posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default best beginners book overall

Looking for a little advise on what I could read to get a good overall
knowledge of sailing. I plan on taking a power squadron class but would
like to know more than nothing before I get there. In fact I know I
don't know anything so that is something...right?

Any advise would be great.
thanks,
Scott

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"RogueIT" wrote in message
ps.com...
Looking for a little advise on what I could read to get a good overall
knowledge of sailing. I plan on taking a power squadron class but would
like to know more than nothing before I get there. In fact I know I
don't know anything so that is something...right?

Any advise would be great.
thanks,
Scott

Capt Neal's web pages for novices is an excellent start. The scholarly work
of this world famous Master Mariner can be found he

http://www.homestead.com/captneal/lesson.html

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Gilligan" wrote in message news |
| "RogueIT" wrote in message
| ps.com...
| Looking for a little advise on what I could read to get a good overall
| knowledge of sailing. I plan on taking a power squadron class but would
| like to know more than nothing before I get there. In fact I know I
| don't know anything so that is something...right?
|
| Any advise would be great.
| thanks,
| Scott
|

| Capt Neal's web pages for novices is an excellent start. The scholarly work
| of this world famous Master Mariner can be found he
|
| http://www.homestead.com/captneal/lesson.html

What a hoot. So much good info and not at all dry. The guy does a good job teaching
while keeping one's interest. The guestbook is also funny. I followed the links back to
Capt. Neal's home page and read the guestbook there, too. Do you suppose the Haight
woman is the 'Katy' who posts here from time to time? Nah, couldn't be. Our Katy is
almost illiterate or a **** poor typist.

Paladin

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

RogueIT wrote:
Looking for a little advise on what I could read to get a good overall
knowledge of sailing. I plan on taking a power squadron class but would
like to know more than nothing before I get there. In fact I know I
don't know anything so that is something...right?

Any advise would be great.
thanks,
Scott

I'd suggest a couple of things, starting at the closest
public library. Gee, do they even have those any more? Read
every book on sailing... well, that will take a long time.
Pick a few with cool pictures, look at the pictures, read
the captions. That's a good start.

Here's a start you can make without leaving the computer,
which appeals to a lot of people these days:

http://www.sailingcourse.com/homepagehtml.htm

http://www.huntington.edu/education/...g/sailing.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...w_to_sail.html

If you happen to be in Boston, this is a great opportunity:
http://sailing.mit.edu/LearntoSail/

There are local community sailing programs at a lot of
places around the country, they can be somewhat hard to find
though. Very much worth looking for. And you can can often
get a chance to sail by hanging around marinas & sailing
clubs, chatting with people, making friends, and letting it
be known that you'd like to crew.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

DSK wrote:
RogueIT wrote:

[...]

I've recently been teaching using the book "Start Sailing Right", a
joint effort between the American Red Cross and US Sailing.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1882502485/002-2393248-2466437?v=glance&n=283155

It's a pretty good basic introduction for the never-ever with nice
pictures and not a lot of extraneous terminology (that can come later).

Sailing is no more or less difficult than riding a bike, but you have to
*do* it in order to learn it. Finding an opportunity to actually do it
will be much more valuable than any book. I'd recommend small boats and
cold water - there is no better way to learn.

//Walt

posted to alt.sailing.asa

A very well-written, basic sailing book is The Essential Sailor, by Jim
Saltonstall. Beyond that, the USSailing books are pretty good, but have some
deficits. The ASA books are a bit better technically, but lack the
readability of the USSailing ones. Then, of course, there are the biggies
like Chapmans and The Annopolis Book of Seamanship.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"RogueIT" wrote in message
ps.com...
Looking for a little advise on what I could read to get a good overall
knowledge of sailing. I plan on taking a power squadron class but would
like to know more than nothing before I get there. In fact I know I
don't know anything so that is something...right?

Any advise would be great.
thanks,
Scott

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Chapman's Pikoting is one good source for all round seamanship; there's
also a Dummy book pn sailing for the semi-literate. If you want to get
really into ot, get a Bowditch or a Bluejacket Mariners and get totally
swamped in terms and lingo.

RogueIT wrote:
Looking for a little advise on what I could read to get a good overall
knowledge of sailing. I plan on taking a power squadron class but would
like to know more than nothing before I get there. In fact I know I
don't know anything so that is something...right?

Any advise would be great.
thanks,
Scott

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message ...
| Chapman's Pikoting is one good source for all round seamanship; there's
| also a Dummy book pn sailing for the semi-literate. If you want to get
| really into ot, get a Bowditch or a Bluejacket Mariners and get totally
| swamped in terms and lingo.

Get an education and you won't be totally swamped by terms and lingo...

Paladin

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message
Chapman's Pikoting is one good source for all round anti-management
practices by organized labor.

Katy

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Maxprop wrote:
"katy" wrote in message
Chapman's Pikoting is one good source for all round anti-management
practices by organized labor.

Katy

huh?????