posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Default Force 5 stove report

Thom Stewart wrote:
The biscuits though, Ah yes! 12 minutes of toaster oven time were more
than worth it. I'd run the engine to help the batteries for the inverter
draw.

Heck yeah! Fresh hot bisquits are awesome, nothing to warm
you up faster on a chilly day. Plus the oven warms the
inside of the boat, and the smell is heavenly.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

... learned to make beer bread in a pressure cooker,

Bart wrote:
How? sounds good!

It's actually pretty easy. My recipe is easy to remember:

Three

That means 3 cups of flour (self-rising), 3 tablespoons of
sugar, slightly less than 1 beer. Mix up in a big bowl and
knead well. The official recipe doesn't call for it, but I
add a teaspoon of salt which improves the crust. Normally,
you'd bake it in a greased bread pan, but to make it in a
pressure cooker you have to have the perforated insert for
the bottom of the pot.

When the dough is thoroughly kneaded and you can feel it
start to rise with your hands, it will still be rather
sticky. Roll it into a ball, and sprinkle more flour over it
to take away the sticky-ness. Roll & sprinkle some more
until it is no longer sticking to the bowl. Now grease the
sides of the pot, and put a circle of tin foil over the
insert. Put the ball of dough down in the pot and mash it a
little, you want about 3 fingers width clear all the way
around so the bread can expand. Now put it on the stoveon
low, seal the lid, and wait about an hour to 1 1/4 hours. If
you want the crust to brown, open the pot sooner & paint a
little butter on it- cook another 20 minutes.

Time to cook & heat may vary, the best way to tell if it's
done is to stab a skewer into the middle and see if it is
sticky inside.

The bread should pop out, then you roll it upside down and
peel off the tinfoil. Slice to desired thickness... it is
usually a bit crumbly so it doesn't make good sandwiches.

People were amazed when we produced what appeared to be
fresh-baked bread on the Hunter 19.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I would think so, but I haven't checked.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
I have a two-burner low pressure alcohol system (no oven).

I'm thinking
about converting it to CNG. a propane conversion isn't

recommended by Sabre,
apparently. I think it has to do with the difficulty of

installation.

Most likely. You can mount a CNG tank anywhere. Mine is
under the starboard settee, next to the stove. . You do need
a small vent to the outside. Is there tank exchange places
near you?

SBV

posted to alt.sailing.asa

You can put alcohol out with water.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...

Capt. JG wrote:
I have a two-burner low pressure alcohol system (no oven). I'm thinking
about converting it to CNG. a propane conversion isn't recommended by
Sabre,
apparently. I think it has to do with the difficulty of installation.

You can even mount your tank outside. Alcohol is more dangerious IMO.

Joe

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well we had the force 5 in the galley for about 6-8 mo. now.

What a fuel saver, the gas will last about 3 times as long as with
other stoves like Attwoods ect..
Has no pilot light to waste fuel.

Easy to clean, solid HD stainless steel.

Nothing but positive things to say about the stove.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Capt. JG wrote:
You can put alcohol out with water.

Thats good, cuz when your covered with flames you an not see the best
thing to do is jump in the water.

Joe

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well we had the force 5 in the galley for about 6-8 mo. now.

What a fuel saver, the gas will last about 3 times as long as with
other stoves like Attwoods ect..
Has no pilot light to waste fuel.

Easy to clean, solid HD stainless steel.

Nothing but positive things to say about the stove.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Joe wrote:
Thats good, cuz when your covered with flames you an not see the best
thing to do is jump in the water.

IMHO alcohol is a perfectly OK fuel, a bit expensive per BTU
but handy and makes the cabin smell nice.

I bet Joe is thinking of those old-time pump-up alcohol
stoves that had to be primed with kerosene and used a
pressurized vapor at the burner. Those things were funky
although I wouldn't call them really dangerous. Maybe Joe's
had some leaks or else rusted-thru burner throats.

Hey Joe, those things are dinosaurs... do you know anything
about any technology that is more recent that say 1875?

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Joe wrote:
Thats good, cuz when your covered with flames you an not see the best
thing to do is jump in the water.

IMHO alcohol is a perfectly OK fuel, a bit expensive per BTU
but handy and makes the cabin smell nice.

I bet Joe is thinking of those old-time pump-up alcohol
stoves that had to be primed with kerosene and used a
pressurized vapor at the burner. Those things were funky
although I wouldn't call them really dangerous. Maybe Joe's
had some leaks or else rusted-thru burner throats.

Hey Joe, those things are dinosaurs... do you know anything
about any technology that is more recent that say 1875?

DSK

No don't know anything about them, cept some lady on the other side of
the lake caught on fire and got burned up pretty bad, don't remember
all the details but not seeing herself on fire was a big factor, she
jumped in the lake to put it out.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..

Joe wrote:
Thats good, cuz when your covered with flames you an not

see the best
thing to do is jump in the water.

IMHO alcohol is a perfectly OK fuel, a bit expensive per

BTU
but handy and makes the cabin smell nice.

You burning Brandy? When I had a non-pressurized alcohol
stove, I hated the smell.

SBV

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe,

I had a two burner "Origo" and loved it. I've heard some bad reports
about them. I've no proof of them but it did force to take special
cautions.

The worst I heard ,was a woman went to fill a canister that went dry and
tried to fill it to finish cooking. It flashed she dropped the gallon
container of Alcohol, which flashed and started a fire on the floor and
cut off her ability to get to the extinguisher. Made a mess of the cabin
and burnt she pretty bad.

Like I say, don't know if true but made me get two extra canisters and
always transload alcohol from gallon jug to a pint plastic bottle to
refuel any canister. Always a cold canister.

I loved those Alky instant light canisters.

I also had a Origo Cabin heater but discovered it was a LOT cheaper to
run the Diesel Aux. & Red Dot heater.

17 plus years and never a problem.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/IDONTFEELGOOD

Riding the Tide Scott Vernon ASA 171 October 24th 04 05:29 AM
Bwahaha! Bye Bye Bushy! Bobsprit ASA 1 June 18th 04 10:37 PM
REQ: Crack for Maxsea V10 patrice Tall Ships 1 August 2nd 03 01:53 AM