posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default suggestions for a stove?

Jim,

A Coleman stove using Coleman fuel is a PITA to say the least. The
largest part of that PITA is ignition. That preheating in a small arena,
such as a small boat's cabin in DANGEROUS!!! Secondly, a unsecured lit
stove on a heeling boat is DANGEROUS!!!. Thirdly; a Coleman in it's
sheet metal, folding container is more than twice the size it should be
for a boat's cabin and a PITA!!! When not in use it has to be stored. On
a small boat like Scout's, with a inboard Diesel engine; storage space
is at a premium. A Colemen is a PITA!!! Jim, also the fuel storage is a
PITA, as is Alcohol but a PITA as well!!!

After saying all that people still use them on board boats but it's one
of the thing that list high on the "PITA LIST!"

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/IDONTFEELGOOD

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Propane is safe if you take the proper precautions.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"katy" wrote in message
Jim K. wrote:
katy wrote:

I think you're a trifle naive about all of this. 1. PITA is pain in
the arse

Excuse me but I do not know EVERY single internet anocronym - and I
already saw the response - why repeat it?

Because posts don't instantaneously appear in order...I didn't read Doug's
reply until after I had answered yours...not used to USENET yet huh?

2. cooking with a Coleman stove (and I am very familiar with
them from years of camping) on a boat is a recipe for disaster

I am new to this - sorry I didn't mention that, but the one guy
mentioned using a propane stove - how can that be okay but a coleman
stove is not?

I don't think propane stoves are safe. We have one on our boat. We made
it inoperable.

3. Unless
you're going to spend a predominant amount or time (and I thought you
mentioned locations like Baltimore, etc) in southern Florida, you are
going to need some kind of heating system, whether it be electric on the
dock or Orrigo alcohol.

I live in Philadelphia - believe - you do not need any heating in the
Summertime. I won't be in one place and never move - I'll be moving all
the time.

Nights in the south do get cold...and out on
the water it is not just cold but cold and wet..much more bone chilling.
So if you're planning to do business in the mid-Atlantic states, how
does traveling back and forth between the south of Florida and that
work?

Can't believe you don't know that answere - move south as it gets cold

As far as personal transportation goes, a folding bike would be
best in your situation. You will have to rely on public transportation,
where there is that feature. Otherwise, you woll be stuck. You will
need at least a 30 foot boat for your adventure. You're talking about a
lot of stuff...camera equipment, etc and will need storage space.

Most fits into my photo backpack - that's not a lot of room.

You
will also need to make provisions that none of your equipment is
affected by hunidity and salt.

True.

From my personal experience, people who
set up goals like yours do well living aboard, but they very rarely
sail. Might as well get a houseboat...you could still go south, have
more room, be on the water. And if you wanted to sail, get a sailing
dinghy to pull behind.

I wouls sail for one reason - to shhot up and down the East Coast and
to attend Art Festivals up and down the coast.

You're going to "shoot" up and down the coast in a vessel that at best
will go 7 knots? Why don't you just learn to sail first and live in a
mobile camper thingie...then you can see if it will work or not....living
aboard can be fun...or it can be the worst nightmare you've ever had...get
experience with boats first and then make your decisions. And grow some
callous.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. JG wrote:
Propane is safe if you take the proper precautions.

All you need to do is forget just once to turn off that valve....
posted to alt.sailing.asa

The same goes with all other fuels. Forget one thing and you'll regret it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"katy" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
Propane is safe if you take the proper precautions.

All you need to do is forget just once to turn off that valve....

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I'd rather be lucky than good. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

OzOne wrote in message ...
On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 18:52:55 -0400, katy
scribbled thusly:

Capt. JG wrote:
Propane is safe if you take the proper precautions.

All you need to do is forget just once to turn off that valve....

And have a leak in the system!

I've installed scores of LPG systems in boats....not one has exploded
yet.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Jim K." wrote in message
ups.com...

Scout wrote:

I pressure washed her bottom and topsides tonight; a good bit of the Gulf
growth; also some barnacles on the prop and shaft, which scraped off easy
enough. Spending some time figuring out the elec and plumbing systems
too.
Looks like she'll sleep 2 real comfortably, but not more than 2 (and
maybe
an adolescent).

Just joined the group - hello all.

Welcome Jim!

So, how big is your boat? I'm taking the "plunge" and will be buying my
first boat over the course of the next 12 months. Sleeping 2 is nice,
but do you have a dining space which doubles as an entertainment area?
You know, small couch so you can chill to some music or watch a DVD? Or
amn I totally clueless?

I'm not looking to live aboard.
I just want to be able to sail and then rest comfortably at night.
The boat is only 26' long. It's not a palace but it will do.
There's really no room to entertain, just to eat, sleep, poop, and sail.

Cold will be here soon; gotta get a winterizing task list together.
Then I can figure out that mast raising system.
But for now, the Eagles are beating GB!

An Eagles fan, huh? Alright. Are you here in Philly or somewhere else?

