posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Yacht Racing

wrote
Saying that a spec of stated displacement was an indicator that the
boat in question is a "displacement hull."

Duh! And what's wrong with saying that. Every hull that floats displaces enough
water to float it. It would sink if it didn't. So every hull that floats is a displacement
hull. If somebody says no it's not a displacement hull! It's a planing hull. That's wrong.
It's a displacement hull that's going so fast it's planing. If you have a submarine it
has a hull. When it's floating on top of the water it's a displacement hull. When it's
under water it's a displacement hull weighted down enough to sink it. The same's
true for a open60. When it's planing it's a displacement hull planing. Just like the
submarine's a displacement hull sinking. Both of them never stop being a displacement
hull. So you think something that weighs tons can just all of a sudden stop weighing
anything because it's skimming along the top of the water?
Did you ever skip flat rocks across the water. The rock will skip so you could
say it's a planing rock. But it will sink when it stops so it's not a displacement rock.
As long as a hull planing doesn't sink when it stops it's a displacement hull.
Now you tell me what's wrong with me saying if a displacement is listed it's a
displacement hull? If it displaces so many tons of water it's floating and displacing.
That's a displacement hull. You lose Mister-Know-It-All.

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:37:18 -0500, Jeff wrote:

wrote:
True. In fact, the above statement is one of the most convincing that
"Ellen" is really the Crapton.

Jeff wrote:
which statement?

Saying that a spec of stated displacement was an indicator that the
boat in question is a "displacement hull."

-signed- Injun Ear (formerly known as Eagle Eye)

That was an ignorant comment, and admittedly not unlike many Neal has
proposed, but its a bit too simplistic to be very "convincing."

Frankly, I'm not sure why anyone is concerned whether Ellen is a neal
puppet. She's not as offensive as Neal was, so if this is his new
persona, its a step up.

The clincher for me was the fact Ellen seems to have access/control to
add and remove things from the good Crapton's website.
Mark E. Williams
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Maynard G. Krebbs" wrote in
message ...

The clincher for me was the fact Ellen seems to have

access/control to
add and remove things from the good Crapton's website.
Mark E. Williams

Anybody can hack into that low tech site.

Nelly

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote:
Duh! And what's wrong with saying that.

2 things.

It is incorrect.
It shows ignorance of sailing terminology.

Every hull that floats displaces enough
water to float it. It would sink if it didn't.

Depends on how you define "floats." Is a boat not "floating" when it's
planing? It is not sinking, and it is not displacing water.

If somebody says no it's not a displacement hull! It's a planing hull. That's wrong.

Only if you are ignorant of commonly accepted nautical terms.

It's a displacement hull that's going so fast it's planing.

Here's a good way to tell if it's the Crapton.... OK "Ellen" let's
play your game, please define the terms "planing" and "hull speed."

Both of them never stop being a displacement
hull.

A hull that is delibarately designed to benefit by planing is not a
"displacement hull" in correct terminology. That's why there are
different words.

Now you tell me what's wrong with me saying if a displacement is listed it's a
displacement hull?

Because intelligent sailors want to know the mass of the boat & it's
potential load of stores. That figure is traditionally listed as
"displacement" just as the width of the hull is traditionally termed
the "beam."

-signed- Injun Ear (formerly known as Eagle Eye)

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Jeff wrote:
Frankly, I'm not sure why anyone is concerned whether Ellen is a neal
puppet.

Good point, I don't really care myself. Some people have made a big
deal of saying it is the Crapton, others that it isn't; still others
seem to mourn the absence of the Crapton so if "Ellen" is Neal then
the Crapton is still here.

She's not as offensive as Neal was, so if this is his new
persona, its a step up.

Agreed, but it probably only reflects his diminishing testosterone
levels.

-signed- Injun Ear (formerly known as Eagle Eye)

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
ups.com...
Jeff wrote:
Frankly, I'm not sure why anyone is concerned whether Ellen is a neal
puppet.

Good point, I don't really care myself. Some people have made a big
deal of saying it is the Crapton, others that it isn't; still others
seem to mourn the absence of the Crapton so if "Ellen" is Neal then
the Crapton is still here.

She's not as offensive as Neal was, so if this is his new
persona, its a step up.

Agreed, but it probably only reflects his diminishing testosterone
levels.

-signed- Injun Ear (formerly known as Eagle Eye)

Hahaahaha.... too much! Thanks!

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com