent grasp of basic
nautical terminology.

Its fascinating how RB's stories evolve with each telling. First he
"fouled" something while leaving the marina, then he "hit" something,
then the towboat hit something. There was, of course, no mention of
trying to remove the obstruction. One might guess that if two vessels
hit an obstruction in an entrance channel, some effort would have been
made to remove it. But obviously not in booby's world.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote:
[...]

Indeed, I sometimes forget that the Boobster lives in the Matrix.

Cheers
Marty
posted to alt.sailing.asa

No, you provided a load of malarkey; please try to explain how you
can
produce shear forces on one or two, or three bolts in a coupler but
not
on the remainder. It can't be done

Bwahahahahahahaha!!! Right, Martin.....all of the loads and breakaway
points are identical, right? So when this type of gear fails ALL of
the bolts shear away in the same instant!
BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA! Yeah, okay, sure thing, Martin. You go on and
believe that.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote:

No, you provided a load of malarkey; please try to explain how you
can
produce shear forces on one or two, or three bolts in a coupler but
not
on the remainder. It can't be done

Bwahahahahahahaha!!! Right, Martin.....all of the loads and breakaway
points are identical, right? So when this type of gear fails ALL of
the bolts shear away in the same instant!

If you rotate one flange against the other sufficiently far enough to
shear one bolt, you're going to shear them all, it's really pretty
simple. Besides I don't believe the weak point here is the bolts, they
represent a far greater tensile strength than the woodruff key, or keys
depending on your drive arrangement.

Cheers
Marty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

If you rotate one flange against the other sufficiently far enough to
shear one bolt, you're going to shear them all, it's really pretty
simple.

Marty. Think for a moment. A propeller slices and chews into a heavy
submerged log. MAYBE all the bolts shear off and the engine/tranny is
free of the shaft. Or MAYBE one bolt hangs on and now the flange
wobbles.
= Bent shaft.
Talk to a mechanic, Martin. Or the folks at drivesaver. Not only does
this happen, it happens often enough that our adjuster knew about it.
We had a nice long talk about drippless packing as well, since ours
failed on impact.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 00:35:27 -0000, "Capt. Rob"
wrote:

If you rotate one flange against the other sufficiently far enough to
shear one bolt, you're going to shear them all, it's really pretty
simple.

Marty. Think for a moment. A propeller slices and chews into a heavy
submerged log. MAYBE all the bolts shear off and the engine/tranny is
free of the shaft. Or MAYBE one bolt hangs on and now the flange
wobbles.
= Bent shaft.
Talk to a mechanic, Martin. Or the folks at drivesaver. Not only does
this happen, it happens often enough that our adjuster knew about it.
We had a nice long talk about drippless packing as well, since ours
failed on impact.

Bob, make sure you get the proper torque rating on the new Drivesaver.
These things were originally designed for +200hp boats.
I've read where they don't always break at the lower torque found
on sailboat drivetrains. This may be why your shaft bent.
Here's a link to an example.
http://lists.samurai.com/pipermail/t...er/097202.html
The company may have addressed the torque rating issue with more
models now.
There are also electrical implications to be considered due to
isolation, but I can't speak to that.
From reading your posts here, you generally rely on yardbirds to do
things right, but also know they often don't.
If you examine the Drivesaver, you'll see that it provides the bolts
to the output flange on one side of it, and separate bolts to the prop
shaft flange on the other side. When the torque rating is exceeded
(the prop digging in a log, or a line fouling the shaft eg,) the
plastic should shatter, completely disconnecting prop shaft from trans
output. If all works well, no damage has been done. The shattered
Driversaver parts can be removed from the flanges, the prop shaft can
be pulled forward and the flanges bolted together as they would be
with no Drivesaver installed. You're back in business.

--Vic
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Here's a link to an example.http://lists.samurai.com/pipermail/t...ing/2005-Novem...
The company may have addressed the torque rating issue with more
models now.
There are also electrical implications to be considered due to
isolation, but I can't speak to that.
From reading your posts here, you generally rely on yardbirds to do
things right, but also know they often don't.
If you examine the Drivesaver, you'll see that it provides the bolts
to the output flange on one side of it, and separate bolts to the prop
shaft flange on the other side. When the torque rating is exceeded
(the prop digging in a log, or a line fouling the shaft eg,) the
plastic should shatter, completely disconnecting prop shaft from trans
output. If all works well, no damage has been done. The shattered
Driversaver parts can be removed from the flanges, the prop shaft can
be pulled forward and the flanges bolted together as they would be
with no Drivesaver installed. You're back in business.

--Vic- Hide quoted text -

Interesting post, Vic...thanks!

RB
35s5