posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default too hot or not?

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
OOPS!
Sorry, didn't read your full post.

For that small diesel, I'd say you are probably OK with the single
Pyrometer but I'm not a Diesel Mech. I got by with a single Temp
indicator for 17 years without a problem.

That proves a temperature gauge is a reliable system worth having. 17
years of motoring almost daily and putting the sails up once or twice a
year means that diesel sure got some hours on it.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On your Swan or your 'other boat'?

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote

I've got 17 years of motoring almost daily and
putting the sails up once or twice a year.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
I'm considering adding a pyrometer to my boat.. the current temp gage is
for water, and I've heard from several sources that if there's a sudden
increase, it might not offer enough warning.

Something like this: http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/pyrometers.htm

However, I'm concerned about putting a hole in my exhaust manifold.

Anybody done this? Tips/tricks/things to watchout for?

Nah. Just wait until the engine seizes, like Capt. Neal does.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
I'm considering adding a pyrometer to my boat.. the current temp gage
is for water, and I've heard from several sources that if there's a
sudden increase, it might not offer enough warning.

Something like this: http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/pyrometers.htm

However, I'm concerned about putting a hole in my exhaust manifold.

Anybody done this? Tips/tricks/things to watchout for?

Nah. Just wait until the engine seizes, like Capt. Neal does.

Max

A seized engine would be the very least of the Good Captain's concerns.
After all, he probably starts the engine maybe two or three times a year
just to make sure it still runs. The rest of the time he uses his sails.
He sails off and onto his mooring and he sails everywhere he goes. He
claims he can even sail "Cuts the Mustard" backwards. That's one thing I
admire about the Captain. From reading his website from front to back
I've learned many things. Among them is the fact that Capt. Neal knows
what a sailboat is for and it's for sailing and not for motoring like
everybody here does more than they use their sails.

Ass clowns like Jonathan Ganz have a motor mentality. First they install
a bunch of gadgets about which they are totally ignorant as the proper
installation and care. Then they spend most of their time whining and
complaining that this doesn't work and that doesn't work and until they
can get it figured out they just can't go sailing. It's really very
transparent. They aren't sailors but they like to pretend they are. So
they talk the talk but when it comes to walking the walk they just can't
because they don't really know how. Instead of learning how to sail
their boat all they manage to do is learn how to install a bunch of
unnecessary crap that allows them to constantly tinker. They think
tinkering, fixing, troubleshooting mechanical crap makes them a sailor.
What a hoot!

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

In article . net,
Maxprop wrote:

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
I'm considering adding a pyrometer to my boat.. the current temp gage is
for water, and I've heard from several sources that if there's a sudden
increase, it might not offer enough warning.

Something like this: http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/pyrometers.htm

However, I'm concerned about putting a hole in my exhaust manifold.

Anybody done this? Tips/tricks/things to watchout for?

Nah. Just wait until the engine seizes, like Capt. Neal does.

Ah... So, the black smoke and pegged water temp gauge is a bad thing
then?

--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
In article . net,
Maxprop wrote:

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
I'm considering adding a pyrometer to my boat.. the current temp gage is
for water, and I've heard from several sources that if there's a sudden
increase, it might not offer enough warning.

Something like this: http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/pyrometers.htm

However, I'm concerned about putting a hole in my exhaust manifold.

Anybody done this? Tips/tricks/things to watchout for?

Nah. Just wait until the engine seizes, like Capt. Neal does.

Ah... So, the black smoke and pegged water temp gauge is a bad thing
then?

Sure, but the sudden stoppage of the engine is the dead giveaway.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Maxprop wrote:

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
I'm considering adding a pyrometer to my boat.. the current temp gage is
for water, and I've heard from several sources that if there's a sudden
increase, it might not offer enough warning.

Something like this: http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/pyrometers.htm

However, I'm concerned about putting a hole in my exhaust manifold.

Anybody done this? Tips/tricks/things to watchout for?

Nah. Just wait until the engine seizes, like Capt. Neal does.

Ah... So, the black smoke and pegged water temp gauge is a bad thing
then?

Sure, but the sudden stoppage of the engine is the dead giveaway.

I wondered why I'm always sailing into the berth.

--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Apr 14, 3:11 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
I'm considering adding a pyrometer to my boat.. the current temp gage is for
water, and I've heard from several sources that if there's a sudden
increase, it might not offer enough warning.

Something like this:http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/pyrometers.htm

However, I'm concerned about putting a hole in my exhaust manifold.

Anybody done this? Tips/tricks/things to watchout for?

If you have a turbo I think it makes sense.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

In article .com,
Bart wrote:
On Apr 14, 3:11 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
I'm considering adding a pyrometer to my boat.. the current temp gage is for
water, and I've heard from several sources that if there's a sudden
increase, it might not offer enough warning.

Something like this:http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/pyrometers.htm

However, I'm concerned about putting a hole in my exhaust manifold.

Anybody done this? Tips/tricks/things to watchout for?

If you have a turbo I think it makes sense.

When I had her surveyed, the surveyor thought I should look into
it. There's nothing wrong with the gauge, but he claimed he's done it
with all his sailboats over the years.

--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 14, 2:11 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
I'm considering adding a pyrometer to my boat.. the current temp gage is for
water, and I've heard from several sources that if there's a sudden
increase, it might not offer enough warning.

Something like this:http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/pyrometers.htm

However, I'm concerned about putting a hole in my exhaust manifold.

Anybody done this? Tips/tricks/things to watchout for?

--
"j" ganz

I'd just stick with the water temp gauge. Drilling and tapping cast
iron can be difficult, might lead to cracking.

Joe