posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Happy camper with iron keel

I would have had it shot peened and put in a chemical bath first.

"Dave" wrote in message
One of the few things I don't like about the CS is its iron keel. Last
spring I bit the bullet and took the whole thing down to bare metal, put
on
a coat of the Interlux primer wash and put on multiple coats of
Interprotect
2000E. Just looked at it after hauling. You'd have to look pretty close to
even realize it's an iron keel. Dunno how long it will last, but for now
I'm
a happy camper.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

"Dave" wrote in message
One of the few things I don't like about the CS is its iron keel. Last
spring I bit the bullet and took the whole thing down to bare metal, put
on
a coat of the Interlux primer wash and put on multiple coats of
Interprotect
2000E. Just looked at it after hauling. You'd have to look pretty close to
even realize it's an iron keel. Dunno how long it will last, but for now
I'm
a happy camper.

There is a really cool shaped Iron keel here, back in the 40's someone
threw it among the rip rap along the shore, still in usable shape, if
you could get the huge rocks off it. Have you ever seen a cast iron
skillet that had rusted thru?

joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

I would have had it shot peened and put in a chemical bath first.

Dave wrote:
Followed by heavy plating with gold, not doubt.

Sure. Gold makes excellent ballast. Plate it on there nice &
thick! Might have good anti-foul properties too.

When you're dealing with a 27 year old boat calculations are a bit
different.

If you got a buddy who works the night shift at a plating
plant, it might not cost all that much.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"DSK" wrote
| Sure. Gold makes excellent ballast. Plate it on there nice &
| thick! Might have good anti-foul properties too.

Mel Fisher is a treasure hunter and he found lots of sunken treasure in Florida. Lots of
gold and gold coins from Spanish galleons. It gets covered with marine growth and coral.
Nothing but poison keeps off the barnacles and sponges for long.

Cheers,
Ellen
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Dave wrote:
Followed by heavy plating with gold, not doubt.

Sure. Gold makes excellent ballast.

Sure does, I cubic foot of gold weighs over 2000 LBS.

While in the USCG my brothers ship WHEC 720 USCGC Sherman they rescued
a guy who's sailboat sunk with his lifes savings in gold coins in a
bilge safe. Somewhere off WA State in deep water. Was only like 200K
making it not cost worthy to salvage.

Plate it on there nice &
thick! Might have good anti-foul properties too.

Might, not sure..I've seen some pretty encrusted gold coins that were
recovered.

When you're dealing with a 27 year old boat calculations are a bit
different.

If you got a buddy who works the night shift at a plating
plant, it might not cost all that much.

Wonder what it would cost to build a plating tank to plate steel
bottoms?
Bet it's been done.

Joe

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Joe wrote:
Might, not sure..I've seen some pretty encrusted gold coins that were
recovered.

Of course, but how long had they been there?

Wonder what it would cost to build a plating tank to plate steel
bottoms?
Bet it's been done.

I bet so too. You could make a plating tank out of a couple
layers of fiberglass over the hull, use it for a mold. Then
drop it a couple of inches... that way it would not take a
huge amount of electrolyte, either.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Joe wrote:
Might, not sure..I've seen some pretty encrusted gold coins that were
recovered.

Of course, but how long had they been there?

Wonder what it would cost to build a plating tank to plate steel
bottoms?
Bet it's been done.

I bet so too. You could make a plating tank out of a couple
layers of fiberglass over the hull, use it for a mold. Then
drop it a couple of inches... that way it would not take a
huge amount of electrolyte, either.

Brilliant.

Can you picture a new class of Gold Plated Stamped Steel Racers
....called the Bling class?

Joe

Joe

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com..
..
Have you ever seen a cast iron
skillet that had rusted thru?

Yes, I have.

SV

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Scotty wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com..
.
Have you ever seen a cast iron
skillet that had rusted thru?

Yes, I have.

SV

I have, too. What makes you think one wouldn't if left unattended?

Happy camper with iron keel Joe ASA 29 October 18th 06 05:07 PM
OT, Happy Camper ed General 9 October 17th 05 05:14 PM
what type of keel bolt should you in wood boat and iron keel Don Boat Building 5 October 2nd 05 08:57 PM
Cast Iron Swing Keel Mike Propst General 0 August 23rd 05 02:17 AM
Happy Camper Labs Announce Partnership With Snapettes Snapettes Mom General 0 October 20th 03 04:27 PM