posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default back on the water

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 14:46:54 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

He's the proud owner of a gimmick boat. It's far from being seaworthy.
It's not much more seaworthy than a Mac26X, for gawd's sake. Your
defending it as seaworthy shows you're totally ignorant.

This is a good reason why many Macs are sold. Why spend extra money
on the Hake if the Mac is "almost as seaworthy?" - according to some
here, anyway.
Then there's always the "attractive lines," and "classic good looks"
comments.
Or the "My boat will sail circles around yours" remark.
Guess it just goes to show what opinions have in common with what.
I'm still in the decision mode about what my first boat will be.
Maybe, the F-24, maybe the Mac 26X/M.
Whatever it is, it'll earn my affection.
When I first looked at tri's, they didn't look attractive to me, but
since I've read of their capabilities, they look a lot better.
The Mac powersailors always looked like a homogulation to me, but not
esthetically unattractive.
I've noticed how fond I grow of the looks of dependable cars and
women, despite not being initially impressed, and I'll wager boats
follow that pattern.
Not suggesting that beauty and practicality are mutually exclusive,
but there's plenty of evidence that beauty often is only skin deep.
Scout's boat is a looker, and from what I've read, that's more than
skin deep. I considered one myself, but it would bust me.
Whatever I end up with, I'll enjoy it if I use it.
That's the bottom line for me.
Whatever a boat does best, it's all wasted if the sails are always
bagged - or in the case of a Mac, the motor always idle.
Even incipient-reef liveaboard boats can suit a purpose.
But boats that are seldom visited and never sailed are no better than
derelicts until they are unloaded for some cash.
So it's real nice to hear your boat in the water, Scout.
Being the sailors they are, I know Rob and Wilbur are happy about that
too. How could it be otherwise?

--Vic

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 04:56:19 -0400, "Scout"
wrote this crap:

It's official - I've got a boat and she's in the water. We finally got her

Her she is in the slip, I'll post pics and vids as I get more time with her.
http://downloads.c-2.com/photos/1183302037.jpg

It sure beats a Mac 26.

This post is 100% free of steroids
posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:

It's official - I've got a boat and she's in the water. We finally got her
launched her on Saturday and spent most of the day tinkering with the
various components to be sure we weren't damaging or forgetting anything. We
motored about the bay and up the Bass river to our slip and reinspected
everything. We plan to hoist the mainsail on Saturday. Now that I have a
bimini, it'll be rain or shine!

Tried out many of the systems.

The Yanmar engine ran very well but the throttle kept wanting to return to
midpoint (about 2,000 rpm). Not sure yet what that's all about. It generated
power effectively; was able to run the AC unit and all other electrics with
the exception of the hot water heater, which is too much for the inverter.
The Yanmar made a quick tank of domestic hot water though.

Depthfinder gave clear, easy to read postings, for now I'll just hope it's
accurate.

The autopilot gave an accurate compass heading and otherwise I don't know
how to use it yet.

The windlass worked well and I dropped anchor just to try it out. It is very
convenient to drop and raise anchor from the cockpit, but I'm not sure I'd
have chosen that option on a new boat. It just seems like a system waiting
to fail and I never minded hauling in the anchor by hand; it gives one a
better sense of conditions to work the anchor.

The electric winch pulled the 1,200 pound centerboard with no problem.

I'm loving the wheel after having only a tiller. I know the tiller has pros,
but my back likes not being twisted, very much!

Her she is in the slip, I'll post pics and vids as I get more time with her.
http://downloads.c-2.com/photos/1183302037.jpg

Cheers,
Scout

She's really looking good. Enjoy. You've still got most of the
summer.
Mark E. Williams
posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:

[...]

Hey great Scout! Is that a sistership that is your next slip
neighbor? that must be nice.

Frank

Yes, it is a sistership, pure chance that is!
Thanks Frank!
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sweet looking boat!!! You should be very happy with her.

