posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Missing Sailors

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0507/422839.html

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bart wrote:
http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0507/422839.html

According to the family, the skipper of the boat was a careful and
experienced sailor...that storm was wicked..must have been horrible out
by Lookout...we were out at the Bay on the previous day and the wind was
enough to blow you over and the surf was huge and pounding...
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On May 14, 9:50 am, katy wrote:
Bart wrote:
http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0507/422839.html

According to the family, the skipper of the boat was a careful and
experienced sailor...that storm was wicked..must have been horrible out
by Lookout...we were out at the Bay on the previous day and the wind was
enough to blow you over and the surf was huge and pounding...

The boat had a roller furling main, and jib. I bet they were un-
managable.
You see roller furling rigs all the time that get blown open and
people are unable to refurl them in a real storm. Many people make the
wrong assumption that they are safer than hank on sails. In most
situations roller furling is ok, but in severe situations they are
just to risky IMO. Proper sized and shaped sails for a storm is the
only way to go.

Let's hope they are still in a raft and get picked up soon.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 14, 9:50 am, katy wrote:
Bart wrote:
[...]

Excellent point!

If they were using roll-ups they were probably smug and self-righteous
about how great roll-ups are. You've heard all the ridiculous arguments
in their favor and lame justifications here enough times to make you
want to hurl. So, I don't share the same hopes as you have, Joe. I'd
rather they all drowned. It would serve them right for not listening to
common sense and ignoring the experience and insight of more experienced
sailors who have told them a hundred times to get real, hank-on sails
and enough of them for safe sailing in all wind conditions.

Get rid of roll-ups. You could easily die if you don't. Leave them to
the racers whose lives are forfeit in the first place. They have no
business on a cruising sailboat.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

katysails wrote:
According to the family, the skipper of the boat was a careful and
experienced sailor...that storm was wicked..must have been horrible out
by Lookout

Couple of folks here ventured out into the Sound and poked out for a
quick look outside Beaufort. Very rough water!

...we were out at the Bay on the previous day and the wind was
enough to blow you over and the surf was huge and pounding...

Was that right at Pt Comfort? That would be all but open to the sea,
the Virginia Capes would funnel seas into that area.

Joe wrote:
The boat had a roller furling main, and jib. I bet they were un-
managable.
You see roller furling rigs all the time that get blown open

Only by stupid people who don't have them rigged properly.

One might just as well make the assumption that since so many cars
have standard transmission, and so many cars get in wrecks, that
anybody who drives a standard is going to have a wreck.

Let's hope they are still in a raft and get picked up soon.

Now I agree with you there.... hoping for the best.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On May 14, 11:40 am, katy wrote:
wrote:
katysails wrote:

According to the family, the skipper of the boat was a careful and
experienced sailor...that storm was wicked..must have been horrible out
by Lookout

Couple of folks here ventured out into the Sound and poked out for a
quick look outside Beaufort. Very rough water!

...we were out at the Bay on the previous day and the wind was
enough to blow you over and the surf was huge and pounding...

Was that right at Pt Comfort? That would be all but open to the sea,
the Virginia Capes would funnel seas into that area.

Yes...we went down and tried to walk in front of the batteries just
north of the lighthouse...was impossible...

Joe wrote:

The boat had a roller furling main, and jib. I bet they were un-
managable.
You see roller furling rigs all the time that get blown open

Only by stupid people who don't have them rigged properly.

One might just as well make the assumption that since so many cars
have standard transmission, and so many cars get in wrecks, that
anybody who drives a standard is going to have a wreck.

Why would you try to roll it back up at that point anyway? Just drag it
down or cut it off if it wasn't salvageble...

Can you drag down a roll up under a heavy load? , the bolt track with
thousands of pounds of pressure along the whole track is like a brake
in a brake drum. A full flogging set of sails is a real drag.

Every crusing boat should have a storm jib and main. The P40 that
took off crusing next to me had a bullet proof set made in
international orange.

Joe

Let's hope they are still in a raft and get picked up soon.

Now I agree with you there.... hoping for the best.

Ditto that...

DSK- Hide quoted text -

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 14, 9:50 am, katy wrote:
Bart wrote:
[...]

For the main, I agree... if it's in the mast, well, that's just asking for
trouble... no way to drop it without cutting the sail. For a headsail, it's
easy to drop the jib with a furler... pop the halyard, you're done.
Typically, however, you're right that if bad weather is forecast, bringing
down the furler and using a hanked on storm sail is safer.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:

Can you drag down a roll up under a heavy load?

Yes...and I have done it...
, the bolt track with
thousands of pounds of pressure along the whole track is like a brake
in a brake drum. A full flogging set of sails is a real drag.

It's a drag whether it's a roll up or a hank on in thos conditions...

Every crusing boat should have a storm jib and main. The P40 that
took off crusing next to me had a bullet proof set made in
international orange.

Joe

Let's hope they are still in a raft and get picked up soon.

Now I agree with you there.... hoping for the best.

Ditto that...

DSK- Hide quoted text -

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote in message

For the main, I agree... if it's in the mast, well, that's just asking for
trouble... no way to drop it without cutting the sail. For a headsail,
it's easy to drop the jib with a furler... pop the halyard, you're done.
Typically, however, you're right that if bad weather is forecast, bringing
down the furler and using a hanked on storm sail is safer.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

OK then, what are you going to hank it onto? If you bring down the roller
foresail you are left with a thick aluminium roller which you cannot hank
onto.
Moreover, you have to totally unroll the foresail before you can bring it
down so you had best do it before the wind gets up too much.
My boat has two grooves in the roller so you can hoist a smaller sail before
you take the other one down but this is a racing tactic and implies that you
have ample skilled crew, not only on the foredeck, but also back in the
cockpit to work the halliards, while someone else steers..
I sail with just my wife as crew and such activities are not an option.
I have a very robust furling gear and cannot envisage any situation where I
would not be able to roll the foresail right tightly up. Not only can I put
the furling line on a winch but I have it set up so that after the sail is
totally rolled it puts another two turns of the sheets around it. No way it
is going to unroll after that.
If you think that going onto the foredeck in a storm and unhanking one sail,
getting it down the forehatch, and replacing it with another which you fetch
up through the open hatch is a good option I can confidently assert that you
have never been out in a storm with only one other crewmember.