posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Bob Crantz...Not exactly a contractor or a sailor!

Take a look, Bob! That's a 4 inch column centered beneath a 16 foot
span. Joints and loads matter a great deal. Even with a truss roof, a
wall above the beam can be trouble. Only a fool and an ass like you
would try to diagnose something like this without knowing the
variables.

This is the original room....

http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/family.jpg

And this is afterwards, awaitiing the new 126 inch screen, HD
projector and SVS subs, which go in next week...

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...g?t=1176164927

So tell us...how was it done? F plates, I-beam? Larger wood beam? No
mods at all? And since the guest room has almost the same span (and
two out of four joints) with a pole removed almost 6 years ago, can
you let us all know when I'll need to fix the drywall????? Both jobs
were done by the same person. Good luck!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...

Take a look, Bob! That's a 4 inch column centered beneath a 16 foot
span. Joints and loads matter a great deal. Even with a truss roof, a
wall above the beam can be trouble. Only a fool and an ass like you
would try to diagnose something like this without knowing the
variables.

Actually it is a 2" column when you account for the screw at the top of the
lolly. Why isn't it encased in drywall? Code violation#1. No handrail on the
stairs. Code Violation #2. Either the basement floor lifted or the exterior
wall sunk. That beam is bent.

This is the original room....

http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/family.jpg

And this is afterwards, awaitiing the new 126 inch screen, HD
projector and SVS subs, which go in next week...

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...g?t=1176164927

So tell us...how was it done? F plates, I-beam? Larger wood beam? No
mods at all? And since the guest room has almost the same span (and
two out of four joints) with a pole removed almost 6 years ago, can
you let us all know when I'll need to fix the drywall????? Both jobs
were done by the same person. Good luck!

Done by photoshop.

The acoustics in that room are going to be shameful. Such a low ceiling and
highly reflective walls. Are you a troglodyte? Deaf? Cheap stereo?

Why don't you buy a real house? It is cheaper than fixing up that place,
especially since you must pay for labor. Crank the numbers and see.

Did you get your radon checked? 35% chance in your area you are over 4.7
pc/L.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Actually it is a 2" column when you account for the screw at the top
of the
lolly. Why isn't it encased in drywall? Code violation#1. No handrail
on the
stairs. Code Violation #2. Either the basement floor lifted or the
exterior
wall sunk. That beam is bent.

Wrong again. 4 inch column is standard and does not require a cosmetic
enclosure to be up to code. In fact there are companies that make
plastic, wood and even fabric covers for them, but they are not
required. There is a handrail on the staircase. The beam had no load
deflection nor does the one in the guest room which also had the pole
removed.

Done by photoshop.

Wow! Really???? Of course you really just admitted you're impressed by
suggesting that...and THANKS!

The acoustics in that room are going to be shameful. Such a low
ceiling and
highly reflective walls. Are you a troglodyte? Deaf? Cheap stereo?

Outside of a real sound room, the room is about the flattest around.
The floor is concrete and three walls are drywall over wood. Even
empty there is no audible reflections. I may actually have to add a
sub and tweak for more HF response, but we'll see.

Did you get your radon checked? 35% chance in your area you are
over 4.7
pc/L.

Don't you know anything about engineers for NY state? Radon check is
done twice and required by the insurance co. DId you know that a
proper test must be partially invasive on the ground floor? Of course
you didn't.
Well, the photoshop comment is all I needed. Thanks again!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...

Actually it is a 2" column when you account for the screw at the top
of the
lolly. Why isn't it encased in drywall? Code violation#1. No handrail
on the
stairs. Code Violation #2. Either the basement floor lifted or the
exterior
wall sunk. That beam is bent.

Wrong again. 4 inch column is standard and does not require a cosmetic
enclosure to be up to code. In fact there are companies that make
plastic, wood and even fabric covers for them, but they are not
required.

I was talking about fire protection for the steel column. It's in the UBC,
IRC.

The 2" extended screw is the weakest link in the column.

There is a handrail on the staircase. The beam had no load
deflection nor does the one in the guest room which also had the pole
removed.

Looking at the picture the beam does not look straight. It looks like it has
a butt joint right above the column and the column is too tall. It wasn't
aligned properly when installed or the relative positions of the basement
floor and foundation have changed.

Done by photoshop.

Wow! Really???? Of course you really just admitted you're impressed by
suggesting that...and THANKS!

You are welcome. I believe you have the talent to do just that. Those videos
you did for the sail company were pretty good.