Yup!
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa

katy wrote:

Because posts don't instantaneously appear in order...I didn't read
Doug's reply until after I had answered yours...not used to USENET yet huh?

Unfortunately, way too familiar with usenet - and the evil trolls that
occupy it.

I don't think propane stoves are safe. We have one on our boat. We
made it inoperable.

I would think so too but not familiar with the sailing world so thought
I'd offer another solution - I now understand that I was wrong and
propane and gas stoves are not a good idea. What do you use then?

You're going to "shoot" up and down the coast in a vessel that at best
will go 7 knots?

What's the rush? Are you an uneasy person who always feels the need to
move - you got a shaky leg? And I already did the math - 1182 miles
from Philly to Fort Lauderdale at 7 knots is ~ 170 hrs - that's 7 days
of 24 hr sailing - which isn't possible - that's 14 days of sailing 12
hrs a day - which I doubt think would be enjoyable if it is possible to
sail solo for that many hrs a day - or 28 days of sailing 6 hrs a day
which I'm sure is doable. And since the whole idea is to "shoot"
(that's a photographer's term for taking a picture - you don't need to
put in quotation marks) everywhere to get marketable shots - what's the
problem with taking my time and slowly making my way along the coast.

Soooooooo - 28 days - that's 4 weeks - stop every few days to
photograph local parks, bays, wildlife, etc. If you ask me - that's the
way to do it - take your time - so with occsaional stops to photograph
- let's turn that into 56 days - less than 2 months could always start
a cruise up to Philly or - further north - in late may - start my
return inearly September - and if it's a little cold in late May or
Early Sept - suck it up - I've camped in weather as cold as 24 degrees
and it wasn't a challenge.

Why don't you just learn to sail first

Already working on it - my goal is to make this happen in 4 years -
earlier if possible - but that will give me enough time to learn to
sail (Phila Sailing Club), save money for the boat, and to establish my
photo biz.

then you can see if it will work or
not....living aboard can be fun...

I'll make it work and nothing will stop me - I'm not the only person
who wants to live aboard - I'm not the only freelance photographer in
the world. And why do you alternate between saying something nice and
something not nice. Haven't you learned that you should write how you
would speak in person? With manners and respect?

you've ever had...get experience with boats first and then make your
decisions.

Come on - who would be stupid enough to live aboard in a sail boat
without learning to sail first? Like I said - at least 4 years from now
- and if it takes 10 years - so be it.

And grow some callous.

Aren't you the little sweetie! And BTW - that doesn't make any sense -
do you mean callusses? I forsee that we won't become friends unless you
change - too bad - never understand why some people prefer to attack
rather than saying, "Hello, welcome aboard"?

Jim

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Thom Stewart wrote:
Jim,

A Coleman stove using Coleman fuel is a PITA to say the least.

wooooooo - relax - what a PITA - I admit I'm wrong - I'm not familar
with the situation and only mentioned it because another guy mentioned
a propane stove - easy Tarzan! Why are you so mad? It's not me who hurt
you. Relax - relax - relax.

Do you understand - relax - just have the common sense to post a msg
that a coleman stove is not a good idea - don't get all upset and feel
the need to use "PITA" in such a ridiculous manner. What's wrong with
you? Did you're wife leave you? No one limkes you? Esteem issues?
Whatever it is - it's not my fault.

Jim

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Scout wrote:

Welcome Jim!

Wow - thank you for that! Big time - really - thanks!

I'm not looking to live aboard.
I just want to be able to sail and then rest comfortably at night.
The boat is only 26' long. It's not a palace but it will do.

That's all I would want - maybe a little bigger.

There's really no room to entertain, just to eat, sleep, poop, and sail.

That's enough for me - hang out on top and wander the coastline
photograhing.

...eagles fan?

Yup!

cool - It's so important we beat Dallas this week - especially since we
habded the win to the giants.

Tlak to you later.
Jim

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Jim K. wrote:
katy wrote:

[...]

Your assumptions are wrong. Most of the regulars here have sailed for a
very long time and have various amounts of vast experience...myself
included. Within that experience, we meet many people who express the
desire to do what you want to do before knowing the basics. Like
anything else, it is always better to start at the beginning and then
see where it goes. Naivety and romanticism get people into trouble. And
like I stated in a previous post, I do believe that people need to be
their brother's keepers in respect to issuing the proper caveats when
needed. And your nice/not nice question? Always look at the pros and
cons of situations. Right now you are all entranced with the pros. You
haven't factored in the independent variables that could make your life
something less than ideal. Also, anyone who has met me here in the
group, and there are many, will tell you that I talk like this in
reality. I am not a person that shilly-sahllies around issues or is
afraid to express an opinion.

princess stove 1986 bayliner 2550 Dave General 6 July 23rd 18 01:23 AM
wood stove questions dh@. Touring 23 July 24th 05 07:31 AM
Princess Stove help Adrienne General 2 October 22nd 03 03:48 PM
Question about installing Diesel Heater MLapla4120 Cruising 11 October 22nd 03 05:27 AM
Best Type of Stove Eric Maschke General 7 August 4th 03 07:45 PM