posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Spinnaker 101

The Kiwis look real good yesterday--except for their
spinnaker sets.

I had difficulty figuring out exactly what happened.
Their first spinnaker developed a tear. I saw the hole
but didn't see it rip. The second was hoisted prior
to attaching the guy and sheet. And the third had
an hourglass in it.

Aside from that the Kiwi's did very well. Their boat
speed was better than I expected. Despite being
down one race, they are still in it.

I'm hoping to see the racing go to nine races.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

How many here have had an hour glass in a spinnaker?

How many have had to cut a spinnaker away?

How many have had a tear in a spinnaker?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

OzOne wrote in message ...
Question should be
Who sails without Ripstop onboard?

Question should be, who sails without a goodly supply of rum to ameliorate
all problems?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bart scribbled thusly:

How many here have had an hour glass in a spinnaker?

Many

Yep.
Especially on OPB's or with novice crew, but even with regular crew on
familiar boats there are a certain small percent of snafus....

How many have had to cut a spinnaker away?

OzOne wrote:
Many times

How many?? Had to cut lines a few times, never had to cut a sail away
and abandon it.... been tempted a few times!

How many have had a tear in a spinnaker?

You're kidding?
Question should be
Who sails without Ripstop onboard?

It should be practiced to partially lower a spinnaker, with extra
hands holding luff & leach spread, get torn part spread flat & taped,
in minimum time.

Used duct tape a few times too, for temporary repairs!

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Jun 30, 8:47 pm, Bart wrote:
How many here have had an hour glass in a spinnaker?

Never when I packed it! grin But sure.

How many have had to cut a spinnaker away?

No, thank goodness. Had one where we really had to slack everything to
get back up to vertical from horizonal and then retrieve that big
soggy mess from the water - on a C&C34, IIRC. That's the closest I
ever got to being tempted to cut away.

How many have had a tear in a spinnaker?

Sure. Especially when we left up the .75 oz. chute when we really
should have traded it for the 1.5!

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Jul 4, 5:29 pm, OzOne wrote:
Does dropping 3 rigs over the side with spinnakers attached count? :-)
Wait,,only one had the spinnaker wound around it.

I once (and only once!) dropped the spinnaker overboard (in its bag)
while trying to get things set up on the foredeck. My shout of
"Spinnaker overboard!" was met with puzzled stares from the cockpit
crew until they saw it floating merrily in the waves as we sped past
it. Eek! Then we went into MOB drill!

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Jul 4, 5:45 pm, wrote:
Bart scribbled thusly:

How many here have had an hour glass in a spinnaker?

Many

Yep.
Especially on OPB's or with novice crew, but even with regular crew on
familiar boats there are a certain small percent of snafus....

I have a technique for clearing hourglasses. I think
I asked it as a question some years back. I lower the
halyard 6 feet. If that doesn't work I lower it another
6 feet. I've always been able to clear them that way.

I didn't see the Kiwi's do that but the photography
was a little weak during "The Cup". It would be nice
if they'd hire some sailors to do the filming so we'd
see images that show such details.

OzOne wrote:
Many times

How many?? Had to cut lines a few times, never had to cut a sail away
and abandon it.... been tempted a few times!

How many have had a tear in a spinnaker?

I couldn't count the tears. I had to cut away a spinnaker
halyard once when the sheet got away from us. Obviously
you make the cut as close to the end as possible so as
not to ruin the line. Shortening a line 6 inches means
it can be reused.

You're kidding?
Question should be
Who sails without Ripstop onboard?

It should be practiced to partially lower a spinnaker, with extra
hands holding luff & leach spread, get torn part spread flat & taped,
in minimum time.

I think you'd need to get it down most of the way.

Used duct tape a few times too, for temporary repairs!

DSK

I am sorry to see the Kiwi's didn't do better. They
had a fast boat. It seemed faster downwind, while
Alinghi seemed faster upwind.

The match was much closer than the results (5-2).

I'm starting another thread on the last race.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
Used duct tape a few times too, for temporary repairs!

Ah, the Red Green repair. Keep your stick on the ice.

Max

Spinnaker question Bobsprit ASA 32 August 17th 08 03:13 PM
Spinnaker hardware,, used,, in New England area ?? Lester Evans Cruising 1 May 4th 06 09:51 PM
Lost Spinnaker Found!! Thom Stewart ASA 0 April 21st 06 03:12 AM
Accident Emergency Question [Three part ] Bart Senior ASA 17 July 9th 04 01:16 PM
WTB: White spinnaker cloth N1EE ASA 2 November 18th 03 01:24 AM