posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default How Jeff feels about his Yacht....a repost

Jeff wrote:

Its just a lot of plastic.

I'm really sorry you feel that way about her. I hope she gets a better
owner and soon. The PDQ 36 is "someone's" work of art, carefully
designed and built by human beings who were envisioning something
beyond practical endeavors. It's really and truly awful for you to say
"it's just a lot of plastic." Everyone I know loves their boats and are

proud of them...and the choice they made.

She (Jeff's daughter) turned down every
offer and said she'd rather have the family sailing together.

Probably she has a deeper appreciation for the vessel than you do and
would never call it "just a lot of plastic." Seriously, Jeff, that's
just an awful thing to say.

Obviously. You like to brag about your possessions. What else do you

have?

I brag about the ones that gets a rise out of the fools of ASA, even
VHF radios....and they take the bait every time! But I'm NOT proud of
my VHF, Jeff....though I do appreciate the science and effort to design

it.

Yes, a lot of work went into
picking the right boat for us, but that's personal satisfaction,
nothing to brag about.

Really, Jeff? You've never bragged about your boats speed, comfort,
value or even it's ventilation???? That must have been another Jeff
with a PDQ 36!
Dude, like I said: Get over yourself.

I have no idea how you really feel about anything.

Actually, Jeff....I think you do, but you also enjoy these little
battles as a diversion, so off we go.

Bragging
about possessions is just a way of covering up your emptiness.

Or just a dumb troll for dumber people to nip at. I am proud of my
boat, Jeff. I'm not proud of my Subaru, Kia or home theatre.
I'm proud of Sailing.ASA...which I also clearly OWN.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. Rob wrote:
Jeff wrote:

Its just a lot of plastic.

I'm really sorry you feel that way about her. I hope she gets a better
owner and soon. The PDQ 36 is "someone's" work of art, carefully
designed and built by human beings who were envisioning something
beyond practical endeavors. It's really and truly awful for you to say
"it's just a lot of plastic." Everyone I know loves their boats and are
proud of them...and the choice they made.

You just don't get it. I can appreciate the work that went into
designing and building my boat. But I didn't do it. I just wrote a
check, and that's nothing to brag about.

I have lots of possessions that I enjoy. But I don't brag about them.
I love my antique sextant, but I'm not "proud" of it, nor would I
brag about it. After all, anyone who thought it was worth a few
hundred of their dollars could buy one. I am proud of the fact that I
know how to use it and have actually found my location with it, (not
very well, I admit).

I just don't understand how someone can be "proud" of spending their
daddy's money.

She (Jeff's daughter) turned down every
offer and said she'd rather have the family sailing together.

Probably she has a deeper appreciation for the vessel than you do and
would never call it "just a lot of plastic." Seriously, Jeff, that's
just an awful thing to say.

Why? I'm sure the builders of my boat would be quite disappointed if
they thought it sat in the slip, its only purpose for me to brag about
it. If that's all it does, its just a piece of plastic. That fact
that it taken us 10000 miles or so, and been our home for extended
periods, that's something to take pride in.

Remember, I watched my boat being built. I was there when it was
popped out of the mold. I fully appreciate the work that went into
it, I even know the people who did the work. But why would I brag
about the work other people did?

We did a small part of the design, and I am proud of that. As it
turned out, our boat was the model for their last major marketing
drawing (the photos were the hull before ours), so I get some extra
pleasure whenever I see that. But that fact that we spec'd a few
extra handholds, shelves, and steps and some other details is nothing
to brag about.

The last time I saw the factory folks they asked me about a sistership
that I had helped sell. When I told them that it had been cruised for
two years, but was now in storage while the owner worked on several
guidebooks, they were rather disappointed. But they felt better when
I said the owner was planning to head out again in a year.

Builders are proud when their boats are used, not when they're sold
just so that someone can brag about it. Buying a Racer/Cruiser to
neither race nor cruise, but just to reach back and forth a few times
would not do them proud.

Obviously. You like to brag about your possessions. What else do you

have?

I brag about the ones that gets a rise out of the fools of ASA, even
VHF radios....and they take the bait every time! But I'm NOT proud of
my VHF, Jeff....though I do appreciate the science and effort to design
it.

