posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Whale attack

I was thinking after I read Joe's "shiver" posts that my Allied Seawind
32 will shake in rhythm if the wind strikes the mast sideways at certain
wind speeds. If one lies on deck with head near the mainmast and looks
up one can actually see the mast "pumping".

Now, it is said that whales can hear very low frequencies. Picture a
sailboat as an oddly-shaped base fiddle sitting in the water. The mast
pumps and the rigging moans so I wonder if whales can hear this and
might this be the reason some yachts are attacked by whales.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 3, 4:40 pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
I was thinking after I read Joe's "shiver" posts that my Allied Seawind
32 will shake in rhythm if the wind strikes the mast sideways at certain
wind speeds. If one lies on deck with head near the mainmast and looks
up one can actually see the mast "pumping".

Now, it is said that whales can hear very low frequencies. Picture a
sailboat as an oddly-shaped base fiddle sitting in the water. The mast
pumps and the rigging moans so I wonder if whales can hear this and
might this be the reason some yachts are attacked by whales.

Wilbur Hubbard

Yes they hear it, I doubt they attack due to it.
Most "attacks" are people bashing into whales.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
I was thinking after I read Joe's "shiver" posts that my Allied Seawind 32
will shake in rhythm if the wind strikes the mast sideways at certain wind
speeds. If one lies on deck with head near the mainmast and looks up one
can actually see the mast "pumping".

Sold your Swan 68 then??

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Edgar" wrote in message

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
I was thinking after I read Joe's "shiver" posts that my Allied
Seawind 32 will shake in rhythm if the wind strikes the mast sideways
at certain wind speeds. If one lies on deck with head near the
mainmast and looks up one can actually see the mast "pumping".

Sold your Swan 68 then??

The Swan is my show-off boats to impress clients. My Seawind is for the
joy of sailing.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in
message ...

"Edgar" wrote in message

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote

in message
I was thinking after I read Joe's "shiver" posts that my

Allied
Seawind 32 will shake in rhythm if the wind strikes the

mast sideways
at certain wind speeds. If one lies on deck with head

near the
mainmast and looks up one can actually see the mast

"pumping".

Sold your Swan 68 then??

The Swan is my jerk-off to boat . My Seawind is for the
newsgroup.

Wilbur Hubbard

TMI

Whale attack Eisboch General 37 March 15th 07 04:22 AM
Judge Upholds Constitution against Bush Thugs NOYB General 78 March 2nd 05 08:29 PM
Deluge of right whale deaths Mac ASA 0 January 13th 05 03:26 PM
Faulty depth finder attributed to whale attack!! Sidney Greenstreet ASA 77 October 13th 03 01:24 AM