Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Sail Update-Heart of Gold

This morning we got the main set up, long soft battens in and then got
the sail about 95% up while I swapped out the outhaul control lines,
then.....set out to see how the main would fare. It was not blowing
much...just under 7-10 knots at the most and raining off an on as we
sailed.
What a revelation. I know sails are important but WOW!!!! The boat
sailed fast and every puff of air seemed to translate into an instant
increase of speed...as though the kevlar sail was a solid object. The
boat went upwind better and the sail is gorgeous to look at. The main
also seems to weigh half of what the old sails did.

When I got home the Pentax-Mylar genoa was waiting for me. I couldn't
believe how little it weighed compared to the much heavier yet smaller
mylar 110. I was told this sail rated an 8-9 for condition, but it
seems to be in at least the same 9+ condition as the mainsail. Sadly
it's now blowing something fierce outside, so I'm not about to do a
sailchange until it's a bit nicer.

I will post pics when both sails are flying....probably tomorrow or
Sunday!

Very happy with these sails!!!!!

RB
35s5
NY

Heart of Gold Joe ASA 2 March 8th 06 01:23 AM
FAFNISMOL - The Ballad of Fafnir Bertie the Bunyip ASA 0 September 19th 03 02:46 PM