posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Capt. J.G. is wrong about using anchors.

Capt. JG said "You need to get past the anchor thing. It's not going to help you much."

You've been nothing but snooty to me today. What's wrong? Get up on the wrong side of the bed? :-)
But, I forgive you. No, not for your silly statement about the *anchor thing*. BTW it's called *kedging*.
So you're wrong about using anchors for kedging off docks and so forth.
Maybe you should click this link: http://www.nsc.ca/nsc_library/techta...te_kedging.htm
As you can see captain, it's a time honored tradition. How do you think they got boats off docks before
motors were invented? Did they wait until the wind was right? Maybe you should Google "kedging". You'll
see how it's valuable to know about it.
Anchors aren't just for anchoring.

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in message
reenews.net...
Capt. JG said "You need to get past the anchor thing. It's not going
to help you much."

You've been nothing but snooty to me today. What's wrong? Get up on
the wrong side of the bed? :-)
But, I forgive you. No, not for your silly statement about the *anchor
thing*. BTW it's called *kedging*.
So you're wrong about using anchors for kedging off docks and so forth.
Maybe you should click this link:
http://www.nsc.ca/nsc_library/techta...te_kedging.htm
As you can see captain, it's a time honored tradition. How do you
think they got boats off docks before
motors were invented? Did they wait until the wind was right? Maybe you
should Google "kedging". You'll
see how it's valuable to know about it.
Anchors aren't just for anchoring.

Refrain from any attempt to enlighten an idiot. It's like trying to teach a
pig to sing.... you'll never suceed and it just frustrates the pig.

CM-

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Mooron is an expert when it comes to teaching pigs. He's quite angry, and I
think pigs respond to that.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"silverback" wrote in message

[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

You feel compelled to call anyone you don't like a fag or worse. You
contribute nothing to this group any more. You're just a pathetic little
man, who can't get past his anger. Very sad. We should all feel sorry for
you... I do.

--

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Who gives a sh*t. Kedging is used by those who know when to use it and when
not to use it. You don't need to kedge off a dock to get going 99.999% of
the time.

Nothing in the link provided describes kedging so you can sail away from a
dock.

If you want to discuss running aground and how to deal with that, feel free,
but to use your anchor to leave a dock is not something that should be
considered without a lot of forethought. I suppose you're going to swing it
over your head and then throw it like the hammer throw in the Olympics? What
a joke.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote
| Nothing in the link provided describes kedging so you can sail away from a
| dock.

I guess you never read the part that says "The Manual of Seamanship for Boys and Seamen of the
Royal Navy, 1904 (a recent fathers day gift) defines kedging as follows: “Laying the kedge anchor out
in a boat and warping ahead to it”.
Are you saying you can't kedge off a dock? Are you saying I can't row an anchor out from a dock and
warp ahead to it? Duh! Do you know how silly you sound? I hope your just trying to joke around. A dry
sense of humor perhaps? Quick get the captain a fire hose. Wet him down.

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

You clearly can't read. I have already said several times that it's possible
to do that, but it is hardly ever necessary. I think you're really trying
hard to be stupid, because no one could do it as well as you so naturally.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Capt. JG" wrote
| Nothing in the link provided describes kedging so you can sail away from
| dock.

I guess you never read the part that says "The Manual of Seamanship
for Boys and Seamen of the
Royal Navy, 1904 (a recent fathers day gift) defines kedging as follows:
“Laying the kedge anchor out
in a boat and warping ahead to it”.
Are you saying you can't kedge off a dock? Are you saying I can't row
an anchor out from a dock and
warp ahead to it? Duh! Do you know how silly you sound? I hope your just
trying to joke around. A dry
sense of humor perhaps? Quick get the captain a fire hose. Wet him down.

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

While you may not use it often or ever, using an anchor
to get off a dock is one way to distinguish the breath of
knowledge of a sailor. As CM stated, you don't need an
engine to get off a dock. If you have an engine and it fails,
you still have the option of using an anchor to get off a dock.
That is seamanship.

Capt. JG wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I never said otherwise. I could also kedge off a building or piling if that
made sense. It rarely does in the situation you described. You didn't say
what is the one option you want to hear. You ask an open-ended question
about how one should do it. I answered, and I answered correctly. Sure, you
can use an anchor. You can also use another boat, a building, a piling, or
if you're Jesus, you could walk on water while towing the line and boat with
you. The later ways are not common nor usually necessary. Knowing the best
technique and attempting to apply it is a lot more sailorly than trying to
do something without thinking it through. How do you plan on kedging if
you're alone at the dock? None of the people who have touting this anchoring
technique have yet to say. I'm still waiting.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

ps.com...

It's Wrong!!! Capt. Rob ASA 12 January 11th 06 06:25 PM
Crantz wrong again....! Capt. Rob ASA 11 December 6th 05 09:10 AM
A final refoinder to the situation... katysails ASA 334 March 30th 05 12:32 AM
Anchors and Ground Tackle winder General 0 December 28th 04 11:09 AM
Para anchors dont work in breaking waves Michael Cruising 30 August 8th 04 04:06 AM