You don't get a "rise" out of anyone. They're all laughing at you.

Yes, a lot of work went into
picking the right boat for us, but that's personal satisfaction,
nothing to brag about.

Really, Jeff? You've never bragged about your boats speed, comfort,
value or even it's ventilation???? That must have been another Jeff
with a PDQ 36!

You'll notice I never compared my boat to any other than yours. Face
it Booby, my boat is bigger than yours, faster than yours, more
comfortable than yours.

Dude, like I said: Get over yourself.

You're the one dripping with jealousy.

Bragging
about possessions is just a way of covering up your emptiness.

Or just a dumb troll for dumber people to nip at. I am proud of my
boat, Jeff. I'm not proud of my Subaru, Kia or home theatre.
I'm proud of Sailing.ASA...which I also clearly OWN.

Yes, just like the streaker who thinks he owns Yankee Stadium, when in
reality 50,000 people are laughing at his tiny wienee.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I get the impression that owning ( by marriage ) this
Bendytoe is Boob****'s greatest accomplishment in his life.

So sad, isn't it?

SBV

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
Capt. Rob wrote:
Jeff wrote:

Its just a lot of plastic.

I'm really sorry you feel that way about her. I hope she

gets a better
owner and soon. The PDQ 36 is "someone's" work of art,

carefully
designed and built by human beings who were envisioning

something

posted to alt.sailing.asa

You just don't get it.

No, Jeff and I've never heard anyone EVER say their boat was "just a
lot of plastic." I'm sorry, but that's just horrible and no attempts to
rewrite will make it any better.

I can appreciate the work that went into
designing and building my boat.

It's just a lot of plastic. Your words.

check, and that's nothing to brag about.

Another sad and terribly limiting point of view. Did you work for that
money? Did you work to find the right boat? Having a yacht is an
accomplishment. I worked to have the money to own mine. Maybe someone
just gave you the money and told you which boat would be best for you.
Then I could see not being proud of owning your own yacht. Perhaps
you're one of the many folks who have no idea how some people struggle
every day just to keep a roof over their heads.

I have lots of possessions that I enjoy. But I don't brag about
them.

You just did.

I love my antique sextant, but I'm not "proud" of it, nor would I
brag about it.

It depends on how much trouble it was to find, to buy and restore. You
might be proud of it and that would be fine.

After all, anyone who thought it was worth a few
hundred of their dollars could buy one.

If they had a few hundred dollars to spare. If they could appreciate
such a thing. If they knew how to buy one to begin with.

I am proud of the fact that I
know how to use it and have actually found my location with it, (not
very well, I admit).

That's good. Mine is plastic, but I can use it....poorly.

I just don't understand how someone can be "proud" of spending their

daddy's money.

I had no idea you were spending your dad's money. I thought, like me,
you had a job. Actually, Jeff, I have TWO jobs to support my sailing.

Why?

Because a boat, a sailboat especially is so much more than a "lot of
plastic", Jeff. It's so much more.

its only purpose for me to brag about
it. If that's all it does, its just a piece of plastic.

Who said anything like that? My boat and the sailboats owned by my
friends give a lot of joy.

That fact
that it taken us 10000 miles or so, and been our home for extended
periods, that's something to take pride in.

If long voyages are what's important to you, then you SHOULD take pride
in it.

But why would I brag
about the work other people did?

Well, for most people like myself (perhaps not you), we WORK for the
money. We work even harder to find the boat that suits us and our
family situation best. Since I actually have a work ethic, I believe a
person should be proud of their work and what it brings them. Clearly
you don't feel the same way and that's simply and purely sad.

We did a small part of the design, and I am proud of that.

Cool! Which part?

But that fact that we spec'd a few
extra handholds, shelves, and steps and some other details is nothing
to brag about.

Why not?

Builders are proud when their boats are used, not when they're sold
just so that someone can brag about it.

I don't know anyone who doesn't use their boats, Jeff. Not only do we
love and use ours every week, but we also invite every friend and
family member aboard. There's nothing more rewarding than watching
someone fall in love with sailing.

Buying a Racer/Cruiser to
neither race nor cruise, but just to reach back and forth a few times
would not do them proud.

