posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Hey Joe, no wonder the dude had to be resuced.

He was sailing one of those heavy steel boats with flimsy masts that broke off.

http://www.kensolo.com/TheBoat.htm

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Ellen MacArthur wrote:
He was sailing one of those heavy steel boats with flimsy masts that broke off.

I saw an aft picture of her dis-masted. Looks like it has some sort of
stainless aft mast stay, tubular thing a ma jig hanging in the water.
And in the pictures on his web-site I noticed no stay between the main
and mizzen mast tops. The hull looks fine in the rescue photos, but
indeed his rigging was not up to the task. If he rolled I would guess
he was a prepared below as he was on decks causing loss of power. I
also would question Robert Perry supporting the decision to alter the
hull,and then the amount of ballast replaced.

But not being aboard and dealing with a storm we can not make a true
assessment as to way he ended up needed to be rescued. I wish him luck,
hope he gets his boat back, repairs it, and finishes what he started.

Joe

dumb try, dude JAXAshby ASA 2 March 14th 04 05:06 PM
Here you go, dude, sq rt w/pencil & paper JAXAshby ASA 10 March 14th 04 03:47 PM