Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Westsail 32 - opinions

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
I'm interested in opinions on Westsail 32's in general. The one I'm
considering
is factory finished with the dinette layout. It has been constantly
maintained
and upgraded since new, so condition is not a big worry. This is not a
bargin
priced derelict. Of course I'll have a survey done if things progress that
far.

This one was made without teak decks, which to me, is a major plus. Low
hours on
the Yanmar. I'm more interested in hearing about how the boat sails and
what it
is like to spend long periods aboard. I already like the looks and the
size,
although I've also considered some larger boats. The boat would be used
initially for frequent daysails (often single handed) long weekends, and
cruises
of a week or two at most. In a few years, we'd be on the boat for six or
more
months at a time. Once we transition to the longer term situation, we
might even
consider leaving it somewhere nice like the Med, and flying to the boat.
I've
long admired these boats, but I've never spent more than an afternoon on
one.

"Wetsnail" 32s are seriously overbuilt, which can be a distinct advantage
when the going gets rough. You may recall the one that survived "The
Perfect Storm" despite being abandoned.

A friend had one for years, and while I used to blow him a lot of crap about
it, it really was a boat of some merit. In light air it could be terribly
frustrating. Under 10kts. it generally sailed along at 3kts. or so and just
didn't seem to 'free up.' It was not particularly weatherly in such winds,
leading one to use the diesel to weather in anything under 15kts.

However when the wind blew (15kts. and above) it came into its element. We
often beat longer, faster boats, such as C&C 34s and 36s to weather, and on
beam or close reaches. Downwind she doesn't make that sort of speed, but
she wasn't particularly slow either. We once sailed her on a beam reach for
about 12 straight hours of 20+ kts.--made a bit better than 80nm, and in
complete comfort.

Just before he sold the boat and bought a trawler we installed a couple of
thru-hulls. That hull near the point where the bottom fairs into the keel
is amazingly thick--about 1.5"+ solid lay-up. And the interior was
gorgeous--eye candy--if somewhat diminutive in dimensions. But the boat was
most comfortable, either under sail or at the dock. She always drew
comments from passers-by.

As a daysailer, I'd certainly want something lighter, faster, and less
substantial. For weeklong trips I'd probably find the W32 acceptable,
provided I was in no hurry. The reason for that statement is that Lake
Michigan, where we sail, generally find a way to give us light air from the
wrong direction whenever we take a week or two cruise. Under diesel--a 24hp
Universal in my friend's case--she makes 5.5kts without straining. On the
Atlantic Coast, where you reside, it might be a suitable short-cruise
vessel. For long-distance cruising, I think the boat is almost without peer
in its size range. It's a boat I'd cross an ocean in without giving a
second thought to the integrity of the hull and deck lay-ups.

Before buying the boat you're looking at, I'd ask to spend a few hours below
deck, especially on a hot day. It can seem very small below, especially for
more than just a couple. For a solo sailor, or a not-overly-large couple,
the boat is perfect.

Good luck,

Max

Westsail 32 - opinions Maxprop Cruising 26 December 5th 06 01:11 PM
Westsail 32 - opinions katy Cruising 1 December 4th 06 12:10 AM
Westsail 32 - opinions katy ASA 1 December 4th 06 12:10 AM
Westsail 32 - opinions Capt. Rob Cruising 0 December 3rd 06 09:22 PM
Westsail 32 - opinions Capt. Rob ASA 0 December 3rd 06 09:22 PM