The acoustics in that room are going to be shameful. Such a low
ceiling and
highly reflective walls. Are you a troglodyte? Deaf? Cheap stereo?

Outside of a real sound room, the room is about the flattest around.

Measured by what? You ear?

The floor is concrete and three walls are drywall over wood.

A wooden foundation?

Even
empty there is no audible reflections.

The room is so small the cutoff frequency is so high I doubt you could tell
anything.

I may actually have to add a
sub and tweak for more HF response, but we'll see.

HF response in that room is essentially free space, especially since you
claim no reflections. It's the LF that needs help.

Did you get your radon checked? 35% chance in your area you are
over 4.7
pc/L.

Don't you know anything about engineers for NY state? Radon check is
done twice and required by the insurance co. DId you know that a
proper test must be partially invasive on the ground floor? Of course
you didn't.

Whatever. Go to the EPA site to see what is required. Do you know that
radons levels can vary greatly over the year and readings taken one time are
only a snapshot measurement. If you are interested in radon here's a
continuous monitor for $90:

http://radonmonitor.com/

I use a continuous monitor and over the course of a year the levels vary
from 0 pc/L to over 12 pc/L in my basement.

If you needed two invasive tests for radon it sounds like you had to get
some special government financing for the mortgage on your home. Is that why
all your assets are in Suzy's name?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 06:41:38 -0700, "Bob Crantz"
wrote:

The "fire protection" for steel lolly columns is that they are filled
with concrete. Covering them with drywall wouldn't do much, if
anything.

Then drywall doesn't do much fire protection for attached garages either.

Filling with concrete offer no gain in strength other than compression. So
how does one fill an adjustable screw column with concrete? How does
concrete help a buckling mode?

The floor is concrete and three walls are drywall over wood.

A wooden foundation?

I dunno. Sounds like a typical FINISHED BASEMENT to me.

Unless the drywall is screwed directly to the concrete walls. Code requires
the lathing for drywall, it is a given. So is the foundation wood?

And you are wrong about the drywall as fire protection for a steel column.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

This industry publication shows a 1 1/2 hour fire protection rating for a 4
inch steel column covered with gypsum wallboard (aka "drywall").

http://www.nationalgypsum.com/resour...ound/goldn.pdf

Did you know that it is ok to solder residential wiring connections?

Amen!

BC

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message

Sorry, Crantz, but you lose this one on all counts.

Try again.

Drywall for fire protection on 4 1/2" steel columns:

http://www.nationalgypsum.com/resour...ound/goldn.pdf

And furring strips/lathing strip on drywall to concrete:

http://inetdocs.loudoun.gov/b&d/docs...1/basement.pdf

Industry publications and building codes.

Isn't it time for you to go to your job of selling hotdogs out in front of
Home Depot? Give Robbie a freebie on me when he passes by as he is gathering
up the shopping carts.

Amen!

Bob Crantz

posted to alt.sailing.asa

And you are wrong about the drywall as fire protection for a steel
column.

Concrete filled 4" columns are up to code without ANY covering and the
screw is not required if the top of the post is fitted into a
compression plate, which should be there anyway. We looked at more
than 60 homes, most of which had columns that were bare. I guess they
were all not up to code!
Bob, you really truly screwed the pooch!

And where's my thanks for coming back to add some fun here?

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Filling with concrete offer no gain in strength other than
compression.

Now that's funny! Did you know the toilet really offers no gain other
that removal of human waste? I also heard that the hull keeps water
out!

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh my!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
And you are wrong about the drywall as fire protection for a steel
column.

Concrete filled 4" columns are up to code without ANY covering and the
screw is not required if the top of the post is fitted into a
compression plate, which should be there anyway. We looked at more
than 60 homes, most of which had columns that were bare. I guess they
were all not up to code!

That could be not up to current code. Fire barriers were not required in the
60's. I'm not sure about the concrete filling. Got a reference on that?
How's the aluminum wiring in your house doing?

If you looked at 60 homes couldn't you have done better? You are now more
dependent on your cars than ever. Why only one?

And where's my thanks for coming back to add some fun here?

Hey, you know I always appreciate your presence. Without you ASA is a
rotting corpse. BTW on your recommendations I bought a D70 and I'm looking
at a Subaru to replace a Toyota. Even though I try to beat you with a
folding chair at every opportunity, I respect your advice it is usually very
good. I'd be helping you troll and beat the entire group senseless but you
do it so competently yourself I try to throw in a challenge for you. You've
earned my respect. But why the doublewide?

Bwahahahahahahahaaaa!!!!!

Bob Crantz