posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default In the Interest of Public Safety

A man legally owning a gun walks out into the street and begins
firing in any direction, being careful not to hit anyone. Citizens
approach and tell him to stop, pointing out that his actions are
illegal. His reply is "I'm being careful, I'm not hitting anyone. In
fact, in my 14 years of gun ownership I've never hit anyone. I'm a
careful gun user, it is illegal to shoot it in this neighborhood, but
I'm not hurting anyone."

The police come and haul him and take the gun away. The next week he
goes out with another gun and does the same. The same result happens.
All he gets is a ticket and a fine. Eventually the court tells him he
can't own a gun but he gets one anyway. The same behavior continues.

What does a reasonable society do?

They limit gun possession to those who are competent and place heavy
penalties on gun misuse, even if no one is harmed. The reasons given
are many:

1. A gun has no practical use other than self defense in the home.

2. Guns have the potential to do great harm in the wrong hands.

3. Guns are used in criminal acts.

4. Thousands are killed by guns.

Now let's look at another deadly weapon, namely the car capable of
excessive speed.

A man walks into a car dealership and buys a fast car. He drives it
out onto the street and begins driving at high speed all over the
roads. Citizens admonish him for his reckless behavior. His reply is,
"I'm being careful about speeding. I know I'm breaking the law but no
one is getting hurt. In my 14 years of car driving I've never been in
an accident and I'm not going to hurt anyone."

Eventually the police come and haul him away. He gets tickets and
fines but gets to keep the car. The behavior continues, his license is
revoked. He continues to drive the fast car recklessly about town.
Nothing stronger can be done until he goes and injures or kills
someone.

If guns are so regulated, why aren't fast cars?

1. A fast car has no practical utility over a standard car on the
public roads.

2. Fast cars have the potential to do great harm in the wrong hands.

3. Fast cars are used in crimes to elude the police.

4. Thousands are killed by speeding.

5. Fast cars are the means for even greater speed.

A good solution to having reckless drivers with fast cars on the road
would be to:

1. Require special licenses to own or operate a fast car.

2. Allow fast cars to be operated only on race tracks.

3. Make it a felony to speed in a fast car. Increased penalties for
any crime involving a fast car.

4. Limit fast car ownership to competent, tested drivers.

5. Background checks and waiting periods for fast car purchases. Owner
profiling and registry database.

6. Special transfer rules for selling a fast car or make transfers
illegal.

7. Impoundment and confiscation of fast cars for use in any legal
infraction.

8. Make it illegal to modify any car into a fast car.

9. Hold manufacturers legally responsible for any improper use of
their product.

10. Additional taxes on fast cars.

These are not new ideas, they have been proposed and are pending in
several states. I urge you to write your legislators and support
stronger laws regulating fast cars. If one life is saved, it is worth
it. After all, fast car misuse is just like owning a gun - it is for
those who are weak and deficient. Your best bet for getting these laws
passed is to introduce them to Democratic legislators, especially the
pro environment type. They must be educated to view fast cars as guns.
Considering they already view SUVs as pollution factories I believe it
won't take much to sway them against the fast car menace.

Look for future postings about legislation in the states cracking down
on fast cars. Do what you can to keep the roads safe.

Norm Howe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Dave" wrote in message
On Thu, 31 May 2007 07:37:19 -0700, Norm Howe

said:

These are not new ideas, they have been proposed and are

pending in
several states.

Wow, they could even follow the model of the assault

weapons ban--define a
"fast car" as one with 2 or more of the following:

rear spoiler
loud dual exhaust
fat tires
fancy paint job
etc.

I really despise people like bob who don't have the balls
and/or talent to race for real so they drive as fast as they
can, in their little pretend racer car, on public roads,
usually end up hitting something, or someone.

Street racing is for loser pussies.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..

said:

These are not new ideas, they have been proposed and are

pending in
several states.

Wow, they could even follow the model of the assault

weapons ban--define a
"fast car" as one with 2 or more of the following:

rear spoiler
loud dual exhaust
fat tires
fancy paint job
etc.

I really despise people like bob who don't have the balls
and/or talent to race for real so they drive as fast as they
can, in their little pretend racer car, on public roads,
usually end up hitting something, or someone.

Street racing is for loser pussies.

Scotty

Studies prove that people who brag about and are preoccupied with cars
are very immature, materialistic, shallow and ignorant. Fits Bobsplat to
a tee, doesn't it?

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Thu, 31 May 2007 11:31:11 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Scotty" wrote in message
m...

said:

[...]

Studies prove that Wilbur Hubbard is the same person as usenet posters
Captain Neal and Ellen MacArthur.

CWM

Cite the evidence please.

Captain Wilbur MacArthur Neal

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in
message ...
Wilbur Hubbard

Studies prove that Wilbur Hubbard is the same person as

usenet posters
Captain Neal and Ellen MacArthur.

CWM

Cite the evidence please.

Captain Wilbur MacArthur Neal

BB thinks he's a usenet Dick.

well, he's half right.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Scotty wrote:

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in
message ...
Wilbur Hubbard

Studies prove that Wilbur Hubbard is the same person as

usenet posters
Captain Neal and Ellen MacArthur.

CWM

Cite the evidence please.

Captain Wilbur MacArthur Neal

BB thinks he's a useless Dick.

well, he's right.

Scotty:

You made a couple of mistakes in your post, I have emended them.

Cheers
Marty
Want to have instant messaging, and chat rooms, and discussion
groups for your local users or business, you need dbabble!
-- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_dbabble.htm ----
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Dave" wrote in message
On Thu, 31 May 2007 07:37:19 -0700, Norm Howe said:

These are not new ideas, they have been proposed and are pending in
several states.

Wow, they could even follow the model of the assault weapons ban--define a
"fast car" as one with 2 or more of the following:

rear spoiler
loud dual exhaust
fat tires
fancy paint job
etc.

LOL. You omitted the big, stick-on graphics.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Goober wrote in message ...
On Thu, 31 May 2007 19:10:29 -0400, Charlie Morgan wrote:

said:

These are not new ideas, they have been proposed and are pending in
several states.

Wow, they could even follow the model of the assault weapons
ban--define a
"fast car" as one with 2 or more of the following:

rear spoiler
loud dual exhaust
fat tires
fancy paint job
etc.

LOL. You omitted the big, stick-on graphics.

Max

He was trying to spare you the embarassment.

CWM

One does need a large stick-on graphic for embarrassment. A small 3 x
10 piece of vinyl appled to the bumper of a car with the words "Howard
Dean for President" does just fine.

BB (Charlie) still has Gore/Lieberman stickers all over his 1967 VW van.

Max