Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default The Joys of Boating

On Mar 26, 10:28 pm, Peter Hendra wrote:
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 15:39:57 GMT, JimC wrote:

Snip
Cheers
Peter Hendra
(I do go on - don't I? Blame it on the Greek blood).

Reminds me of my first boat;
she was a little 30' troller, out of Charlston Oregon.
An old converted log pond tug; she only had a foot of free board and a
foot of keel.

the Fella I bought her from started fishing as a boy in 1919 and his
boats had always been rigged like he learned to fish.
the Terry L had hand gurdies running tuna cord and cotton spreads.

the boat he got to replace the Terry L was almost 100 years old and 22
foot double ender he set it up the same way.
every day this 80 year old would be on his boat at 4:30 in the
morning.
all the young fishermen laughed at him heading out the jaws at 5 knots
for a day of fishing.
what they didnt see was his daily catch.
I had to learn how to use the gear on my boat; so i went fishing as
his hand for a couple years.
this man never came to port with less than a hold full of fish.
The Argus would never win a beauty contest but she sure could fish.