Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Charts- care & feeding

Spent much of the weekend sorting my charts... had a lot more than I
thought. Some go back to the 1960s & '70s and have courses & fixes &
notes from ancient voyages (one has 'Beware! Here Be Ye Edge O' Ye
Worlde'). Old charts are cool but not very useful.

Normally I roll up my charts, keeping them grouped by area, and store
them in large diameter tubes w/ caps. Every couple months, I used to
re-roll them the other way so they would take too much of a "set." Well
of course this system worked great when applied rigorously, but as
years go by things get disorganized & you slack up... some of the
charts were like a coiled piece of spring steel and took 4 heavy books
on each corner to hold open... no way you could use that for
navigation.

How do you all keep your charts? How old a chart would you consider
using when visiting a relatively unfmiliar... or completely
unfamiliar... area?

-signed- Injun Ear (formerly known as Eagle Eye)