Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Default My Swimming Skills

As interest in Bobsprit swells, I think it's best to be clear about
some things, even if my participation here will be quite limited here
for the next few months....

While everyone here is suddenly a retired Mark Spitz who repairs cruise
ship propellers underwater and using sea sponges for air....I'll
actually define my swimming ability honestly.

I currently weigh in an 215 lbs at 6'3 tall. My upper body is comprised
of longer muscle strands, which gives me good initial power well beyond
that of most men. At the age of 12 I passed a swimming test for
certificate allowing me to join in advanced water sports at PA private
camps. I was one of the youngest to pass.

Currently I'd rate my swimming ability as "good" but not exceptional.
There are folks who get to swim everyday. That means their muscles are
really in shape for that specific activity. No part time swimmer can
match this. I clean my own keel and can hold my breath longer than most
people. Under reasonable temps I could swim from even the widest point
of the LIS back to shore, which I think is a very basic capability for
folks who singlehand coastal. You should be able to swim a few miles
with ease and I don't think it's unreasonable for every sailor to be
capable of swimming 5-8 miles at least.
I'm not a fast swimmer, but I'm strong in the water and confident. Two
years ago we had a friend swimming near the boat suffer a panic attack.
It instantly eshausted him, but I was easily able to pull him from the
water. If you can't do this you shouldn't be on the water.

RB
35s5
NY

RB
35s5
NY

A new warning system for boating and swimming men up north JimH General 6 May 17th 06 04:36 PM
Do not look like a dolphin while swimming. Calif Bill General 3 April 30th 06 02:08 AM
Swimming holes in Alabama Jazz General 0 April 19th 06 12:22 AM
Sun Compass Skills Skipper General 55 January 5th 06 06:22 PM
Trolling Skills Capt. Rob ASA 0 December 2nd 05 11:42 AM