posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default visual distress

It seems that my boat came with "drapes" in a track for the portlights. I
took them down intending to wash/repair them, but they basically fell apart
in my hands... must have been totally degraded by the sun, original
equipment, or both.

I would really like to replace the drapes with something other than material
that can be so easily degraded. I've heard about plastic shutters by
Zarcor... http://www.zarcor.com/PeekaBooo/index.htm. Someone have thoughts
about alternatives to the drapes besides this?

Besides, they're ugly and don't work that well.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 3, 10:37 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
It seems that my boat came with "drapes" in a track for the portlights. I
took them down intending to wash/repair them, but they basically fell apart
in my hands... must have been totally degraded by the sun, original
equipment, or both.

I would really like to replace the drapes with something other than material
that can be so easily degraded. I've heard about plastic shutters by
Zarcor...http://www.zarcor.com/PeekaBooo/index.htm. Someone have thoughts
about alternatives to the drapes besides this?

Besides, they're ugly and don't work that well.

--
"j" ganz

You could buy a sewing machine and make new drapes for the cost of 2
Peekaboos. Line the back of the drapes with white UV fabric.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. JG wrote:
It seems that my boat came with "drapes" in a track for the portlights. I
took them down intending to wash/repair them, but they basically fell apart
in my hands... must have been totally degraded by the sun, original
equipment, or both.

I would really like to replace the drapes with something other than material
that can be so easily degraded. I've heard about plastic shutters by
Zarcor... http://www.zarcor.com/PeekaBooo/index.htm. Someone have thoughts
about alternatives to the drapes besides this?

Besides, they're ugly and don't work that well.

I went to JC Penny's and bought navy blue cotton/polyester valance cafe
curtains...attached the little hooks that fit into our track where the
cafe rings were and voila! Cheap...and they also come in white and
red...this is their 6 th year and they have faded on teh port side so
will be replaced...at a minimal cost...they are entirely washable...on
the 27 we had white duck with a blue stripe but I didn't care for the
white...spider dirt doesn't wash out very well and leaves stains...stay
away from white if you ahve any spiders...(haven't had the spider
problem in NC like we did in MI for some reason...)
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:
On Apr 3, 10:37 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:

It seems that my boat came with "drapes" in a track for the portlights. I
took them down intending to wash/repair them, but they basically fell apart
in my hands... must have been totally degraded by the sun, original
equipment, or both.

I would really like to replace the drapes with something other than material
that can be so easily degraded. I've heard about plastic shutters by
Zarcor...http://www.zarcor.com/PeekaBooo/index.htm. Someone have thoughts
about alternatives to the drapes besides this?

Besides, they're ugly and don't work that well.

--
"j" ganz

You could buy a sewing machine and make new drapes for the cost of 2
Peekaboos. Line the back of the drapes with white UV fabric.

Joe

....sunbrealla...you can buy itr online or sometimes you can get scraps
from a local person that does upholstery and awnings etc...for that
matter, if you're so inclined, you can make curtains out of sunbrella,
too...I have a seabag that I bought years ago made out of the
stuff...hjot pink and electric blue, and it has not faded in the 10
years or so I';ve had it..and it's been through the washing machine
countless times...
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote:

It seems that my boat came with "drapes" in a track for the portlights. I
took them down intending to wash/repair them, but they basically fell apart
in my hands... must have been totally degraded by the sun, original
equipment, or both.

I would really like to replace the drapes with something other than material
that can be so easily degraded. I've heard about plastic shutters by
Zarcor... http://www.zarcor.com/PeekaBooo/index.htm. Someone have thoughts
about alternatives to the drapes besides this?

Besides, they're ugly and don't work that well.

Jeeze Jon, how big are your ports? We're not talking about 8' bay
windows here, you can sew up some new drapes in a matter of minutes with
a dollars worth of remnants. They'll probably last at least five years.

Cheers
Marty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 20:37:54 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

It seems that my boat came with "drapes" in a track for the portlights. I
took them down intending to wash/repair them, but they basically fell apart
in my hands... must have been totally degraded by the sun, original
equipment, or both.

I would really like to replace the drapes with something other than material
that can be so easily degraded. I've heard about plastic shutters by
Zarcor... http://www.zarcor.com/PeekaBooo/index.htm. Someone have thoughts
about alternatives to the drapes besides this?

Besides, they're ugly and don't work that well.

Boy is your timing off. I just discarded a set. The type that have
the small aluminum extruded track and the drapes had small plastic
slides sewn on. Been in my attic for 7-8 years. Might have fit.
Little faded but not too bad. You could have had them for shipping.

When I put new lexan ports on my last boat, I never reinstalled them.

But my vote would be sunbrella. Normally can buy at any fabric store,
don't have to go to a "marine" store and pay more.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Why do you need 'curtains' on a sail boat?

Scotty

"katy" wrote in message
Joe wrote:
On Apr 3, 10:37 pm, "Capt. JG"

wrote:

[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Scotty wrote:
Why do you need 'curtains' on a sail boat?

Scotty

"katy" wrote in message

Joe wrote:

On Apr 3, 10:37 pm, "Capt. JG"

wrote:

[...]

Becasue we are in a marina...and sleep in a marina...and with the lgihts
on at night you become a fishbowl...I really don't like feeding the
impulses of every voyeur walking by on the dock...even when you're on an
anchor or the mooring you can have "interested" parties deift by, like
people in bass boats with quiet trolling motors, that peer through at
you...we have had this happen...when I am on my boat, it is my home and
just like I don't like people standing in the yard or on the sidewalk
peering in, I don't like it on my baot either...but then, I imagine
you're a bit of an exibitionsit so maybe it doesn't matter to you...
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 4, 11:54 am, "Scotty" wrote:
Why do you need 'curtains' on a sail boat?

Scotty

They keep out light, keeping the interior cooler.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 3, 10:37 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
It seems that my boat came with "drapes" in a track for the portlights. I
took them down intending to wash/repair them, but they basically fell
apart
in my hands... must have been totally degraded by the sun, original
equipment, or both.

I would really like to replace the drapes with something other than
material
that can be so easily degraded. I've heard about plastic shutters by
Zarcor...http://www.zarcor.com/PeekaBooo/index.htm. Someone have thoughts
about alternatives to the drapes besides this?

Besides, they're ugly and don't work that well.

--
"j" ganz

You could buy a sewing machine and make new drapes for the cost of 2
Peekaboos. Line the back of the drapes with white UV fabric.

Joe

Already own a sewing machine... decided I don't really want the hassle.
Besides, I'm not that good on it to make the drapes look right. The quote I
got from them was about $225 for the four portlights.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Visual Passage Planner ver. 2 El Capitano Electronics 0 October 27th 05 04:46 PM
Visual Passage Planner ver. 2 El Capitano ASA 0 October 27th 05 04:45 PM
Marine Radios Bob Electronics 13 August 7th 04 11:28 AM
SOS Visual Distress Signal Eric General 8 April 30th 04 04:33 PM
SOS Distress Light Regulations Len Krauss Cruising 0 February 13th 04 02:25 AM