posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Ground Effect Sailboat

Could it work?
http://www.schoellmarine.com/images/index/1b.jpg

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

A ground effect sailboat would probably be as fast as an ice boat since it
isn't in the water.

The problems I see are heeling and generating lift to get out of the water.

Perhaps a combination of hydrofoils and wing would do the trick. The
hydrofoils would allow great sped for the wing to lift.

Add a lifting wing to this:

http://www.sailingbreezes.com/Sailin...redefining.htm

I think it would be beneficial to have the lifting wing at the top of the
mast for more stability during flight.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Gilligan wrote:
A ground effect sailboat would probably be as fast as an ice boat since it
isn't in the water.

The problems I see are heeling and generating lift to get out of the water.

Perhaps a combination of hydrofoils and wing would do the trick. The
hydrofoils would allow great sped for the wing to lift.

Add a lifting wing to this:

http://www.sailingbreezes.com/Sailin...redefining.htm

I think it would be beneficial to have the lifting wing at the top of the
mast for more stability during flight.

I was thinking more like a moth, but making the hiking wings a reverse
delta config like seen here
: http://www.se-technology.com/wig/htm...?code=0&id=198.

The ideal is to have no contact with the water, and the reverse delta
surface effect wings could be made from light fabric. A tripod shape
like the Rave would be ideal. The first picture in this thread is a
reverse delta plywood surface effect boat flying. Not sure but it looks
like it may being towed.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
x x is offline

It could work but not as a sailboat. It needs a motor.

Lateral forces exerted by sails would put it in the water.

"Joe" wrote