posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default 1D35--first races

Saturday and Sunday were our first races in the new (to us) one-design
class. Fortunately they were pre-season, and not scored. We were abysmal
for the first two. My three additional crew are two young men with
extensive dinghy experience and a middle-aged woman who has forgotten more
about sail trim and tactics than most sailors will ever know. I'm lucky to
have such great people. I hope they'll stay with me for most of the season.
Some crew changes are expected and normal, as peoples' schedules have
conflicts, but good crew seem to be plentiful where we race.

Both days saw light air, which is always tough for me. I'm constantly
searching for the wind and by the time I've re-trimmed, the wind has altered
substantially. I tend to believe the better sailors are more consistent and
trim less aggressively in such conditions.

Race one began on Lake M. with less than 4kts. out of the south. The water
was flat as four of six boats crossed the line early to receive a general
recall. The restart was equally poor, with no one at the line at the gun.
We were blanketed by another boat and held our tack too long before escaping
to clearer air. And it seemed everywhere we went the wind was elsewhere.
We finished dead last. Race two was a bit better. We started well and
maintained good boat speed until the final gibe. For some reason it was as
if the wind died and the sails went slack. Other boats kept moving, but we
slowed frustratingly. We finally got the boat moving again, but too late to
make up the lost time. We finished fourth after a very good final windward
leg. Sunday saw slightly more wind, and predictably we sailed better. My
foredeck man seemed to come into his own and worked brilliantly. Our four
spinnaker legs were near flawless. To weather we moved very well, about 3.5
kts. in 4.5 kts. of wind, passing two boats in the process to take second
place. We were elated.

The post-race 'party' was a great experience. The fleet is made up of
serious sailors, but very decent and friendly folks. Everyone was
complimentary of our first efforts and made us feel like we've always been
part of the fleet. We're looking forward to the upcoming summer series,
which begins in two weeks.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

Sounds like you had a blast. I was teaching both days for the last two
weekends... we had some terrific wind on the bay, well over 25 kts both
weekends, but the students did pretty well.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Maxprop wrote:
[...]

No more late nights on A dock for you, bucko....
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

If you learned to sail in Colorado shouldn't you have mastered reading the
wind? It changes every minute in direction and intensity.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message
Maxprop wrote:
[...]

Wanna bet? Where did you think we went after Saturday's races?

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message

If you learned to sail in Colorado shouldn't you have mastered reading the
wind? It changes every minute in direction and intensity.

Amen to that, but that was one hell of a long time ago. I'm rusty. And
when talking about intensity, Colorado mountain lakes have that in spades.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Maxprop" wrote in message
k.net...

Where did you think we went after Saturday's races?

a whorehouse?

SV

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Scotty wrote:
"Maxprop" wrote in message
k.net...

Where did you think we went after Saturday's races?

a whorehouse?

SV

Ain't none where he was...they're all dyed in the wool Lutherans there...
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..

"Maxprop" wrote in message
k.net...

Where did you think we went after Saturday's races?

a whorehouse?

Excellent guess, but wrong.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message
Scotty wrote:
"Maxprop" wrote in message
k.net...

Where did you think we went after Saturday's races?

a whorehouse?

SV

Ain't none where he was...they're all dyed in the wool Lutherans there...

Say what??? Have you forgotten about all those Dutch Reformed?

Max

August 2006 boat races La grange Missouri George Ewart General 0 August 5th 06 09:54 PM
No rules rec races (west coast esp) [email protected] General 1 July 9th 06 08:20 AM
A day at the (log) races [email protected] General 1 April 13th 06 05:45 AM
Basic Racing Query Capt. Rob ASA 4 January 5th 06 08:58 PM
Devices for startign and finishing races Russ General 3 August 26th 03 12:26 PM