posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default America's Cup 32nd

On May 23, 2:35 pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Bryan" wrote in message

A few questions about format.

I'm watching the Luis Vitton Cup. Two boats will go to the LV finals
and the winner will go against Desafio (or is it Alingi?) in the
America's Cup. Do I have this right? You can see I have some
confusion on this subject!

Does the America's Cup have more than two boats racing or is it just a
two boat race: defender vs winner of the LV?

Bottom line: with BMW Oracle out of the LV, are they also out of the
America's Cup and on their way home to San Francisco?

You got it wrong. The defender is Alinghi. They possess the Americas
Cup. The challenger is the winner of the final in the Louis Vuitton
challenge. BMW Oracle is out because they lost in the semi-final 1-5.
They lost this badly because they were foolish enough to put has-been
Kiwis as skipper and at the helm. This proves Larry Ellison (the money
man) needs to stick to computers. Where's Ted Turner when we need him?

Wilbur Hubbard

Right about that. We should have fielded out own skipper. In
fact the entire crew should have been Americans.

How about Buddy Melges, Paul Cayard, or Dennis Conner?

Not that Chris Dickson is that bad.
Each would have done a better job.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bart wrote:

Right about that. We should have fielded out own skipper. In
fact the entire crew should have been Americans.

How about Buddy Melges, Paul Cayard, or Dennis Conner?

Not that Chris Dickson is that bad.
Each would have done a better job.

I don't get it, either...why we would import sailors when we have
traditionally had some of the best is beyond me...I can understand why
D. Conners might shy away from it..maybe he feels his reputation
wouldn't survive another loss...I except for money, why would a
non-American give a rat's patoot whether they won the Cup back for us or
not? WOuld seem obbious that they might have another agenda...
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message
Bart wrote:

Right about that. We should have fielded out own skipper. In
fact the entire crew should have been Americans.

How about Buddy Melges, Paul Cayard, or Dennis Conner?

Not that Chris Dickson is that bad.
Each would have done a better job.

I don't get it, either...why we would import sailors when we have
traditionally had some of the best is beyond me...I can understand why D.
Conners might shy away from it..maybe he feels his reputation wouldn't
survive another loss...I except for money, why would a non-American give a
rat's patoot whether they won the Cup back for us or not? WOuld seem
obbious that they might have another agenda...

It's all about big money at this point. That and ego (Ellison's).

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On May 23, 7:26 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"katy" wrote in message

Bart wrote:

Right about that. We should have fielded out own skipper. In
fact the entire crew should have been Americans.

How about Buddy Melges, Paul Cayard, or Dennis Conner?

Not that Chris Dickson is that bad.
Each would have done a better job.

I don't get it, either...why we would import sailors when we have
traditionally had some of the best is beyond me...I can understand why D.
Conners might shy away from it..maybe he feels his reputation wouldn't
survive another loss...I except for money, why would a non-American give a
rat's patoot whether they won the Cup back for us or not? WOuld seem
obbious that they might have another agenda...

It's all about big money at this point. That and ego (Ellison's).

--
"j" ganz

Larry Ellison is a hero to me. I'd love to see the Cup in San
Francisco.
It is the best venue in the world. People could watch from shore.

It would be the best thing to happen to the Cup.

On the other hand, as a former member of the St Francis YC,
next door to the GGYC, I thought the GGYC members were a
bunch of pussies. Every time I short tacked up the marina
they would yell at me for coming to close to their boats. It
just confirmed to me they were not very good sailors.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"katy" wrote in message
Bart wrote:

Right about that. We should have fielded out own skipper. In
fact the entire crew should have been Americans.

How about Buddy Melges, Paul Cayard, or Dennis Conner?

Not that Chris Dickson is that bad.
Each would have done a better job.

I don't get it, either...why we would import sailors when we have
traditionally had some of the best is beyond me...I can understand why D.
Conners might shy away from it..maybe he feels his reputation wouldn't
survive another loss...I except for money, why would a non-American give
a rat's patoot whether they won the Cup back for us or not? WOuld seem
obbious that they might have another agenda...

It's all about big money at this point. That and ego (Ellison's).

You could have stopped with "big money." Not that Ellison's ego isn't out
of control.

Max

America's Cup 32nd Bryan ASA 7 May 29th 07 08:23 PM
FS: 1987 "Comeback: My Race For The America's Cup" Book in Ontario J.R. Sinclair Marketplace 0 July 13th 06 10:55 AM
The America's Cup - Team Swiss Smithers one of 1000's General 5 December 20th 05 10:51 PM
Surprise! ON TOPIC The Great Lakes and the Americas Cup Jim, General 8 March 5th 05 05:50 PM
BlueChart coverage on Garmin 168 Larry Charlot Electronics 2 November 10th 03 04:25 AM