posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Default Tonights sail

Was Dynamite~ First time I've seen flat water so far behind the transom
turning into a rooster tail about 4-6 foot behind the boat. All I used
tonight was the main.... wind 18-25, getting the cunningham adjustments
down and working on pointing higher. My rudder before was a joke
compared to now. Before the turbulance/slippage was so bad I think
thats was causing all my problems, now no turbulance and large enough
it's smooth as glass with no cavitation on the trailing edge.

Almost messed up big time not having the board up and aft running
downwind, and inch or two to much tiller in the wrong direction it
would have gotten real ugly,,,,,, pitch pole death roll kinda ugly..it
was almost scary.....i loved it!

We are suppose to have wind and squalls all weekend!

I can't wait.

If only I took my spinnaker tonight for that downwind run.......

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Joe wrote:
Was Dynamite~ First time I've seen flat water so far behind the transom
turning into a rooster tail about 4-6 foot behind the boat.

Sounds like fun... in my experience though, when things get
exciting, you really don't have the leisure to look around...

.... All I used
tonight was the main.... wind 18-25, getting the cunningham adjustments
down and working on pointing higher.

Just remember the boat will point differently with the jib.

... My rudder before was a joke
compared to now. Before the turbulance/slippage was so bad I think
thats was causing all my problems, now no turbulance and large enough
it's smooth as glass with no cavitation on the trailing edge.

A good rudder, partuclarly one with no slop or play, will
make a huge difference in the controllability of the boat.

Almost messed up big time not having the board up and aft running
downwind, and inch or two to much tiller in the wrong direction it
would have gotten real ugly,,,,,, pitch pole death roll kinda ugly..it
was almost scary.....i loved it!

What's scary about capsizing?

We are suppose to have wind and squalls all weekend!

I can't wait.

If only I took my spinnaker tonight for that downwind run.......

My suggestion is to work on the spinnaker in winds 5 ~ 10...
so that you can get the bugs worked out and see what it does
under "normal" circumstances. Lighter winds make it too
finickey, and teaches bad habits. Flying a spinnaker in
light air is one of the most demanding skills (and a totally
useless skill for any other endeavor in life).

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

DSK wrote:
Joe wrote:
Was Dynamite~ First time I've seen flat water so far behind the transom
turning into a rooster tail about 4-6 foot behind the boat.

Sounds like fun... in my experience though, when things get
exciting, you really don't have the leisure to look around...

Thats what I was thinking, wondering how I could get a picture for you
guys ;0)

.... All I used
tonight was the main.... wind 18-25, getting the cunningham adjustments
down and working on pointing higher.

Just remember the boat will point differently with the jib.

Yeah I know, just thought it was a bit much wind for a full set, maybe
today..

... My rudder before was a joke
compared to now. Before the turbulance/slippage was so bad I think
thats was causing all my problems, now no turbulance and large enough
it's smooth as glass with no cavitation on the trailing edge.

A good rudder, partuclarly one with no slop or play, will
make a huge difference in the controllability of the boat.

No doubt in my mind!

Almost messed up big time not having the board up and aft running
downwind, and inch or two to much tiller in the wrong direction it
would have gotten real ugly,,,,,, pitch pole death roll kinda ugly..it
was almost scary.....i loved it!

What's scary about capsizing?

Nothing, but pitchpoling/death roll while on plane might tear up a
buncha stuff, including me :0)

Having to fix it all, instead of sailing is scary too!

We are suppose to have wind and squalls all weekend!

I can't wait.

If only I took my spinnaker tonight for that downwind run.......

My suggestion is to work on the spinnaker in winds 5 ~ 10...
so that you can get the bugs worked out and see what it does
under "normal" circumstances. Lighter winds make it too
finickey, and teaches bad habits. Flying a spinnaker in
light air is one of the most demanding skills (and a totally
useless skill for any other endeavor in life).

Winds S at 15 right now, a few more cups of java and I'm outta here

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Joe