posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Here there be dictators.

Jonathan Ganz wrote:
In article ,
katy wrote:

I guess you never heard of lobbies and the money influence they have
on our elected officials. Do a google search on Jack Abramoff.

Neveretheless, we have a Constitutional government that spells out how
the people can remedy these ills. If the people are not willing to speak
up and take hold, then it's on their heads, lobbyists or no lobbyists.
And if lobbyists are money buying power, then start supporting the
lobbyist of your choice. Why do you think the NRA is so powerful? Lots
of regular everyday people contribute to them. Why is the AMA and the
NEA (both liberal I may add) so powerful? Becasue doctors and teachers
give their money to that specific cause. Blaming loobyists and money
interests is just another cop out that the average American uses to
justify their apathy and ennui in their own government. The American
people get exactly what they deserve.

Katy, katy... the point is that the lobbiest money is interfering with
the process. Some would claim that it's a first amendement right of
theirs to pump big money to politicians to get their way, but the
effect is to subvert the will of the people.

If you don't think that's true, see how easy or difficult it is for a
private citizen to get a private meeting with the President vs. a big
sponsor. This is true for both parties. The Dems have claimed they're
going to address it, but so far, nothing has happened.

I wonder why?? )that's a rhetorical question) SOme of the largest
lobbying groups are liberal...like i mentioned: the NEA, the AMA, 2 of
the most powerful...but then, those groups are made up of people with
interests who use the group effort rather than the individual effort to
make their mark...many regular old citizens contribute to those groups,
not just the big money...so..if you really want this war to end..start
lobbying...get some big money behind you...obviously, big money isn;'t
interested in ending the war...
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message
Jonathan Ganz wrote:
In article ,
katy wrote:

Jonathan Ganz wrote:

In article .com,
Bill wrote:

Bush said from the very beginning that he would veto this bill so all
of this time and money spent was a waste and they new it. This is not
news. The headline should read "Congress waste of time and money is
going exactly as planned". It should really be a celebration of them
finaly doing something they set out to do. Wasting time and money is
what politicians are good at.

They are doing the will of the people who sent them there. Bush is
ignoring what the people want.

Then they will put the bill through with a 2/3rd's majority vote..if that
doesn't happen, then it was not the people's will....

That's pretty naive even for you.

That's the way the Constitution works...if you don't like it, get a
petition going to change it...you'll need quite a few signatures and quite
a few states..will keep you very busy for quite some time...

Careful, Katy. The black helicopters are going to be circling your home any
day now.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
In article ,
katy wrote:
[...]

Actually it's controlling the process.

Some would claim that it's a first amendement right of
theirs to pump big money to politicians to get their way, but the
effect is to subvert the will of the people.

That's nothing new. In fact, it has been that way for far longer than you
or I have been alive.

If you don't think that's true, see how easy or difficult it is for a
private citizen to get a private meeting with the President vs. a big
sponsor. This is true for both parties. The Dems have claimed they're
going to address it, but so far, nothing has happened.

Politics as usual in Washington. The system is broken. It's not a
democracy; it's not even a republic. It's a special interest stranglehold
over the government and the citizens of this country.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

In article . com,
Bill wrote:
Katy, katy... the point is that the lobbiest money is interfering with
the process. Some would claim that it's a first amendement right of
theirs to pump big money to politicians to get their way, but the
effect is to subvert the will of the people.

Yes but in a capitalist country people vote two ways. One of those is
with your money. If you don't give your money to the groups with the
lobbyist then they can't do anything about it. They aren't printing
that money out themselves. They get it from the people that are
supporting their cause because the average person can't get a meeting
with the president. They take your money, pool it together and gain
enough political force to do what is in their best interest. If you
are supproting them then it should be in your best interest as well.

Like Microsoft, the health care companies, insurance companies, big
oil, big unions, etc.? I don't think they really represent "people,"
when they lobby Congress. The interests of the corporations might
coincide with some individual interests, perhaps more likely some of
their stockholders, but certainly not all of them. So, that's not
really voting, it's really influencing the voting of those in Congress
and the White House.

Again, try and get access to Bush and not be the head of a large
corp. or a big lobby firm and see what happens.

--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

In article ,
katy wrote:
[...]

What does the political affiliation have to do with the access we're
talking about? You're really stretching if you think this is good for
the country.

--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Jonathan Ganz wrote:
In article ,
katy wrote:

[...]

I don't think it's good...but sitting here and griping and complaining
about it certainly doesn';t change anything...like I said, if you don't
like things the way they are then get off your butt and get out there
and change things...that's the only way that the PEOPLE are going to get
back their governemnt..they have to become active participants...and
they can use the vehicles already established to infiltrate or they can
create their own new ways...I write letters to Congressmen all the
time..do you" I respond to surveys if they are woirthwhile...I write
network television stations and complain when something doesn't suit
me..I write manufactuter's when products are subp par or are
defective...I give my money to organizations that represent my
interests...and not to blanket charities like United Way...all I'm
saying is that sitting on alt.sailing.asa griping and moaning about the
conditions of the world is a futile endeavor...stop talking about it and
get out there and do something about it...
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message

Like Microsoft, the health care companies, insurance companies, big
oil, big unions, etc.? I don't think they really represent "people,"
when they lobby Congress. The interests of the corporations might
coincide with some individual interests, perhaps more likely some of
their stockholders, but certainly not all of them. So, that's not
really voting, it's really influencing the voting of those in Congress
and the White House.

It's all about money, Jon. "Them that has, gets. Them that don't, don't".
The irony is that the country is largely composed of middle class citizens,
a class of people largely unrepresented in either the White House or
Congress.

Again, try and get access to Bush and not be the head of a large
corp. or a big lobby firm and see what happens.

Hell, try getting access to the president of any major American corporation.
About as futile.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message

[...]

I admire your persistent faith in the system, K. I guess I've been around
long enough to have become cynical. I've watched grass-roots movements rise
and fall without effect. I've watched small corporations get kicked around
and dissolved by big money and its influence with government. I pay a
horrendous bill in FICA, only to be told I'm unlikely to ever see even a
reasonable percentage of it returned by SS. And I see the man for whom I
voted and believed to be honorable and decent slide into the hip pockets of
every special interest that gave him a few bucks for his
election/re-election. Yeah, I'm cynical.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

OzOne wrote in message news
On 2 May 2007 11:30:36 -0700, Bill
scribbled thusly:

Bush said from the very beginning that he would veto this bill so all
of this time and money spent was a waste and they new it. This is not
news. The headline should read "Congress waste of time and money is
going exactly as planned". It should really be a celebration of them
finaly doing something they set out to do. Wasting time and money is
what politicians are good at.

Bill

Exactly,,,why waste time doing what the people want!

Whatever gave you the impression that politicians do what the people want?
Silly boy.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Maxprop wrote:
"katy" wrote in message

[...]

There's a difference between cynacism and defeatism...You can be a cynic
or a skeptic and still go on...it doens't mean you have to lie down in
defeat...

Here there be dictators. katy ASA 22 May 3rd 07 05:54 PM
Here there be dictators. Bob Crantz ASA 5 May 3rd 07 01:58 PM
Jimmy Carter American Traitor Skipper General 3 February 23rd 06 01:09 AM