Nonsense. We use our boat for family sailing and local cruising. Our
son LOVES it. Only a total creep would question the application of OUR
boat. No one here sails as often as we do. I sailed this morning. Did
you? I'll sail tomorrow & Sunday. Will you?
Jeff, we all know your sort. If a fellow isn't sailing the way you
sail, then it must be wrong. I never make fun of how a person sails, so
long as they get out there and do it. My friend's Tayana can cruise the
world. He likes to sail locally and take his kids out. That makes him
happy and the boat is a hit. Just because I own a car that does 155
doesn't mean it's wasted if I don't drive it that fast.
You'll never get what sailing is all about Jeff. Not ever. You think
it's about cruising. You think it's about racing. You seek to define
the specific usage of a boat and grade it. But that's not what sailing
is all about, Jeff. In fact, that's the kind of thinking that sailing
allows us to escape.

you don't get a "rise" out of anyone. They're all laughing at you.

Really? Then that's even better, since it's never "me" they're laughing
at, Jeff. You don't get THAT either.

You'll notice I never compared my boat to any other than yours.
Face
it Booby, my boat is bigger than yours, faster than yours, more
comfortable than yours.

It's twice the size and half the fun, as just about any cat or monohull
owner knows.

You're the one dripping with jealousy.

Over what? Did you buy a fun boat recently? Thomas loves it when the
35s5 is sliding along, heeled over, water racing past. What would he do
on a PDQ 36? I'll put more clearly for you by quoting a certain famous
cup racer:

"When I sail a cruising cat, it's all about getting to where we're
going. Aboard a monohull, it's just about sailing and no one even cares
if there's a destination at all."

True that.

Yes, just like the streaker who thinks he owns Yankee Stadium, when
in
reality 50,000 people are laughing at his tiny wienee.

And he has a great time, a thrill of his making and want and he's man
enough to not care about who might be laughing because he can't hear it
over his own.

Jeff, you sound like a man who is embittered by advancing years. I'd
like to take you for a sail....though it might be too short.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com..
..

I can appreciate the work that went into
designing and building my boat.

It's just a lot of plastic. Your words.

That's good. Mine is plastic, but I can use it....poorly.

Maybe your new 'black' sails will divert attention from this
fact.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Mine is a big piece of lifeless plastic. I'm not proud of it either.

I do enjoy the things I do with it because all it is is an extension of
myself. It is simply a tool.

It doesn't matter how hard I worked for it or if someone gave it to me.
That's not what it is about.

Having a yacht is no accomplishment. Neither is merely existing an
accomplishment.

If you think that boat of yours is a measure of you, you are sadly pathetic.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Gilligan" wrote in message
. ..

I do enjoy the things I do with it because all it is is an extension of
myself. It is simply a tool.

And, of course, the choice of a particular tool does suggest a great deal
about a person.

It doesn't matter how hard I worked for it or if someone gave it to me.
That's not what it is about.

Having a yacht is no accomplishment. Neither is merely existing an
accomplishment.

If you think that boat of yours is a measure of you, you are sadly
pathetic.

I believe it is a measure, small "m". However, the Measure of a man/woman is
not found in things but his character.

Character is what you are in the dark... Dwight Moody.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Mine is a big piece of lifeless plastic. I'm not proud of it either.

Everyone can see why. Shame would be more fitting.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...

Mine is a big piece of lifeless plastic. I'm not proud of it either.

Everyone can see why. Shame would be more fitting.

Why don't you tell us why.

How can I take pride in something I bought?

Especially when there is so much I've conceived, designed and built myself.
Unlike you.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. Rob wrote:
You just don't get it.

No, Jeff and I've never heard anyone EVER say their boat was "just a
lot of plastic." I'm sorry, but that's just horrible and no attempts to
rewrite will make it any better.

Such nonsense. What a jackass you are. Bragging about possessions,
imbuing with some magic life, such that they are something to be proud
of just by their existence.

So where do you rate your boat on the "pride scale"? Just a hair
below your kid? It sounds like it would be a tough decision for you.

You such a baby, booby. Grow up.

I can appreciate the work that went into
designing and building my boat.

It's just a lot of plastic. Your words.

Sorry, booby. Grownups place special value on family, on friends, on
community, on living. Not on possessions.

Grow up.

check, and that's nothing to brag about.

