posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Default Aero Rig Expedition Yacht

A very cool yacht in aluminum with an Aero Rig.

http://www.yachtmonalisa.com/

posted to alt.sailing.asa
LLoyd Bonafide

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message ...
A very cool yacht in aluminum with an Aero Rig.

http://www.yachtmonalisa.com/

Joe will love that thing. When there's no wind does the rig rotate and flap?

Lloyd

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

to much $ for the thing..seen it before..close to a million bucks

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Not worth it IMO.

I like the boat but its a 300K boat at best.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scout

OzOne wrote in message ...
On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 17:59:43 -0400, "Bart Senior" .@. scribbled
thusly:

A very cool yacht in aluminum with an Aero Rig.

http://www.yachtmonalisa.com/

Not the sort of boat I'd like to be sitting on in a force 9 ..too much
windage up there for my liking.

that rig might get spinning fast enough to helicopter you to a safer place.
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Force 9 Max's out at: 47 knots, 75 km/hr, and 54 mph.

This boat could claw it's way upwind in Force 9. Keep in
mind it is both a heavy boat, and one that is easy to sail. This
boat weights in a four times the weight of an Open 60.

Downwind the apparent wind would be less, and windage
would less of a problem.

At Force 10--then I'd be worried about windage.

The interesting thing about the boat is it is easy to shorthand sail
and gives the crew substantial protection. Think about it--it
could handle Artic conditions and take you places you would be
afraid to go in other boats. Also, hull speed is 10 knots. Hitting
a "bergie bit" would not be a huge concern like most other boats.
And it has enough water tight bulkheads to stay afloat no matter
what it hits. It is obviously set up to be a cold weather boat.

I find the idea of Artic and Antarctic sailing very appealing--it
is like traveling to another planet on a spaceship. If you are
totally on your own, how rugged and redundant a boat do you
want? In this boat you could sail the Northwest Passage solo.

The pilothouse is a nice place to hang out at anchor. You will
notice the top could be cut off and there is still a conventional
companionway. It would be nice if all that Plexiglas could come
off in nice weather.

It has an impressive range under power, 1000 gallons of fuel, which
means you can keep to a schedule if you have to.

Here is what I don't like about the boat.

The twin rudders. They are not behind a protective keel. They
seem vulnerable. I'd rather have a rudder is a cassette that turns
so I could pop in a new one if one breaks.

It would be nice if it could optionally carry more crew. Four is
small for a boat this size.

The cockpit looks too small to sleep in. I like sleeping on deck
on warm nights. Perhaps one could sleep athwartships?

It doesn't have nearly enough ventilation for warm weather.

It only has two sets of reef points. I'd prefer three.

I don't like the gangplank being fixed upright in the back. That
belongs on deck during an ocean passage.

What would you chose to be in sailing upwind in the Southern
Ocean?

OzOne wrote

"Bart Senior" .@. scribbled thusly:
A very cool yacht in aluminum with an Aero Rig.
http://www.yachtmonalisa.com/

Not the sort of boat I'd like to be sitting on in a force 9 ..too much
windage up there for my liking.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.