posted to alt.comedy.standup,alt.sailing.asa,alt.punk

Default Thoughts that Arise When I Watch Those Geico Caveman Commercials

On Mar 8, 7:52 pm, Wavy G wrote:
"I don't really get this. I mean, it's kind of funny, but I feel like
this is part of some inside joke that I missed out on."

"I thought the Geico mascot was that little Australian lizard. What
ever happened to him?"

"What the hell is Geico anyway?"

"Hey, isn't that Talia Shire?"

I think GEICO uses lizards because though the original mascot was a
snake, the organized snake lobby successfully objected to being linked
to something institutionally lower than themselves, and the stupid
Geckos apparetly never saw it coming.

By the way, is Gavy G's last name "Gravy" by any chance? ... We could
be related by a distant clown.

-Bozo-

posted to alt.comedy.standup,alt.sailing.asa,alt.punk

By the way, is Gavy G's last name "Gravy" by any chance? ... We could
be related by a distant clown.

-Bozo-

I mean is Wavy G's last name Gravy?

-Bozo-

posted to alt.comedy.standup,alt.sailing.asa,alt.punk

I'm not into comparing commercials. There's too much copy-cat
stuff going on with them. But every so often one sticks with you for
some reason. I too do not think the Geico caveman is funny. But it
had an odd appeal that caused me to analyze it. I saw in this thread
a guy use the word "metro-centric". I am too lazy to pull out the
dictionary (don't have one on the computer), but I'm assuming it means
"takes on the manners and gestures of a metopolitan urban dweller" or
something like that.

Anyway, the main appeal is that these cavemen are using facial
expressions and verbal inflections that weren't even around in the
early or mid 1900s, let alone back in the caveman days. The Burger
King commercial is the same thing, the King strutting like no European
from that time ever strutted, at least not in public. And even when
he's not strutting, he's still acting in ways that might be considered
modern. In this way the King commercial is similar in presentation to
the Caveman commercial.

Maybe they can get together and do a Burger King commercial in
which Geico is also advertised. Like, the King is working the counter
of Burger King and a customer is asking if the burgers are really the
best, and the King's smiling mask bobs up and down. Then the customer
asks, "Ok, maybe they are the best, but has anyone ever gotten sick
eating one?" And the King's smiling mask moves slowly side to side.
"Ok", says the customer, "but what would you do if someone did get
sick?" And then the King starts to dance and with his arms
outstretched introduces the Geico cavemen.

Tommy Joe

On Mar 9, 4:10 am, "Tommy Joe" wrote:
[...]

Wow Tommy that was an UNUSUALLY boring post, much more boring than
even your usual drone, more boring than even my own incredibly boring
****, in fact it was SO boring that my eyes so totally glazed over
just from looking at it that I fell into a deep hypnotic state and
dreamed I was being arrested at Winchells Donuts for lewd bakery ...
but then Tommy you pulled an amazing hat-trick and magically saved it
all when you innocently used the word "facial" in the 1st sentence of
the 2nd paragraph giving me the benefit of a huge instant
unintentional boner, thanks dude.

-Bozoner-

Bozo wrote:

Wow Tommy that was an UNUSUALLY boring post, much more boring than
even your usual drone, more boring than even my own incredibly boring
****, in fact it was SO boring that my eyes so totally glazed over
just from looking at it that I fell into a deep hypnotic state and
dreamed I was being arrested at Winchells Donuts for lewd bakery ...
but then Tommy you pulled an amazing hat-trick and magically saved it
all when you innocently used the word "facial" in the 1st sentence of
the 2nd paragraph giving me the benefit of a huge instant
unintentional boner, thanks dude.

I know my post was boring, as is generally the case when I'm
actually trying to make a point. I'm not a huge fan of commercials.
I don't sit around watching and comparing them. I also never thought
the geicko caveman commercials were funny, although I was mildly
intrigued by the hook, and did in fact spend some time analyzing it
even before it appeared in this thread. My post was not written in a
very enjoyable or interesting way, but I still say the King from the
Burger King commercials and the cavemen from the geicko commercials
are operating on the same premise, being out of their element. The BK
commercials with the King are creepy, no doubt, but I could see a
series of very short films - (1 to 2 minutes per film) - using the
King as the star in all sorts of situations. I like that he doesn't
talk. They've got those cavemen talking too much. It reminds me of
those horrible outerspace tv shows where the makeup is so heavy and
unmanageable that the character's lips can't even move. And people go
for that ****. It's incredible. I just read from someone else in
this thread some crap about making a pilot using the cavemen from the
geicko commercials. I think that would get old really fast. But what
do I know? I remember the first time I saw Starsky and Hutch I said,
"This piece of **** won't last a two months", but it enjoyed immense
popularity. I'm the last guy to ask what's going to make it or not in
the world of entertainment. Then again, I'm not really interested in
what makes it or doesn't make it.

Tommy Joe

posted to alt.comedy.standup,alt.sailing.asa,alt.punk

As the world's only Saber Tooth Cave Lamb I find their depiction of
cave dwellers quite demeaning.

But I did save a ton of money by switching to Geico...

Richard