posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Default Bad Radio Tips From Crantz

His beloved Icom has NO BACKLITE control, just contrast adjustment and
no adjustments on the handsets which will BLIND YOU. Horrible. Go to
the website and download the manual.

The SH Quantum has proper control of display illumination and displays
can be turned OFF for the best possible control of night vision
INCLUDING THE HANDSETS.

Also: The SH Comand mic has fuller control over the radio, while Icom
is careful to say "nearly every control."

Nice to know my free radio beats the much more expensive Icom. I guess
that's why most comercial fishing boats and tugs around here use radios
like mine!

Thanks, Bob!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...
His beloved Icom has NO BACKLITE control, just contrast adjustment and
no adjustments on the handsets which will BLIND YOU. Horrible. Go to
the website and download the manual.

Liar!

The SH Quantum has proper control of display illumination and displays
can be turned OFF for the best possible control of night vision
INCLUDING THE HANDSETS.

The handset is the size of a sewer lid!

Also: The SH Comand mic has fuller control over the radio, while Icom
is careful to say "nearly every control."

The Icom has more controllable features. Count them!

Nice to know my free radio beats the much more expensive Icom. I guess
that's why most comercial fishing boats and tugs around here use radios
like mine!

As anchors and line weights!

Icom! ICOM!!!! ICOM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Bob!

You're welcome!

(PS: I have one Icom wide band all mode receiver, I wouldn't buy one again.
Battery life too short, buttons too small, display too small and there's too
many birdies in it for my usage. It's a lot in a small package but there'
short comings.)

Glory!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Liar!

NO BACKLITE control. Read the manual. Icom feels that it's level of
illumination is low enough to protect night vision. Luckily a more
professional company like Standard Horizon understands what folks like
Bob wants and allow for control of the display properly. Sounds like
Bob needs to get the Quantum.

The Icom has more controllable features. Count them!

The SH mic has more controls and a panel with control over BACKLITE!
What was Icom thinking? You put that Icom torch up near you face and
it's going to be like the 4th of July in your retina!

The handset is the size of a sewer lid!

Only because I said it was a bit large, but really about the same size
of the lesser Icom Command mic with it's blinding display. I think Icom
figured it was a daytime only radio for Scotty.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Liar!

NO BACKLITE control. Read the manual. Icom feels that it's level of
illumination is low enough to protect night vision. Luckily a more
professional company like Standard Horizon understands what folks like
Bob wants and allow for control of the display properly. Sounds like
Bob needs to get the Quantum.

The Icom has more controllable features. Count them!

The SH mic has more controls and a panel with control over BACKLITE!
What was Icom thinking? You put that Icom torch up near you face and
it's going to be like the 4th of July in your retina!

The handset is the size of a sewer lid!

Only because I said it was a bit large, but really about the same size
of the lesser Icom Command mic with it's blinding display. I think Icom
figured it was a daytime only radio for Scotty.

I have a thing against Icoms. I can't exactly put my finger on it (actually
I can, it's their "feel") but they seem cheap and don't operate as well as
other radios. If it's my money, Icom, in general, would not be a first
choice. Motorola makes a good commercial radio. They may be a little bit
behind in features but they are solid and reliable.

Glory!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

I have a thing against Icoms. I can't exactly put my finger on it
(actually
I can, it's their "feel") but they seem cheap and don't operate as well
as
other radios. If it's my money, Icom, in general, would not be a first
choice. Motorola makes a good commercial radio.

For marine VHF on recreation vessels, Icom and Standard Horizon are
among the better models around. Uniden is hot on their tail and has
some interesting stuff, but older models were cheap and it's hard to
shake the stigma. For professional use on local fishing boats, tugs or
whatever you're likely to see the same radios found on my boat. I do
see a lot of Ray Jeffs on ski boats, walk-around fishing boats and
launches. I had a Ray Jeff that crapped out fast, probably just bad
luck.
They're essentially all spec'd out very close and built pretty well.
It's hard to go wrong, though spending a bit more on a better handheld
is probably a good idea. BTW, quite a few submersible radios may
survive a dunking but won't work right after because the power
connectors at the back are not sealed properly. Same with many
handhelds...the radio is sealed, but not the battery-to-unit
connection. My Icom MV-1 worked after sitting in water, but I have
doubts about the tiny Uniden voyager I use now.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Some of those neoprene or plastic radio condoms may help a radio survive.
Also you could pack the connectors/interfaces with dielectric grease to keep
water out.