posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Heart of Gold clip to windward

Sorry, Bob, you may think the racers and designers

So let's get this straight, Jeff. We're sailing upwind, but certainly
not beating. Our knotmeter is showing over seven knots nudging near 8
at times. We have a mark set on the GPS about a mile off and we're on a
starboard tack (again, for example). Now, the mark is about 10 degrees
off our starboard bow. GPS is reporting our VMG fluctuating between 5.6
and 6.1 knots as we close on the mark. Water is quite flat and the boat
is nicely in the groove, giving up very little. The fellow at the helm
has about 8 times more sailing experience than you. I asked what our
VMG was and he said about 6 knots. He was VERY impressed with the
35s5's windward performance. But he's not the only one. So is about
every review on the boat. She easily beats her polars. A French review
called her "the triumphant 35s5" and noted that they were also climbing
upwind with a VMG of over 5 and 1/2 knots. Heart of Gold's original
name was "Windward First" as her abilities to weather are well
established. Read the owner reviews if you like.
I don't know what to tell you, dude. You're obviously upset. I said we
made 6 knots and 8....hardly crazy numbers. I've seen monohuls do it
before and will again. Making 8 knots at 45 is hardly impossible, so 6
of VMG is also there. The problem is that you simply don't know what
upwind means. You "think" it means only beating and that's just not the
case.
Go take some pills, old man. You need 'em!

BWAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHA!!!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. Rob wrote:
Sorry, Bob, you may think the racers and designers

So let's get this straight, Jeff. We're sailing upwind, but certainly
not beating. Our knotmeter is showing over seven knots nudging near 8
at times. We have a mark set on the GPS about a mile off and we're on a
starboard tack (again, for example). Now, the mark is about 10 degrees
off our starboard bow.

In other words, its not to windward.

GPS is reporting our VMG fluctuating between 5.6
and 6.1 knots as we close on the mark.

Since the mark is not to windward, this is not your "VMG to Windward,"
or as you said in the OP "to windward at just over 6 knots VMG." You
claimed it was VMG to Windward, and now you're claiming its the VMG to
a mark 10 degrees off the bow. You really don't know the difference,
do you?

Water is quite flat and the boat
is nicely in the groove, giving up very little. The fellow at the helm
has about 8 times more sailing experience than you.

You mean he has 400 years of sailing experience??? I'm impressed! But
what does this have to do with your obvious ignorance? Don't blame
him because you didn't understand what was happening.

I asked what our
VMG was and he said about 6 knots.

That may have been the VMG to that mark, but you can't pick an
arbitrary point and then use that for you VMG to Windward. You could
have just as easily picked a point dead ahead and claimed a VMG of 7
to 8 knots, but that isn't the VMG to Windward, now would it?
Remember, your GPS doesn't know where the wind is, so it can't tell
you the VMG to Windward unless you give a mark directly upwind.

He was VERY impressed with the
35s5's windward performance. But he's not the only one. So is about
every review on the boat.

yada yada yada. You're still an idiot. Whenever you've lost an
argument you try to claim you won because someone else is impressed
with your boat. What a jackass!

She easily beats her polars.

Right. Just like she easily beats her PHRF. Unless of course, you're
explaining that the reason she's beat by other boats is the tough PHRF
rating she got.

Yes, sometimes boats beat their polars by a tad. Usually its because
of new hi-tech sails, a smooth bottom, a quality crew, and some luck.
But you're claiming you beat the polars by a huge margin, with old
sails, and you weren't even trying to go upwind.

A French review
called her "the triumphant 35s5" and noted that they were also climbing
upwind with a VMG of over 5 and 1/2 knots.

And this is why you think you can easily to 6 knots with old sails?
Maybe you should be giving lessons to the French.

Heart of Gold's original
name was "Windward First" as her abilities to weather are well
established. Read the owner reviews if you like.
I don't know what to tell you, dude. You're obviously upset.

I'm not upset. You're just stupid.

I said we
made 6 knots and 8....hardly crazy numbers.

But here you just admitted it wasn't upwind, its was just the VMG to a
mark up ahead. You just don't seem to get what "to Windward" really
means.

I've seen monohuls do it
before and will again.

sure, but not yours.

Making 8 knots at 45 is hardly impossible, so 6
of VMG is also there.

Holy Bat****! You mean those French reviewers don't know how to sail
the boat??? You just said they were impressed that they got 5.5! But
you seem to have no problem doing better than that. You weren't even
trying to go upwind. At yet, magically, you outperformed your polars
and the reviewers. With old sails, not less.

And BTW, 8 knots at 45 is only a VMG of 5.6 knots. And that's not
including leeway, which drops it to 5.3.

The problem is that you simply don't know what
upwind means. You "think" it means only beating and that's just not the
case.

Bob, you've just admitted over and over that you don't know what
you're talking about. Why don't you have your friend, if he really
exists, explain it to you? He can go real slow, and include pictures.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote:

Sorry, Bob, you may think the racers and designers ???

So let's get this straight, Jeff. We're sailing upwind, but certainly
not beating. Our knotmeter is showing over seven knots nudging near 8
at times. We have a mark set on the GPS about a mile off and we're on a
starboard tack (again, for example). Now, the mark is about 10 degrees
off our starboard bow. GPS is reporting our VMG fluctuating between 5.6
and 6.1 knots as we close on the mark.

Finally you admit that you used the term "VMG to windward" incorrectly,
thank you.

Cheers
Marty

Heart of Gold Sailing Capt. Rob ASA 9 October 4th 06 02:51 AM
Heart of Gold runs aground...and worse! Capt. Rob ASA 16 September 4th 06 09:25 PM
Heart of Gold Website-Updates Capt. Rob ASA 17 August 22nd 06 12:31 AM
Heart of Gold Sailing Capt. Rob ASA 7 August 8th 06 11:36 PM
Heart of Gold and the Genset Capt. Rob ASA 18 August 6th 06 12:30 PM