posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default visual distress

"katy" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Apr 4, 11:54 am, "Scotty" wrote:

Why do you need 'curtains' on a sail boat?

Scotty

They keep out light, keeping the interior cooler.

Joe

Yep... cooler also. Also keeps fading of the interior fabics down.

We keep our open when not on teh boat so that mildew will be exposed to
light if it should raise it's nasty self in the boat...

I don't bother about that in the living space. I do keep the enclosed spaces
open when I'm not around... attempting to get some airflow in there.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Martin Baxter" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote:

Joe

Already own a sewing machine... decided I don't really want the hassle.
Besides, I'm not that good on it to make the drapes look right. The quote
got from them was about $225 for the four portlights.

Jon, it's really easy, I did like Katy, bought some of those short
kitchen drapes, which still weren't short enough. I folded the bottom
hem on itself twice and sewed a sinlge straight seam along them, done.
It was a discount store, I think I paid about 6 bucks for the drapes.

Cheers
Marty
For a quality usenet news server, try DNEWS, easy to install,
fast, efficient and reliable. For home servers or carrier class
installations with millions of users it will allow you to grow!
---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_dnews.htm ----

Well, if I was going to do that, I'd want them to be pleated (sp?), and I'm
not sure I'm up for it. They would have to be in six sections for about 14'
total of portlight.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Apr 3, 10:37 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:

It seems that my boat came with "drapes" in a track for the portlights.
took them down intending to wash/repair them, but they basically fell
apart
in my hands... must have been totally degraded by the sun, original
equipment, or both.

I would really like to replace the drapes with something other than
material
that can be so easily degraded. I've heard about plastic shutters by
Zarcor...http://www.zarcor.com/PeekaBooo/index.htm. Someone have
thoughts
about alternatives to the drapes besides this?

Besides, they're ugly and don't work that well.

--
"j" ganz

You could buy a sewing machine and make new drapes for the cost of 2
Peekaboos. Line the back of the drapes with white UV fabric.

Joe

Already own a sewing machine... decided I don't really want the hassle.
Besides, I'm not that good on it to make the drapes look right. The quote
I got from them was about $225 for the four portlights.

Good grief! I paid 29.00 all told for mine! TThat is not an item that you
will recoup in a sale of the boat...no one buys a boat based on the
curtains....unless you plan to keep the baot forever (and even then I
couldn't justify that expense) go the cheaper route...

I'll consider it... certainly. I'm just not sure I'd do a nice job. I think
I'll try one and see how it looks.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote in message

Already own a sewing machine...

why am I not surprised by this.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 16:36:38 -0400, "Scotty"

wrote:

"Capt. JG" wrote in message

Already own a sewing machine...

why am I not surprised by this.

Because you own one, too.

Wrong, dickweed, I own two.

SBV

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 12:58:38 -0400, katy

I would look in Scotty's pants more than once.

CWM

pervert!

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Scotty wrote:
"Capt. JG" wrote in message

Already own a sewing machine...

why am I not surprised by this.

So do you....so what deos that mean?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..
Why do you need 'curtains' on a sail boat?

Scotty

That's what I was wondering.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 4, 11:54 am, "Scotty" wrote:
Why do you need 'curtains' on a sail boat?

Scotty

They keep out light, keeping the interior cooler.

Joe

Yep... cooler also. Also keeps fading of the interior fabics down.
--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Say what? If your ports are glass, almost no UV gets through them. That's
why fabrics in cars seldom fade. Not to mention that you should have
UV-stable fabrics in your boat anyway.

In fairness, Jon, I realize that Sabre uses those long, fixed Plexiglas
windows, and I can see why you might want to have drapes over them. Our ten
house ports are rectangular opening bronze ports with glass, and it's not
really easy to see inside the boat, unless you are right up on the port.
We've never used drapes in this boat, and I don't foresee us getting them.
We put a slip-on cover over the two ports in the V-berth to keep out sun in
the morning, if we plan to sleep in a bit. That's about the only
concession.

Katy is right--Sunbrella is best. It is tough, won't fade, and it won't
degrade with time.

Max

Visual Passage Planner ver. 2 El Capitano Electronics 0 October 27th 05 04:46 PM
Visual Passage Planner ver. 2 El Capitano ASA 0 October 27th 05 04:45 PM
Marine Radios Bob Electronics 13 August 7th 04 11:28 AM
SOS Visual Distress Signal Eric General 8 April 30th 04 04:33 PM
SOS Distress Light Regulations Len Krauss Cruising 0 February 13th 04 02:25 AM