posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scout Scout is offline

Default back on the water

"Maynard G. Krebbs" wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 04:56:19 -0400, "Scout"
wrote:

It's official - I've got a boat and she's in the water. We finally got her
launched her on Saturday and spent most of the day tinkering with the
various components to be sure we weren't damaging or forgetting anything.
We
motored about the bay and up the Bass river to our slip and reinspected
everything. We plan to hoist the mainsail on Saturday. Now that I have a
bimini, it'll be rain or shine!

Tried out many of the systems.

The Yanmar engine ran very well but the throttle kept wanting to return to
midpoint (about 2,000 rpm). Not sure yet what that's all about. It
generated
power effectively; was able to run the AC unit and all other electrics
with
the exception of the hot water heater, which is too much for the inverter.
The Yanmar made a quick tank of domestic hot water though.

Depthfinder gave clear, easy to read postings, for now I'll just hope it's
accurate.

The autopilot gave an accurate compass heading and otherwise I don't know
how to use it yet.

The windlass worked well and I dropped anchor just to try it out. It is
very
convenient to drop and raise anchor from the cockpit, but I'm not sure I'd
have chosen that option on a new boat. It just seems like a system waiting
to fail and I never minded hauling in the anchor by hand; it gives one a
better sense of conditions to work the anchor.

The electric winch pulled the 1,200 pound centerboard with no problem.

I'm loving the wheel after having only a tiller. I know the tiller has
pros,
but my back likes not being twisted, very much!

Her she is in the slip, I'll post pics and vids as I get more time with
her.
http://downloads.c-2.com/photos/1183302037.jpg

Cheers,
Scout

She's really looking good. Enjoy. You've still got most of the
summer.
Mark E. Williams

Thanks Mark.
That's what I'm thinking, the best is yet to come in the Fall )
Scout