posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default LIS fishing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjWQNwv-GJ4&NR=1

Any sailing yet this year Rob? Don't fall off that sugar scoop
staircase!

Or you still busy puting together that jungle jim?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On May 13, 11:51 pm, Joe wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjWQNwv-GJ4&NR=1

Any sailing yet this year Rob? Don't fall off that sugar scoop
staircase!

Or you still busy puting together that jungle jim?

Joe

I've been out 6 times so far. Great weather the last two days.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bart" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 13, 11:51 pm, Joe wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjWQNwv-GJ4&NR=1

Any sailing yet this year Rob? Don't fall off that sugar scoop
staircase!

Or you still busy puting together that jungle jim?

Joe

I've been out 6 times so far. Great weather the last two days.

I just got back from two days... wish it had been six. Fantastic weather.
Friday we went to Angel Island, a short hop, then sailed for the rest of the
afternoon. Winds were in the mid-20s. Saturday, day, I took her out for a
few hours mid-afternoon single-handing. Sailed up to Red Rock then down the
channel to Tiberon, then back, then went to the fuel and pumpout in
Richmond, then home. Again, mid-20s air. Sat night had a bunch of friends
over and we went down to the Ka-Boom fireworks just south of the Bay Bridge.
Sailed down, motored around during the show (very, very crowded), then
motored back due to head-to-wind conditions most of the way... get there
speed. Got back and put the boat away by about midnight.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On May 14, 12:59 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Bart" wrote in message
ups.com...

On May 13, 11:51 pm, Joe wrote:
[...]

I really miss that Bay Area sailing. Here we have some serious
sailing
here this time of year. It is extremely gusty--so you really need
extra
crew weight. When the current and wind are against you, as it was
this weekend--we had a rare Northerly with the ebb, it made me wish
I had my Etchells in the water.

I'm really anxious to get it down to the club, but I decided to
redo the decks this year. I'll see how long that takes before I
decide if I want to paint the whole boat. So it will be about two
weeks or more before I take her out. It will be very nice to have
the boat perfect.

I did some more work gutting the interior of my big boat, and I'm
tempted to rip some more of it out. My next project there is building
a cofferdam as a collision bulkhead forward of the rudder post. Time
for more itching and scratching.

Do you have any projects going on your boat Jon?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bart" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 14, 12:59 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Bart" wrote in message
ups.com...

On May 13, 11:51 pm, Joe wrote:
[...]

Projects... I'm never without projects. g

At the moment, I just finished straightening one of the bilge boards. It was
warped when I bought the boat, and it always squeaked when stepped upon. I
got two 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 3' pieces of oak, cut them to fit the board, then
glued
and thru-bolted them to the board. I brought it down to the boat after I let
it dry, and it was so straight that it was actually a bit long (maybe 1/8").
So, back to the garage to fix that. Since it was fine except for that, I
counter sunk the holes on the bolt side. I'm going down tomorrow to see if
it now fits, then I'll get some sealer and be done. I didn't want to use a
completely new piece, because matching the sole would be difficult.

http://sailnow.photosite.com/Excaliburbilgeboard/

I think the next project will be to see what's up with the stuffing box...
seems like too much water comes in... more than a slow drip... when the prop
shaft is moving. I may move to a dripless, but perhaps I can just tighten it
a bit. According to the manual, the stuffing material can't be replaced with
the boat in the water. This is an odd statement, since I've seen it done on
other boats. I'm going to give them a call if I need to go that far.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
I think the next project will be to see what's up with the stuffing

box...
seems like too much water comes in... more than a slow drip... when the
prop
shaft is moving. I may move to a dripless, but perhaps I can just tighten
it
a bit. According to the manual, the stuffing material can't be replaced
with
the boat in the water. This is an odd statement, since I've seen it done
on
other boats. I'm going to give them a call if I need to go that far.

There are usually about three turns of packing in the gland. The secret of
repacking while afloat is to leave one of the turns in place and replace the
first two that you come to. Don't disturb the first turn at all or you may
make it loose. Some water will come in while you carry out the work but the
one packing turn will keep this to a reasonable level to enable you to fit
two new turns of packing and clamp up.
The packing material is square in section. make sure you get some of the
correct size (subtract shaft diameter from sterntube diameter) and then
before you start dismantling anything wrap the packing around the visible
part of the shaft and with a sharp blade cut several rings so that the ends
butt nicely together when fitted snugly onto the shaft. Offset the two butt
joints 180 degrees.
Get everything ready before you start. You will need some sharp pointy tool
to hook out the old packing. I misuse an engineers scriber or this sort of
thing sometimes because it has very sharp points and one of them is turned
at a right angle so is easy to get into awkward places.

Fishing Hook Safety Vic Smith General 43 April 10th 07 02:28 AM
How to Buy a Boat for Racing or a Fishing boat icanor Boat Building 0 January 17th 07 11:58 AM
Lanier fishing report for Jan. [email protected] General 0 January 10th 06 03:28 PM
Fishing rules proposal Shortwave Sportfishing General 0 June 23rd 05 02:11 PM