Another sad and terribly limiting point of view. Did you work for that
money? Did you work to find the right boat? Having a yacht is an
accomplishment.

No big deal - it was a decision.

I worked to have the money to own mine. Maybe someone
just gave you the money and told you which boat would be best for you.

This is nonsense. No grownup runs down the street yelling "Look at
me! I know how to buy a car! I can buy a boat!" That's what you've
been doing here.

Then I could see not being proud of owning your own yacht. Perhaps
you're one of the many folks who have no idea how some people struggle
every day just to keep a roof over their heads.

So now your saying I should brag about my boat because it shows that
I'm better than poor people??? You're really sick, Booby. Get help,
fast.

I had no idea you were spending your dad's money. I thought, like me,
you had a job. Actually, Jeff, I have TWO jobs to support my sailing.

Nope. I never got a penny from family. Every cent was earned the old
fashion way. Hard work and pure dumb luck.

Why?

Because a boat, a sailboat especially is so much more than a "lot of
plastic", Jeff. It's so much more.

Not until you use it. Just sitting there, its lifeless plastic.

its only purpose for me to brag about
it. If that's all it does, its just a piece of plastic.

Who said anything like that? My boat and the sailboats owned by my
friends give a lot of joy.

You're the only one who brags about owning the boat. Everyone I know
is proud of what they do with it.

That fact
that it taken us 10000 miles or so, and been our home for extended
periods, that's something to take pride in.

If long voyages are what's important to you, then you SHOULD take pride
in it.

But why would I brag
about the work other people did?

Well, for most people like myself (perhaps not you), we WORK for the
money. We work even harder to find the boat that suits us and our
family situation best. Since I actually have a work ethic, I believe a
person should be proud of their work and what it brings them. Clearly
you don't feel the same way and that's simply and purely sad.

But you're claiming that you're entitled to be proud of other people's
work, because you paid for it. SO now you're claiming you can buy
pride??? You;re sick, booby. Get help!

But that fact that we spec'd a few
extra handholds, shelves, and steps and some other details is nothing
to brag about.

Why not?

Because its pretty stupid to brag about small things. It's kind of
like bragging about what camera or tv you have. No one cares.

Builders are proud when their boats are used, not when they're sold
just so that someone can brag about it.

I don't know anyone who doesn't use their boats, Jeff. Not only do we
love and use ours every week, but we also invite every friend and
family member aboard. There's nothing more rewarding than watching
someone fall in love with sailing.

But you've been claiming you should brag about the mere ownership of
it, while I've been saying that until its used, its just plastic. Now
you're claiming something very different.

Buying a Racer/Cruiser to
neither race nor cruise, but just to reach back and forth a few times
would not do them proud.

Nonsense. We use our boat for family sailing and local cruising.

Cruising? Tell us about your great cruises.

Our
son LOVES it. Only a total creep would question the application of OUR
boat. No one here sails as often as we do. I sailed this morning. Did
you? I'll sail tomorrow & Sunday. Will you?

So now you're agreeing with me, its how you use the boat that's important.

Jeff, we all know your sort. If a fellow isn't sailing the way you
sail, then it must be wrong. I never make fun of how a
person sails, so long as they get out there and do it.

snip holier than thou bull**** which no one is buying

Show a single post I've made in the years Ive posted here where I've
made fun of anyone's sailing or boat except yours. Its hard to find a
post of your where you're not either bragging about how your
possessions are better than anyone's or where you're not denigrating
someone or their boat.

you don't get a "rise" out of anyone. They're all laughing at you.

Really? Then that's even better, since it's never "me" they're laughing
at, Jeff. You don't get THAT either.

Now you're just being delusional.

Yacht charter Croatia [email protected] Cruising 1 February 23rd 14 02:32 PM
Deep Blue Yacht Supply, Inc. unveils online storefront [email protected] Cruising 5 June 6th 06 04:48 AM
HELP! Stain on seats!! SARAH General 12 June 5th 06 07:13 PM
Yacht Charter Vancouver - Five Star Yacht Charters Todd Zuccolo Cruising 0 April 17th 05 11:58 AM
Update on Marina Damage -- FL Coasts anchorlt Cruising 0 September 24th 04 08:03 PM