posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Hey How about something sailing related

So I realize I have posted more than a response or two to comments
that are non-sailing related but there has not been much sailing stuff
posted to discuss so i thought I would throw in some stuff.

As some of you may know I am new to sailing. I am also building an
outrigger sailing canoe. So far everything has been a lot of fun but
finding people to go sailing with to help teach me has been a little
difficult, until this week. I have been learning from a relative of
mine who lives or rather lived on a sailboat. The problem is that he
resides with his wife and two teenage sons, none of which are
particularly fond of sailing. So the dingy has been my classroom.
I'm not complaining, there is a lot to be learned from dinghy sailing
so I have been doing a lot of that. Now for the sad news. my
relative sold his 44' sailboat and boat a motor trawler for the
space. No future hopes of sailing the big boat for me. But, I
recently found out that a guy I work with is in the sailing club at UC
Irvine and has several friends/relatives with boats. He is a very
experienced sailor and, of course, is always looking for an excuse to
get out on the water. After speaking a while he really wants to go
out on the weekends and use some of the boats he has access to and
teach me a thing or two about sailing. I also found out that my Dad's
colleuge at work with a racing/cruiser sailboat just moved it two
slips away from my relative that I have been sailing with. I have
been trying to get to talk to him about going out a few times because
it would seem that he is looking for a crew member so that he can push
the speed of his boat a bit but doesn't want to pay or really compete,
just have fun. So I am going out there this weekend to try and get
more people lined up for sailing. If any of you are in the Orange
county or L.A. County area and want someone to teach about sailing in
return for a free crew member or maybe a case of beer now and then let
me know.

That's my sailing news and I am sure you will all start to rip me
apart for something but at least it is related and we can get back to
talking about sailing.

Bill

posted to alt.sailing.asa

That's nice, Bill. Speaking of sailing, last weekend we
watched 'The Guardian' and 'Master & Commander'. Then later
I read 'The Old Man & The Sea'. A very nautical w/e.

SBV

"Bill" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On May 10, 12:33 pm, "Scotty" wrote:
That's nice, Bill. Speaking of sailing, last weekend we
watched 'The Guardian' and 'Master & Commander'. Then later
I read 'The Old Man & The Sea'. A very nautical w/e.

I was a little dissapointed by the gaurdian. I did like M&C. I
recently read the Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner. I thought it was a
great poem but very long. I also put a picture of the 'Lynx' up in my
office along with "Sea-Fever" the poem. It keeps me sane in an office
building that looks like a mental institution. This weekend, for
mothers day, we are going out on my brothers new boat. It is a Rinker
250. He said he didn't want anything to do with a sail so he bought a
power boat that's all party ready. I feel like a bit of a sell out
because it is really not my kind of boat and it guzzles gas. I'm not
the party boat kind of guy but it is kind of nice. It should be for
what he paid. I just can't wait to get my boat finished and on the
water. I'm gonna sail the hell out of it and love every second of
cold, wet, and windy movement.

Bill

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bill" wrote in message

I was a little dissapointed by the gaurdian.

I was expecting the worst. It wasn't that bad, though my
wife kept comparing it to Officer & a Gentleman.

SV

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On May 10, 3:12 pm, "Scotty" wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

I was a little dissapointed by the gaurdian.

I was expecting the worst. It wasn't that bad, though my
wife kept comparing it to Officer & a Gentleman.

SV

Lisa was right, I kept thinking the same thing..a remake in another
branch.. They did have some real rescue footage that was interesting.

joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Scotty wrote:
That's nice, Bill. Speaking of sailing, last weekend we
watched 'The Guardian' and 'Master & Commander'. Then later
I read 'The Old Man & The Sea'. A very nautical w/e.

SBV

"Bill" wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

What? You didn't want to go out in that? They've still got the CG
searching for the sailboat with 4 crew that launched an EPIRB...the
family thinks they just tan far out but why then would they have
launched the EPIRB? They still have small craft advisories up...regular
4-5 footers, which isn't too worrisome but they say there's been a lot
of roguey type that all of a sudden crop up twice as big in the mddile
of them...such a weird storm pattern...a storm that turns sub-tropical,
moves south, and then turns into a depression...we were out to Fort
Montoe and it was blowing so hard you could abrely walk against the wind
on the beach...there were no boats out at Old Port Comfort Marina
atall...today though, there's a bunch sailing on the James right in
front of the bridge....
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Scotty wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

I was a little dissapointed by the gaurdian.

I was expecting the worst. It wasn't that bad, though my
wife kept comparing it to Officer & a Gentleman.

SV

that was a sappy movie....
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bill,
Frette Thee Not.
There are always people looking for crew. It sounds a lot like you may
have found two. Go find the sailors (they won't come looking for you).
Join the club at UC Irvine. Pack a seabag and stand around on the
docks and meet people. In Many cases they will be glad to have railmeat
that actually knows that the pointy end goes first (more is just that
much better).

If you can started at racing with anybody - do it. When you get to be
known in the community (if you are know as dependable crew), you will
find it easier to get on other boats.

Who ever you are sailing with, remember that maintaining a boat is both
expensive and labor intensive and any help you can provide will be
appreciated.

Never forget the skipper that brings you in. Do not get a reputation as
one that likes to jump from crew to crew. You can change to another
crew, just be sure the skipper you leave isn't counting on you to show
up on race day. Above all else, be dependable crew.

I gave up this ng when the actual sailing content got near zero. There
are other sailing groups. This one has never adopted the OT in subject
unrelated to the charter topic. I stopped by and read you note. I do
drop by on the rare occasion to see if anything has changed.

Fair Wind and Smooth Sea

Matt Colie
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Marine and Perpetual Sailor

Bill wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Pointy end forward......Got it.

I plan to sail whenever I can with whoever wants me onboard. The best
way to learn is to do it. When my boat is finished I hope to be
capable enough to sail it myself but still sail with others to
improve. That's maybe a year from now. Maybe less.

Bill

Learning to sail the USA way. ARG ASA 82 March 23rd 06 01:10 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 January 21st 05 05:56 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 October 8th 04 05:24 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 July 13th 04 05:17 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 April 11th 04 12:10 PM