posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default OT Root canal

Anybody here ever had a root canal. I'm scheduled to have one next week
and I've been wondering if this rather primitive sounding technique of
gutting the insides of a tooth and filling the now dead tooth with
plastic is the best modern dentistry has come up with. Is there any
other treatment for a small abscess at one of the roots of a tooth other
than killing the tooth? The tooth doesn't even hurt. It just feels funny
when I chew on it. If I chew gum it feels a little like it's gonna pull
out but it's tight in the jaw and there's not swelling or discoloration
or any other external sign of a problem They only caught it on an x-ray.
But my dentist says get her done! He says it will never get better on
its own and might end up causing problems for nearby teeth not to
mention degrade my general health and stamina because it represents a
low-grade infection my body has to fight constantly. Any thoughts or
experiences?

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
[...]

Hey, Katy. You might be happy to learn my eyes correct to 20/20 . . .

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Get it done sooner rather than later. I suppose a post and cap is in order.
Not cheap.
You might get a second opinion. If you aren't feeling it, it might not be
all that close to the nerve, another dentist might suggest just capping it.
I've had at least one saved in the "nick of time"
Scout

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

[...]

Tie a string around it, attach other end to a 25 lb CQR (allow three
feet of string 'twixt anchor and tooth), stand on pulpit and deploy
anchor. Problem solved. Oh, don't forget to make sure that your rode is
attached to boat and anchor, and is longer than three feet)

Cheers
Marty
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
Get it done sooner rather than later. I suppose a post and cap is in
order. Not cheap.

It already has a gold crown on it. Been there over twenty years. The
plan is to drill a hole in the center of the crown, go in with
microscope and micro tools and remove the pulp from the root canals (one
of which they say is causing the infection which the body can't remove
because there isn't enough blood vessels in the pulp for white blood
cells to get to work so the infection is fought in the area where the
nerve exits the root tip causing an abscess), then disinfect, then fill
with some sort of sterile soft plastic to imitate the removed pulp. Then
fill the hole in the crown.

You might get a second opinion. If you aren't feeling it, it might not
be all that close to the nerve, another dentist might suggest just
capping it. I've had at least one saved in the "nick of time"

My dentist said to get it done soon. I scheduled an appoint with an
ontodontist who specializes in microscopic dental surgery. Very
expensive. About 2 large. I could get the molar yanked but it would
leave a gap in the chewing area and the other teeth would probably start
moving into the gap and ruin my bite. I have all my teeth but many are
crowns. I'd rather pay the big bucks too keep things in line and working
properly. If it's necessary, it's necessary. I guess the orthodontist,
after he looks at it and the x-rays, will know for sure.

Thanks for the info.

Wilbur Hubbard

[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
Yank it, and put the money saved into your boat. Dentists always
exaggerate the effect of a missing tooth. If your other teeth are
healthy you'll be dead before any bad effect shows up. You're plus
50 years old, right? Takes about 40 years for the teeth to move
to a snaggle bearing, give or take 5 years. This assumes you don't
open beer bottles with them.
I would get the root canal for myself, but I don't have a boat,
so I'm giving you advice tailored for your circumstances.
Take it or leave it if I missed something, but don't forget to check
out that orthodontist's car. I had one molar root canal go bad after
about 5 years because the guy didn't get all the nerve. After 6
months of off-and-on aches, I had to get it pulled.
He drove a Volvo.

2 grand won't buy even a winch for my Swan 68 . . . I'd rather spend in
on my teeth. Besides, 2 grand is chicken feed when one is worth
millions.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:54:14 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Scout" wrote in message
Get it done sooner rather than later. I suppose a post and cap is in
order. Not cheap.

My dentist said to get it done soon. I scheduled an appoint with an
ontodontist who specializes in microscopic dental surgery. Very
expensive. About 2 large.

Best check what kind of car he drives.

[...]

--Vic
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
[...]

Maybe the dentist will drill far enough through your tooth to reach your
brain, Wilbur. In that event, there may be some possibility that you
might be cured after all. In that case, you might even begin to
acknowledge all the attributes and advantages of owning a Mac. In any
event, it's something for you to think about as you lie there in the
chair as the dentist continues to drill into your head.

Just a suggestion.

Jim

Root of money Gilligan ASA 11 November 16th 06 10:26 PM
Erie Canal Closed UPstate NY Larry Cruising 1 July 1st 06 01:03 PM
Panama Canal requires AIS in all vessels Larry Cruising 18 July 18th 05 02:46 AM
Panama Canal requires AIS in all vessels Larry Electronics 18 July 18th 05 02:46 AM