posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Default Ol' Thom/Crewman

Thom Stewart wrote:

Group;

Here is the boat my crew member picked up. I'll try to crew for him.

Doug,or whoever, Talk to me about setting Standing Rigging without back
stay adjuster, Need to know on this Ranger.

Thanks,
Ol Thom

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

Hi Thom-
Definitely go sailing on this boat! It's a Ranger 20, often
called the 'Kent Ranger' to seperate them from the
Cal/Ranger series. Very original designs and it works well.
These boats are deceptively fast, we had one dogging us in
the Lightning in many races.

About setting up the standing rigging... I don't know the
specific tuning, but you will definitely want to check out
the mast support post inside & the step... thoroughly. A bit
of 'deferred maintenance' by some previous owner could
produce an embarassing & costly crashy-thumpy noise.

To set the mast up (just like any fractional rig) leave the
backstay and lower shrouds very loose at first, and the
upper shrouds somewhat loose. Stand the mast up and set the
rake by adjusting the forestay so it looks like the mast is
only slightly tilted back. Then set up the backstay so that
it's snug but not tight. Now hook a tape measure to the main
halyard and measure to the chainplates on the transom (or
some other easily identifiable, permanent landmark) and note
that in the log as the rake measurement.

Now take the tape measure and check to each upper shroud
chainplate. Should be the same so that the mast is vertical
to the boat. The lowers should still be loose. When the mast
is vertical to the boat (and you'd be amazed how many boats
don't sit level... a plum bob is worse than useless for
tuning), and the rake is where you want it, pull tension
evenly on the upper shrouds. This will bend the mast! Sight
up the sail track to make sure that the mast is still
perfectly straight side-to-side, the curve should be all
fore & aft... then tighten the upper shrouds to about 150#
tension or you get 3 ~ 4" of bend, whichever comes first.

Now tighten the lower shrouds evenly, continuing to sight up
the sail track to make sure it stays straight athwartship.
This will pull the bend out of the mast. If your sails are
relatively full & you sail in light wind much of the time,
pull the mast to almost straight. If your sails are fairly
new and/or you sail in good wind, leave an inch or two of curve.

The backstay should now be tightened until it just barely
increases the curve in the mast, sighting up the sail track
some more.

I'd recommend putting on a new adjustable backstay. If the
boat is trailered regularly (and these boats trailer fairly
easily) then you can put on 5mm Spectra line spliced at each
end with a carabiner to hooking it to a 3:1 tackle, unrigs
easily & quickly and give a great 'first reef' sail control.

Your crew made a good pick on this one! Hope you both have
some good times sailing.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Thom Stewart

Thanks Doug,

That was "Exactly" the information I was looking for.

Will print it out and hand a copy to Don.

Thanks again
Thom

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Thom Stewart

Doug,

Don, my crewman, is a Dutchman and I mean "Mister Clean" We were, in
every sense, the odd couple. He has two other people with him cleaning
the boat. I handed the copy of your post and he was tickled pink,

By the way; it does have an adjustable back stay, A turnbuckle.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Thom Stewart wrote:
Don, my crewman, is a Dutchman and I mean "Mister Clean" We were, in
every sense, the odd couple. He has two other people with him cleaning
the boat. I handed the copy of your post and he was tickled pink,

Glad to be of help.

By the way; it does have an adjustable back stay, A turnbuckle.

Hmm, that's good but not really any more adjustable than any
other piece of standing rigging with a turnbuckle.

A backstay that is easily adjustable, like say for example
the way the boom vang is, makes a great sail control. If
OTOH you tend to adjust your boom vang only once or twice a
season, then you probably don't want any more adjustment on
the backstay. It's a matter of personal prefereence.

A fractional sloop like this can benefit greatly from
'working' the backstay... in fact it's the second most
important sail control in gusty weather.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Thom Stewart

Doug,

I agree with you about the backstay adjuster, "Pneuma" has a split "V"
back stay an I fitted a Johnson Adjuster. A single pull for upwind and a
simple release adjustment for off the wind. That was MY boat. I printed
your reply. The rest is up to Don.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Paladin

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message ...
| Doug,
|
| I agree with you about the backstay adjuster, "Pneuma" has a split "V"
| back stay an I fitted a Johnson Adjuster. A single pull for upwind and a
| simple release adjustment for off the wind. That was MY boat. I printed
| your reply. The rest is up to Don.

Had had had? Why don't you post to alt.retired.asa? You have nothing to offer
but memories. Go away you has-been old screwball. We need people who sail,
not people who used to sail.

Paladin

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Thom Stewart

Doug,

All my boats have been Mast Head Rigs. I carried about a 3" sag in my
Fore stay for Back stay adjustment on Pneuma, I've noted 0 sag in the
fractional rig. Is this normal? Is all the Main shaping done with to top
of the mast and cunningham ONLY?

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Thom Stewart

Anyone;

Does anyone know the Phrf rating on the Kent Ranger 20? With and wihout
"Flying Sails"

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage