posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Default On the Hans Horrevoets incident.

Every season brings joy to some and tragedy to somebody else, this has
not been a good year for a number of friends & family.

This was really an accident that shows what the stakes are... at first,
many people (including me) said "why no harness?" but this news article
explains that. Thanks for posting it, Oz1. From what they said,
everything was done about as skillfully & efficiently as it could be.
The ocean will claim it's own, and take by force if necessary.

With deepest sympathy for those who have lost a loved one
Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Frank

Sorry, guys, I gotta disagree.

First and foremost, I sympathize with his family. A terrible loss for
them. I also don't fault the crew for their MOB procedures. I'm sure
they did everything possible.

However, I don't see that the interview truly explains why he wasn't
harnessed. Like Oz1 sez, downhill in high seas and 25+ knots flying the
chute in cold water. Everyone should have been harnessed before
starting their watch, not thinking "Ah, it's ok. We can go below and
get harnessed and come back on deck if/when it deteriorates." These are
experienced, professional racers. They were too casual and it cost his
family everything.

"The sea will claim its own" is not applicable here. This was his
fault, not the ocean's. "He died doing what he loved." Would have been
more fun for him and his family if he'd continued to live, doing what
he loved and taking care of those he loved.

Frank

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

''Simon Fisher on what happened:

We had all got up for a sail change, had everyone on deck.
There was 12 knots of wind. During that change, the wind
went from 12-14 knots to 25 knots quite quickly.''

IMHO, He wasn't wearing a harness because he chose not to.
His decision, right or wrong, his choice (as it should be).

Thanks for the link, Ozzy.

Scotty

"Frank" wrote in message
oups.com..
..
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa
SUZY

Scotty on an corporate sponsered open ocean racer, in the top race
after the American cups race IMO.. it would be wise for all to be
required to wear a harness. These guys are Professional sailors and
should prepare in a professional way.

That being said, I seldom wear a harness and never a life jacket on
RedCloud, and never a lifejacket on my Dink. But I'm a strong swimmer
and feel a jacket or harness can entangle you and cause more harm then
it could prevent. I do have jackets on the boats. Now if I were out in
the middle of the pacific or atlantic on the bow fighting a big sail in
building weather I'd be tied to something and have a PFD.

It's a personal gamble for us to decide not to wear some safety gear,
but professionals engaged in a profession should set an example for
others to follow.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

That being said, I seldom wear a harness and never a life jacket on
RedCloud, and never a lifejacket on my Dink.

Joe, the retard is now posting as Suzy...and signing "Joe."
Make that "Joe the totally fruited out retard!"

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
SUZY

Whats the problem Mys Terry?
Does this bother you ?

Joe has never used a sock puppet ...he has no need. NEVER!

Capt. Suzy
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Joe!

Stop posting as me, It's ****ing off bubbles!

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaa

Capt. Suzy
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
SUZY

Joe wrote:
Joe!

Stop posting as me, It's ****ing off bubbles!

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaa

Capt. Suzy
35s5
NY

Joe

Robert bought a boat and became Mys Terry and left home when I was 33
And he didn't leave much to lil thom and me
Just this old sailboat and an empty bottle of booze.
Now, I don't blame him cause he run and hid
But the meanest thing that he ever did
Was before he left, he went and named me "Sue."

Well, he must o' thought that is quite a joke
And it got a lot of laughs from a' lots of folk,
It seems I had to fight my whole life through.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a anyone named "Sue."

Well, I grew up quick and I grew up mean,
My fist got hard and my wits got keen,
I'd roam from town to town to hide my shame.
But I made a vow to the moon and stars
That I'd search the honky-tonks and Sailor bars
And kill that man who gave me that awful name.

Well, it was New York City in mid-July
And I just hit town and my throat was dry,
I thought I'd stop and have myself a brew.
At an old saloon on a street of mud,
There at a table, dealing stud,
Sat the dirty, mangy dog that named me "Sue."

Well, I knew that snake was my own sweet Nutsy
From a worn-out picture that my son had,

And I knew that scar on his cheek and his evil eye.
He was fat and bent and gray and old,
And I looked at him and my blood ran cold
And I said: "My name is 'Sue!' How do you do!
Now your gonna die!!"

Well, I hit him hard right between the eyes
And he went down, but to my surprise,
He come up with a knife and cut off a piece of my ear.
But I busted a chair right across his teeth
And we crashed through the wall and into the street
Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

I tell ya, I've fought tougher men
But I really can't remember when,
He kicked like a mule and he bit like a crocodile.
I heard him laugh and then I heard him cuss,
He went for his gun and I pulled mine first,
He stood there lookin' at me and I saw him smile.

And he said: "Suzy, this world is rough
And if a sailor's gonna make it, they gotta be tough
And I knew I wouldn't be there to help ya along.
So I give ya that name and I said goodbye
I knew you'd have to get tough or die
And it's the name that helped to make you strong."

He said: "Now you just fought one hell of a fight
And I know you hate me, and you got the right
To kill me now, and I wouldn't blame you if you do.
But ya ought to thank me, before I die,
For the gravel in ya guts and the spit in ya eye
Cause I'm the son-of-a-bitch that named you "Sue.'"

I got all choked up and I threw down my gun
And I called him Bubbles , and he called me his sue,
And I came away with a different point of view.
And I think about him, now and then,
Every time I try and every time I win,
And if I ever have a son, I think I'm gonna name him
Bill or George! Anything but Sue! I still hate that name!

Capt Suzy
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

I got all choked up and I threw down my gun
And I called him Bubbles

Truly scary, folks. He's well off the deep end. He also can't use a
computer well enough to know who's who. Ah well...fine by me!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

--
"Swab Rob" wrote

Joe, is now posting as Suzy...

You just figured that out today, asswipe?

BRILLIANT!

SV