posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default WIND

Talking about wind speed with a fellow sailor last week and
why one needs an anemometer . His comment, ''there's two
wind speeds, (1) not enough, and (2). too much''. If it's
windy, you'll feel it.

On Tuesday I hit a lull, no wind for about two hours.
However, I didn't motor back to a slip like some glorified
daysailor. I drifted for a while, had lunch, read, fished,
eventually, as usual, the wind picked up and I sailed on.
..

On Saturday, with 15-20 kts, on a broad reach I was doing
6 - 6.6 kts, 7.5 kts surfing down the waves, however my VMG
was only 4.2, according to GPS. So, I changed my destination
and suddenly my VMG was 6.3 kts. Whoo hoo!!!

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Saturday, with 15-20 kts, on a broad reach I was doing
6 - 6.6 kts, 7.5 kts surfing down the waves,

That's some slow boat. We did 7.5 knots sustained yesterday after
popping the genny. Our VMG by GPS to Execution rocks on a broad reach
was 7 knots.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Oct 16, 8:57 am, "Scotty" wrote:
Talking about wind speed with a fellow sailor last week and
why one needs an anemometer .

Ours was dead for awhile, almost left it that way. Barb calls it the
"scare-o-meter". Best not to know what it's blowing sometimes... ;0)
M & B
www.sailinglinks.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"cruisin" wrote
| Ours was dead for awhile, almost left it that way. Barb calls it the
| "scare-o-meter". Best not to know what it's blowing sometimes... ;0)

When the wind goes "wuuoouuooo" past the mast and rigging it's time to reef.
When the wind goes "weeuueeuuu" it's time to anchor. When the wind goes
"rrrrrrroarrrrrroarrrrrrrrroarrrrroarrrrrrr" it's time to say your prayers.....
If you have ears you know when it's blowing. You don't need an instrument to do
it for you. I think somebody should make a beaufort wind scale for sound. It'd be
just as good as sea state and better for sheltered water.

Cheers,
Ellen
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in
message
reenews.ne
t...

"cruisin" wrote
| Ours was dead for awhile, almost left it that way. Barb

calls it the
| "scare-o-meter". Best not to know what it's blowing

sometimes... ;0)

When the wind goes "wuuoouuooo" past the mast and

rigging it's time to reef.
When the wind goes "weeuueeuuu" it's time to anchor. When

the wind goes
"rrrrrrroarrrrrroarrrrrrrrroarrrrroarrrrrrr" it's time to

say your prayers.....
If you have ears you know when it's blowing. You

don't need an instrument to do
it for you. I think somebody should make a beaufort wind

scale for sound. It'd be
just as good as sea state and better for sheltered water.

It always *sounds* windier in the marina with all the masts
and rigging whistling.

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"cruisin" wrote in message
ups.com...

On Oct 16, 8:57 am, "Scotty"

wrote:
Talking about wind speed with a fellow sailor last week

and
why one needs an anemometer .

Ours was dead for awhile, almost left it that way. Barb

calls it the
"scare-o-meter". Best not to know what it's blowing

sometimes... ;0)
M & B
www.sailinglinks.com

Somebody commented that wind speed is good for Internet
bragging, but then it's always 25% higher than reality.
BTW, I just checked the buoy report, it was blowing 18 - 20
, with gusts to 26 mph, on Sunday. I * knew* it was
''windy'' !

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Oct 17, 1:44 am, "Scotty" wrote:
"cruisin" wrote in oglegroups.com...

On Oct 16, 8:57 am, "Scotty"

wrote:
Talking about wind speed with a fellow sailor last week

and
why one needs an anemometer .

Ours was dead for awhile, almost left it that way. Barb

calls it the
"scare-o-meter". Best not to know what it's blowing

sometimes... ;0)
M & B
www.sailinglinks.comSomebody commented that wind speed is good for Internet

bragging, but then it's always 25% higher than reality.
BTW, I just checked the buoy report, it was blowing 18 - 20
, with gusts to 26 mph, on Sunday. I * knew* it was
''windy'' !

Scotty

Yeah, but what was it blowing on the beerfort scale? Beers falling
over, or chipped teeth?