Congrats.

Thanks Rob!
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 2, 3:56 am, "Scout" wrote:

Her she is in the slip, I'll post pics and vids as I get more time with
her.http://downloads.c-2.com/photos/1183302037.jpg

Cheers,
Scout

That's a good looking boat Scout. Looks stout and seaworthy.

Joe

Thanks Joe,
it should be fine for what I need
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa

news
wrote:

[...]

Good observations Vic. And my thanks to you too.
This is a good group I've been reading and posting here for about 7 years,
and I've come to appreciate the good folks who gather in this forum. I
appreciate each and every response. It was this group that led me to Hake
Yachts / Seaward and I believe I've purchased the perfect boat given my
sailing needs. I wouldn't have found that boat without the help I received
here.

Good luck in your search Vic. I understand about the "bust" part too. If I
had a few million bucks, I'd have a different sailboat and a lot more toys!
In the end, enough is as good as a feast.
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 2, 3:56 am, "Scout" wrote:

Her she is in the slip, I'll post pics and vids as I get more time with
her.http://downloads.c-2.com/photos/1183302037.jpg

Cheers,
Scout

That's a good looking boat Scout. Looks stout and seaworthy.

Joe

Looks are deceiving. That's not a very seaworthy boat. And what's with the
lazy jacks on a 25-foot boat. Pretty useless having extra lines to foul
the sail and chafe when the sail is small enough to handle easily.

1) seaworthy would be a turtle on the sliding companionway hatch.
2) seaworthy would be hanked-on headsails, lose the roll up system.
3) seaworthy would be real running lights on the bow. You know, something
that could be seen...
4) seaworthy would be double lowers on the mainmast.
5) seaworthy would be double lifelines.
6) seaworthy would be at least two different anchors and rodes at the
ready on the sprit.
7) an open transom is not seaworthy.
8) seaworthy would be a real keel. That thing looks like it has one of
those retractable keels. Good for trailering but definitely NOT seaworthy.
9) Those Hunter-copy stern rail seats are an unseaworthy gimmick.
10) Only one cleat on the bow. What a joke. There should be at least four
or a bollard of some sort for affixing lines.

You're welcome!

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur
Ah, always the curmudgeon, but that doesn't make you wrong. You're not
entirely right, but your points are well taken. My boat, your boat, any
boat, could always be a little better. Much of what we consider desirable is
relative. I'd like a boat that could accommodate a 6'4" captain a little
better. The world is built for short guys like you, and my poor head pays
the price when I don't duck. But I'm not going to say my boat sucks because
the head room is only 5'10". I'm also not going to say it sucks just
because it wouldn't be my first choice in which to ride out a Katrina.

Since you appreciate honesty, I'll be honest back with you, and tell you
that I really do think you are right in some of your points, but in others I
think you are just being cantankerous for your own pleasure. For instance,
those stern rail seats are frigging awesome my friend, and you are too smart
to not know that. For another instance, I know the open stern would be bad
in rough seas, but on my very first dunk, I appreciated the fun it adds to a
sail - and to be sure, I'm in it for the fun.

If the boat sinks, I have the strength and fortitude to save myself. If you
were sailing with me, I might be able to drag your crabby ass to shore too.
And I would, because in spite of your well documented Asperger's tendencies,
I do believe you might as well be screaming that you need to feel loved and
appreciated. So in that spirit, I thank you for your good intentions and
concern for my safety. You are a good friend and I appreciate you.
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa

. com...
wrote this crap:

It's official - I've got a boat and she's in the water. We finally got her

Her she is in the slip, I'll post pics and vids as I get more time with
her.
http://downloads.c-2.com/photos/1183302037.jpg

It sure beats a Mac 26.

This post is 100% free of steroids

Horvy,
Where've you been? Seems like I haven't seen you here in a couple of years.
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Mark.
That's what I'm thinking, the best is yet to come in the Fall )
Scout