posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default problems with gaff rigs?

So, what are the downsides to gaff rigs? I know about weight aloft and
possible handling issues with the gaff, but anything else?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. JG wrote:
So, what are the downsides to gaff rigs? I know about weight aloft and
possible handling issues with the gaff, but anything else?

Betcha getting whacked with that giant boom hirts a lot more than a
regular one....
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
So, what are the downsides to gaff rigs? I know about weight aloft and
possible handling issues with the gaff, but anything else?

Go for it, Jon. I think a gaff rig would look great on a Sabre 30. In
fact, why not consider turning the boat into a schooner with four or five
headsails . . . :-)

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Maxprop wrote:
"Capt. JG" wrote in message
So, what are the downsides to gaff rigs? I know about weight aloft and
possible handling issues with the gaff, but anything else?

Go for it, Jon. I think a gaff rig would look great on a Sabre 30. In
fact, why not consider turning the boat into a schooner with four or five
headsails . . . :-)

Max

Hey, two of us managed a clubbed jib and a main staysail, but then we
cheated.

--

Flying Tadpole
----------------------------------
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. JG wrote:
So, what are the downsides to gaff rigs? I know about weight aloft and
possible handling issues with the gaff, but anything else?

The main downside, poorer pointing, is also a function of the main
upside, which is lower center of effort and greater ease of holding the
boat up under a press of canvas.

A secondary downside is controlling twist. If the twist really upsets
you, the paraphernalia of downhauls and vangs needed to reduce it to
modern desires, you might as well go for a modern rig.

There is no point however in imitating the lightly sparred racing
gaffers of long ago: their rigs were every bit as prone to
disintegration as a modern highly-strung (!) bermuda racing rig. THe
virtues come in cruising, on heavier boats (yes, Flying Tadpole II was a
quite intentional aberration, and she was terrible to windward in any
sort of a seaway). (Lady Kate's gaff by the way is almost identical to
Flying Tadpole II's mainmast).

--

Flying Tadpole
----------------------------------

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Capt. JG wrote:
So, what are the downsides to gaff rigs? I know about weight aloft and
possible handling issues with the gaff, but anything else?

Of course! There's always "something else!"

Flying Tadpole wrote:
The main downside, poorer pointing, is also a function of the main
upside, which is lower center of effort and greater ease of holding the
boat up under a press of canvas.

Yep... performance not so good to windward, GREAT off the wind.

A secondary downside is controlling twist. If the twist really upsets
you, the paraphernalia of downhauls and vangs needed to reduce it to
modern desires, you might as well go for a modern rig.

You can vang a schooner's foresail pretty well, but I've
never seen a gaff vang run to the aft quarters that was
worth a durn. It does help bend the gaff for flattening,
though... just make sure your crew doesn't confuse it for
the running backs!

There is no point however in imitating the lightly sparred racing
gaffers of long ago: their rigs were every bit as prone to
disintegration as a modern highly-strung (!) bermuda racing rig.

Rather more so, I would think.
But let's mention in passing that the gaff-rigged maxi
racers of yore would shock many sailors with their speed off
the wind, several were clocked in the high teens and rumors
abounded of 20 knot runs.

..... THe
virtues come in cruising, on heavier boats (yes, Flying Tadpole II was a
quite intentional aberration, and she was terrible to windward in any
sort of a seaway). (Lady Kate's gaff by the way is almost identical to
Flying Tadpole II's mainmast).

Aerodynamically speaking?

The added weight of the gaff at the top of the sail can be
advantage, the sail definitely comes down when you want it
to. It also can be shortend down very quickly and easiy,
much faster than a marconi can be reefed (of course, it's
sort of an emergency measure and you do have to straighten
it up later). Just cast off the peak halyard and let the
upper half of the sail drop into the lee of the lower
half... "scandalizing" it's called.

Another advantage, often proclaimed by my grandfather as the
reason why he just couldn't get any enjoyment out of racing
marconi-rigged boats, is that between the peak & throat
halyards you have a very fine adjustment for sail shape.

Disadvantage... extra rope & pulleys flopping about on the mast.

Gaff rigs are cool. I keep toying with the idea of getting a
gaffer instead of a modern boat.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..

Gaff rigs are cool. I keep toying with the idea of getting

gaff

for your tugboat?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

katy wrote:

Capt. JG wrote:

So, what are the downsides to gaff rigs? I know about weight aloft and
possible handling issues with the gaff, but anything else?

Heavy spar that needs to be hoisted - this implies more complicated
rigging for the halyard(s) instead of the simple no-mechanical-advantage
systems on a marconi rig. More stuff to go wrong when hoisting or
lowering the sail. Not a showstopper by any means, but there's elegance
in simplicity.

Betcha getting whacked with that giant boom hirts a lot more than a
regular one....

If you get whacked hard enough, it's painless.

//Walt
posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Gaff rigs are cool. I keep toying with the idea of getting
a gaff

Scotty wrote:
for your tugboat?

No, like this
http://www.shrimperowners.org/Home/i...wake718_fs.jpg

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Scotty wrote:
"DSK" wrote in message
. ..

Gaff rigs are cool. I keep toying with the idea of getting

gaff

for your tugboat?

It's already gaff rigged...I saw it...

E-Tec problems ksmith1 General 5 November 11th 06 06:39 AM
E-Tec problems ksmith1 General 0 November 11th 06 12:04 AM
e-tec problems thunder General 15 November 2nd 06 01:07 AM
E-Tec problems series 2 K. Smith General 50 June 25th 06 09:00 PM
4-stroke Yamaha engine problems (major) mijoy General 13 August 5th 04 12:52 AM