posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob Capt. Rob is offline

Default Help for Martin

On Jul 14, 2:23 pm, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 00:35:27 -0000, "Capt. Rob"
wrote:

If you rotate one flange against the other sufficiently far enough to
shear one bolt, you're going to shear them all, it's really pretty
simple.

Marty. Think for a moment. A propeller slices and chews into a heavy
submerged log. MAYBE all the bolts shear off and the engine/tranny is
free of the shaft. Or MAYBE one bolt hangs on and now the flange
wobbles.
= Bent shaft.
Talk to a mechanic, Martin. Or the folks at drivesaver. Not only does
this happen, it happens often enough that our adjuster knew about it.
We had a nice long talk about drippless packing as well, since ours
failed on impact.

Bob, make sure you get the proper torque rating on the new Drivesaver.
These things were originally designed for +200hp boats.
I've read where they don't always break at the lower torque found
on sailboat drivetrains. This may be why your shaft bent.
Here's a link to an example.http://lists.samurai.com/pipermail/t...ing/2005-Novem...
The company may have addressed the torque rating issue with more
models now.
There are also electrical implications to be considered due to
isolation, but I can't speak to that.
From reading your posts here, you generally rely on yardbirds to do
things right, but also know they often don't.
If you examine the Drivesaver, you'll see that it provides the bolts
to the output flange on one side of it, and separate bolts to the prop
shaft flange on the other side. When the torque rating is exceeded
(the prop digging in a log, or a line fouling the shaft eg,) the
plastic should shatter, completely disconnecting prop shaft from trans
output. If all works well, no damage has been done. The shattered
Driversaver parts can be removed from the flanges, the prop shaft can
be pulled forward and the flanges bolted together as they would be
with no Drivesaver installed. You're back in business.

--Vic- Hide quoted text -

Interesting post, Vic...thanks!

RB
35s5