posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default problems with gaff rigs?

Jon,

My major objection, after weight aloft is maintenance. Jon, In all my
years of sailing, I can't remember a Gaff rig without Gaff boom Jaws,
which means a greased main and a absence of a sail track which means
sail hoops on the Luff of the sail, which also increases the chance of
jamming, which also increases the need for a slippery mast, which is a
PITA.

In its defence though, on a cruising
rig the sail shape is closer to the shape of the Max. area of the effort
of the sail.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Yes, I see what you mean. I was just curious, since the gaff rig is a lot
like a huge roach.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Jon,

My major objection, after weight aloft is maintenance. Jon, In all my
years of sailing, I can't remember a Gaff rig without Gaff boom Jaws,
which means a greased main and a absence of a sail track which means
sail hoops on the Luff of the sail, which also increases the chance of
jamming, which also increases the need for a slippery mast, which is a
PITA.

In its defence though, on a cruising
rig the sail shape is closer to the shape of the Max. area of the effort
of the sail.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. JG wrote:
Yes, I see what you mean. I was just curious, since the gaff rig is a lot
like a huge roach.

You can smoke it?
posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Capt. JG wrote:
Yes, I see what you mean. I was just curious, since the gaff rig is a
lot like a huge roach.

katysails wrote:
You can smoke it?

heh my first thought was... time to put on those pointy-toed
cowboy boots!

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Jon,

That Roach,as you say, is also a problem on a beam reach or a run. It
puts the center of effort pretty far outboard of the hull. This produces
a lot of weather helm which created those big "Barn Door" rudders. This
also created the bow sprit and Jib to reduce the tendency to :Round Up
and created the Friendship Sloop. A thing of Beauty to these Ole eyes of
mine. I can't think of a prettier sight than a Friendship Sloop,
carrying a Top sail, scudding across the water.

Ah, memories of an Old Man.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Thom Stewart wrote:
Jon,

My major objection, after weight aloft is maintenance. Jon, In all my
years of sailing, I can't remember a Gaff rig without Gaff boom Jaws,

..... which shows that, despite your years of sailing experience, it's
relatively narrowly based. Otherwise you'd know about saddles -
basically a leathered metal section that closely fits the mast off of
which the gaff pivots. Quite a neat arrangement.

which means a greased main and a absence of a sail track which means
sail hoops on the Luff of the sail, which also increases the chance of
jamming, which also increases the need for a slippery mast, which is a
PITA.

Also untrue. You can lace the sail to the mast. The absence of
sailtrack also means the absence of track jams when trying to lower the
sail.

In its defence though, on a cruising
rig the sail shape is closer to the shape of the Max. area of the effort
of the sail.

There's an excellent book on all things related to the gaff rig by John
Leather IIRC. Called 'The Gaff Rig Handbook' I think.

PDW

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Thanks Peter... I'll check it out... I have a friend who is really
interested in this sort of setup.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Peter" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thom Stewart wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. JG wrote:
Thanks Peter... I'll check it out... I have a friend who is really
interested in this sort of setup.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Peter" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thom Stewart wrote:
[...]

Jon, I think it's fair to say that the gaff rig isn't going to point as
high as a marconi rig. Nobody really disputes that, tho the difference
might depend on a lot of other factors than the rig itself. OTOH you
get to set a lot of sail on relatively short sticks which makes staying
a lot easier & stronger, reducing the cost of the rig itself.

As a racing rig for round the buoys, its day has gone. As a cruising
rig - got a lot going for it still.

PDW

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Thom Stewart wrote:
Jon,

My major objection, after weight aloft is maintenance. Jon, In all my
years of sailing, I can't remember a Gaff rig without Gaff boom Jaws,
which means a greased main and a absence of a sail track which means
sail hoops on the Luff of the sail, which also increases the chance of
jamming, which also increases the need for a slippery mast, which is a
PITA.

OK Thom...a lot depends where the halyards are led, particularly the
throat halyard. If it's in column, the jaws simply become steadiers and
the gaff, which is hoisted parallel to the water, should hardly touch
the mast on the way up. The most pressure against the mast comes when
the throat halyard is at full hoist, and the peak halyard is peaking
the sail. When under way, there's no pressure of the jaws against the
mast, properly set up.

I do have leathered gaff jaws, also a tumbler to ride against the mast,
which it doesn't, making it totally redundant. There's no point in
greasing the mast: it's not needed and all it does is collect sand, grit
and grot.

Also: most gaff rigs have far too many hoops or rope parrels on the
luff of the sail. usually, only two or three are necessary until you
get into the ship size, and they're only needed for sail control in
hoisting and lowering, not for shaping the sail.

Weather helm was rarely an issue on Flying Tadpole: one used the weather
helm to help lift the boat bodily to windward, bat that was a deep
rudder. Lady Kate, with a tiny rudder, is set up as a cat yawl: most of
the advantages of a catboat, few of the disadvantages. And after Flying
Tadpole II's four sails, a mere two are child's play.

--

Flying Tadpole
----------------------------------

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 17:25:57 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

So, what are the downsides to gaff rigs? I know about weight aloft and
possible handling issues with the gaff, but anything else?

Unless you're planning to drop a trawl and run down wind to catch
shrimp, what possible need would you have for it?

Frank

E-Tec problems ksmith1 General 5 November 11th 06 06:39 AM
E-Tec problems ksmith1 General 0 November 11th 06 12:04 AM
e-tec problems thunder General 15 November 2nd 06 01:07 AM
E-Tec problems series 2 K. Smith General 50 June 25th 06 09:00 PM
4-stroke Yamaha engine problems (major) mijoy General 13 August 5th 04 12:52 AM